The Not Villa Summer Transfer Window 2023

His Name Is Death

55 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Maybe Eni Aluko knew something about this Rice deal after all then 😂

No chance. People at City should be sacked if they're wasting time doing favours strengthening their nearest title rivals.

34 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

No chance. People at City should be sacked if they're wasting time doing favours strengthening their nearest title rivals.

Blowing £100m on a player like Rice isn’t good business for Arsenal. They don’t have infinite money or room in the FFP regs so I think they should be getting better value from what they spend than Declan Rice.

City will be delighted their closest rival last year are blowing their transfer budget on someone that’ll at best maintain their squad.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rustibrooks said:

Maybe Eni Aluko knew something about this Rice deal after all then 😂

This would be the most shocking thing about the Rice transfer. 

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Genie said:

Blowing £100m on a player like Rice isn’t good business for Arsenal. They don’t have infinite money or room in the FFP regs so I think they should be getting better value from what they spend than Declan Rice.

City will be delighted their closest rival last year are blowing their transfer budget on someone that’ll at best maintain their squad.

Spending £170m on Rice and Havertz is terrible business.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, duke313 said:

Spending £170m on Rice and Havertz is terrible business.

19 goals in 91 games is criminal really. I know a lot were sub appearances but also illustrates the fact he failed to hold down his place. £70m is a ludicrous fee. 

I suspect Arteta will be gone by Christmas when these purchases don’t convert into results. 

Edited by Genie

9 minutes ago, Genie said:

19 goals in 91 games is criminal really. I know a lot were sub appearances but also illustrates the fact he failed to hold down his place. £70m is a ludicrous fee. 

I suspect Arteta will be gone by Christmas when these purchases don’t convert into results. 

I think that's quite the hot take on Arteta.

Havertz is not a striker anyway and has been misused at Chelsea, whether Arteta can revive him remains to be seen.

16 minutes ago, Mr_Dogg said:

I think that's quite the hot take on Arteta.

Havertz is not a striker anyway and has been misused at Chelsea, whether Arteta can revive him remains to be seen.

I think expectation levels have been ramped up after last year, throw in major financial backing then he’ll be in trouble if they are not in the top 2/3 (which is entirely possible).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

I think expectation levels have been ramped up after last year, throw in major financial backing then he’ll be in trouble if they are not in the top 2/3 (which is entirely possible).

I agree. Rice expenditure is going to cripple their other investment, and I'm not sure they've got the striker to repeat last year's over achievement.  I think their end of season form will continue, and they'll be a top 4 contender rather than a title contender.

Whether that sees Arteta removed though is probably a bolder call

Edited by MrBlack

Havertz is very talented and in the right system could be a Bergkampesque signing for them. However I don't see him fitting in to the way they played last season as Odegaard and Saka take up the spaces he would be most effective in.

He would have been incredible for us playing as a right sided number 10 behind Ollie Watkins.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

105m for Declan Rice, the world has gone absolutely insane.

At least Grealish gets people out of their seats for his £100m price tag. Rice just saunters around the middle of the pitch doing short, safe passes. Arsenal having their pants pulled down here.