• Ramsey
    • Watkins
    • Digne (Moreno 77)
    • Traoré (Ramsey 77)
    • Chambers (Young 85)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 27/04/23 at 22:59

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

If you think that was awful, I would love to know what words you would use to describe the team’s efforts between August 2021 and November 2022.

I mean I'd use the same word for plenty of them. Obviously the context the game happened in is completely and totally different, I'm not saying otherwise. 

13 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Fulham had a single wayward shot. Excellent defensive showing by all 11. 

Yes, and to think it was in the first minute. Annoying and frustrating that we didn't have an attempt on target in the 2nd half... but then Fulham didn't have any attempt at all in the 2nd half! So if I was a Fulham fan I'd feel angry about it, that was really awful from them: just 1 shot in the whole game and not even on target! Blimey.

Thank goodness we now have four whole days to recover and get some much needed rest. Plus, hope Ollie's new baby is sleeping well! :s

Fulham were hopeless and we proceeded to switch off once we had scored and became careless. We then struggled to raise our game when Fulham started to get a foot hold in the game, they never really threatened though. Ramsey and Moreno both got hurt and we lost the outlet on the left, hopefully they are both fit for Sunday.

Great result, Emery's Villa is breaking records and threatening the not so big 6.

• Like 1

I can only conclude that Emery thought the team were tired, to explain the slow pace of the first-half but I had no complaints about that, as they controlled the game completely.

The second-half was another thing entirely, with one mistake quickly following the last.

A couple of players were particularly poor but I won't name names because as they say: no names, no pack drill.

• Like 1

This is part of our new reality and it beats losing so get used to it. 3 points feels good, thank you.

Was dragged to the pub so I took my my iPad and selfishly had it on. We looked totally dominant and untroubled first half, once ahead we just it kicked around our own box, they didn’t even bother to press, it was easy, we didn’t have to try too hard. I blame them. 

Quite happy to accept another 5 of those if necessary until we freshen up our offensive in the summer.

Just now, Bizzzle said:

My god that second half was torture but **** it we won! McManaman is an irritating word removed and did my head in all game which didn’t help either!!

Pretty much summed it up right there 😂

I think we suffered because Fulham were so shit/negative first half. Probably should have taken it to them more rather than trying to draw them out. Other than that it was a bit of a tired performance but ultimately, job done.

• Like 1

You know when people overuse the word “unbelievable”?

We are **** 5th. That is unbelievable having started the season with that other guy as manager and the results under him.

• Like 1

Poor performance overall but win is huge and that’s what counts as we know we have much better in us. 

We looked sound defensively throughout and Fulham rarely threatened. We were sloppy in possession which isn’t like us under Emery and our energy levels were also low but that’s perhaps understandable given we’re having to field pretty much the same team every week due to injuries to potential starters. 

Really tough games coming up so to take 7 points from the last three is a great return. We know we can play better and I’m hoping our press and energy is lifted against better teams who will expect to be on the front foot. 

Buendia’s worst game for a while for us, he gave the ball away too much and couldn't influence enough in forward areas. He wasn’t alone with the latter as, besides the defence, the rest were below par and we couldn’t find Watkins atall and only once (from memory) did we play the ball behind the defence for him. 

Win is massive and a bit of a much needed rest before Sunday. UTV!

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, turvontour said:

Love how the tv commentators dont get Villa's approach in that second half when ahead under Emery. "Villa arent creating anything, they're letting Fulham have the ball in their half, they're going to concede."

We wont concede, and we didnt concede in the last home game either, or the one before that, or the one before that, or the one before that.

Have to admit I felt pretty much the same as those commentators. But even though it was an annoying wait in the second half, it’s time to appreciate our defending.

What a feeling it is to use up one of your poorer performances while taking three points. 

A month or two back, I thought 55 points would be a great return for the season. We now have 54 with five games left. 

I’m not sure I buy into the fatigue talk. We might be low on numbers right now but we have lots of fresh legs out there. We had no European competition and hardly anyone at the World Cup, with the squad having a mid season break. Young, Digne, Moreno, McGinn, Donk, Buendia and Luiz have all spent plenty of time on the bench this season. Even Watkins had some rest but he’s super fit. Mings and Konsa barely had to break a sweat tonight. We should have plenty in the tank to finish the season strongly. 

Just now, VillaParkAvenue said:

Have to admit I felt pretty much the same as those commentators. But even though it was an annoying wait in the second half, it’s time to appreciate our defending.

It's not allowing these teams clear opportunities to score. It isnt exciting but it's very clinical in earning points.

We just played fulham who are a very good team and hammered us earlier on in the season.

They had one shot tonight and none on target.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bizzzle said:

McManaman is an irritating word removed and did my head in all game

Gobbed in his Chicken Royale when Liverpool beat Villa back in the day. Worked at Burger King on the M6 services when I was a spotty 16 year old and the Liverpool coach stopped off there. 

Moral of the story…..be nice to people who serve you fast food and don’t beat the Mighty Villa. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Â