Favourite Crisps & Snacks!

AvfcRigo82

32 minutes ago, Xela said:

If i'm slumming it a bit, then these are a favourite...

91-Fs-GH4-OZL-AC-SL1500.jpg

I'm not sure if it's just me and I'm getting old, but I swear the flavour on these is bloody intense!

Cracking with a few beers mind. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I'm not sure if it's just me and I'm getting old, but I swear the flavour on these is bloody intense!

Cracking with a few beers mind. 

Its not you, I agree! They will absorb any moisture from your gob unless you have some liquid refreshment. Salt and vinegar pringles are similar, but not quite as intense. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Monopoly on both crisps and snacks in the UK now, yes.

Could have been alot different though, but that's greedy owners/investors for you!

Ultimately Walkers is owned by PepsiCo and has been for some years.  You might have seen Lay's crisps when abroad and noticed the logo was the same / similar.   Well they own them, as well as Doritos, Cheetos, snack-a-jacks, etc...

Anyway, I'm quite partial to these:

image.jpg

Edited by trekka
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, trekka said:

Ultimately Walkers is owned by PepsiCo and has been for some years.  You might have seen Lay's crisps when abroad and noticed the logo was the same / similar.   Well they own them, as well as Doritos, Cheetos, snack-a-jacks, etc...

You're right.

Frito-Lay acquired Walkers and all part of the PepsiCo family. I tried Lays when I was in the Algarve years ago but they're not as nice I didn't think.

But with the massive backing of PepsiCo, Walkers were able to start dominating, aquiring Smiths along the way and then the Wotsits brand from GW in the early 2000's.

They had their own version of Cheetos puffs over here to try and match Wotsits but they were never as good and couldn't compete with GW Wotsits.

Cheetos in USA are lovely though (NikNak type) and now Walkers have launched them here under the Wotsit Crunchy brand - and they're just the same and lovely (It pains me to say).

GW really f**** up selling out all them years ago.

• Like 1

I would murder people for a packet of the old BBQ Wotsits. Possibly the greatest puffed crisp snack ever conceived.

Remember when Salt & Vinegar packets were blue, not green?

What else, what else... ah, Spar used to have these own-brand crisps, Burger Bites they called them, essentially BBQ puffed snacks (sensing a theme in my younger palette). Dirt cheap and a decent sized packet at that.

Friend of mine once sustained himself for 3 days of festival camping on a diet of just Space Raiders and Blue Charge (Asda-brand Red Bull). To this today I have no idea how he's still alive. That's not an exaggeration either, that is literally all he ate and drank for 3 days.

I swear you used to get other flavours of Skips than Prawn Cocktail.

And what the hell flavour is Prawn Cocktail anyway? I mean I'm quite partial, but no prawn nor cocktail I have ever consumed has even remotely resembled whatever flavour the crisps actually are.

Roysters are up there, the big bbq hula hoops are also very good. I have a penchant for Bobbys Bbq Snax, normally found it a cheap convenience store. Also Peking Rib sensations crackers (similar texture to prawn crackers).

Outside of crisps, I do like the Jacobs salt and vinegar cracker crisps. 

They weren’t out for long, but McCoys Muchos Spicy Chicken were immense.

Edited by mikeyp102

On 02/05/2023 at 18:56, trekka said:

Pickled cucumber.  It must be sliced mind (not too thinly sliced) and have been soaked in malt vinegar for a few days.  It used to be a Christmas thing - I turn up to Brum and one of the things I do in my parent's kitchen is to prepare pickled cucumber for over the period (mainly just for me).  Nowadays, I make it once or twice a month at home :D.  I haven't yet tried deep frying the stuff but it's on the list!

Cucumber-Pickles-1.jpg

(not my pic). 

spacer.png

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, GarethRDR said:

Remember when Salt & Vinegar packets were blue, not green?

this one often comes up , but  Walkers salt and vinegar have always been green  , never blue 

Golden Wonder Salt & Vinegar still are blue  as are McCoys , Smiths , Seabrooks and Pringles etc

• Like 3

4 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

this one often comes up , but  Walkers salt and vinegar have always been green  , never blue 

Golden Wonder Salt & Vinegar still are blue  as are McCoys , Smiths , Seabrooks and Pringles etc

I think it has to be highlighted that tony is in the pocket of Big Snack, and we don't know how far this conspiracy goes.

• Haha 4

Â