Ratings & Reactions: Man United v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

148 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/05/23 at 22:59

2 minutes ago, robby b said:

Not a single attempt on target from us in the 2nd half, that really is poor. And only one on target in the 1st half. And that's three games in a row now that we haven't played well overall. The quality has dropped off significantly and we seem to have run out of steam.

Dougie had two shots on targets in that melee that Lindelof cleared off the line with his head

• Like 3

We are running out of steam a bit, but I am still 100% proud of our achievements so far under Emery and particularly in that second half where we were the better team.

We deserved a point. I thought we might lose this one, so no shame in this result at all. End of the run, but no way has the momentum been stopped. Well played boys and on to the next match.

• Like 4

Meh.

Unless you're Preston North End 1888-89 or Arsenal 2003-04, you're going to lose one once in a while. I said about a week ago that if we had to lose one the rest of the season, I'd rather lose this one and take points off our direct competitors. I'm not going to worry about this one too much.

This match came down to tactics. Unai played a risky tactical game the first half. It didn't pay off. He made the right adjustments second half and we played them essentially even. On a luckier day, we might have nicked a point.

MOTM for me was between Martinez and Mings. I'm giving it to Mings because I've already given it to Emi many times this year. JJ also played well in stretches, but wasn't consistent enough for me to consider him.

Ten Hag really has Man U organized well. In recent years when we've played them, I always felt like they had their defensive weaknesses, but today, they pressed well, they used a mid-block well, and they made many good tackles and blocks in the last third when we actually got there. I would not rule out that they could beat City in the FA Cup final.

We had to lose one eventually and it was always probably going to be this one. We now need to bounce back and win our next one. Better in the second half today, unlucky that the ball was deflected in for their winner. Would have been nice if Malacia and Casemiro, hadn't been given licence to foul with impunity by the ref and it just had to be that git Bruno yet again didn't it?:rolleyes:

• Like 2

The run was going to end at some point. 

A narrow defeat at a team higher than us. Hardly worth being worried about.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TomC said:

Meh.

Unless you're Preston North End 1888-89 or Arsenal 2003-04, you're going to lose one once in a while. I said about a week ago that if we had to lose one the rest of the season, I'd rather lose this one and take points off our direct competitors. I'm not going to worry about this one too much.

Spot on.  Man Utd and Liverpool away are the bonus games.  We need to be winning against Wolves, Spurs and Brighton.

Edit:  By "need to be winning", that'd be for Europe.

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

We are running out of steam a bit, but I am still 100% proud of our achievements so far under Emery and particularly in that second half where we were the better team.

We deserved a point. I thought we might lose this one, so no shame in this result at all. End of the run, but no way has the momentum been stopped. Well played boys and on to the next match.

I thought we looked better in the second half once the rain subsided. I think certain players just looked off today. Duran was a breathe of fresh air. 

• Like 2

I bloody hate man yoo. Ratsards. 🐀

Overall think they got their tactics spot on first half. They were at times playing 3-2-5 and kept going over our midfield. We wrested the initiative in the second half and should have at least scored.

Casemiro should have got a yellow for that Ramsey challenge and it changes the flow in the first half. Definitely need some players back as we looked mentally tired overall. 

9 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

It’s just his style. He’s the same every match, doesn’t give fouls or cards. He refs it like an Australian league game. 

Agreed. He let a lot go, but he was consistent.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Such a shame after our epic run of late to loose to these lot, but as others have said we gave it a good go 2nd half and they couldn’t have argued if we’d got one back.

Europe still on for me, trust Unai to pick them up and have the team right at it against Wolves. Fancy us to grab three point there and then on to Spurs, who we should have as well.

Forgot how it felt to loose a little and not very happy, but stepping back, we’re still in a better place than we have been for years. And I’m still feeling good about our chances for the rest of the season 

Edited by Dan-BrightonVillan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, VillanousOne said:

quick everyone over to the Buendia thread, time to get some blame in

I’ve been defending him on this board but even I have to say he was poor today.  Amount of times he lost the ball or passed to their players.  I have faith him but today was a really poor day for him personally.

• Like 1

Rated emery as poor today. It was clear we needed pace from the start,  suprised kaden Young wasn't brought on at half time for emi b who had an absolute shocker, he wasn't the only one but to leave him on to mess up every attack or just give the ball away or even worse, just give up. It wasn't his day and that was clear from the shambles of the 1st half. He should not have come out for the 2nd.

Watkins yet again refusing to do any of the graft, taking balls off other villa players who were in better position to use the ball. Ever since his brilliant decision to tell the world the tactics emery had given him. Genius 🤦🤦🤦

Ramsey was weak slow and just like the end of each season previously, disappears and becomes a shadow of himself.

Doug today aswell looked way off.

Disappointed that so many players have gone off form all at once when there was a chance of 5th. The way its looking, 8th May be as good as it gets.

Emery should have made the changes after 60 minutes and unfortunately left it far too late although off form Dougie should have scored.

And taking a minute plus to decide on the last kick of the game and then not having a direct shot at goal ? Come on, that is utter basics.

Over reaction ? Possibly but everything I've said I 100% believe 

• Haha 1

Just now, VillanousOne said:

quick everyone over to the Buendia thread, time to get some blame in

Yeah, he wasn't great though, again. It's almost as if he loses his rag when he isn't 'allowed' to play a sexy through ball, which is pretty often in this league.

He is capable of excellent things, but very much upgradable, as I imagine he will be in the summer, unless Unai finds a different role for him.

• Like 1

Â