Pre-match thread

wedge

3 hours ago, TRO said:

funny how they all seem to get their injured players back to play us.

2-2

I don’t think it makes a difference for Chelsea, after all they have 35 players or so to pick from. Actually I think it would be a problem to get that many players back, the team selection would be that much harder, and most of the returning players are not match fit, and it will upset the players that gets replaced.

I think we will win, not because we are going to be fantastic, but rather because Chelsea will underperform again, like they have done so many times this season.

• Like 2

Think this week of games will give us a good idea of how our season is going to end. I’ve been thinking for the last month or so we will finish 11th and anything above that is a bonus. 

Chelsea are not great at home atm, losing to Southampton, narrow win over Leeds and drawing with Everton I think this is going to be our best chance to get a win at Stamford Bridge. Hopefully Kamara is back, Mcginn can go wide and Buendia up top with Watkins would be my predicted side. 

I’m gonna go for 1-1 here. Villa to take the lead and then Chelsea get back into it second half after we miss a few good chances to make it 2-0. With Leicester and Forest up next (both will probably be more difficult games then this mid-table clash if I’m honest) fingers crossed we can keep our unbeaten run going. 

22 hours ago, astondalston said:

It's an all too familiar cycle... Great performances building up to the international break, followed by a balloon popping defeat on  our return. But if anyone can break the loop, its this man...

Aston Villa boss Unai Emery delivers verdict on victory over Manchester  United - Manchester Evening News

Except ... the way this works is since you had to come out and say that, it will never happen now. I hope you're happy with yourself. 😉

• Haha 1

I think if we can frustrate them early in, nick a goal, the crowd will turn a bit and we can hopefully take advantage. 

They’re a bit of a mess on the field but we’ll need to be on it from the off as the quality of player they have is superior to us. 

Hopefully a Scotland/Spain esque victory for us. 

14 hours ago, TRO said:

funny how they all seem to get their injured players back to play us.

2-2

Wouldnt worry, James is their sanson. He has to get on the pitch yet.

I really don't know how this one will go.  Chelsea will come at us which should give us opportunities on the break so Bailey and Emi B need to be there game to feed Ollie.  Then we need him to keep on scoring l like he has done recently.  The midfield will be key as there's a potential we'll get overrun.

10 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I worry about us defending down our right hand side - Mudryk may not have pulled up any trees, but he's lightning fast and he'll be running at a 38 year old, albeit a very canny one - that's going to leave a lot of responsibility for McGinn in trying to keep Chilwell back.

Funny enough I'm a lot more confident in having young back there rather than cash. Think this kind of pressure game is tailor made for him.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1

On 23/03/2023 at 21:26, sheepyvillian said:

Please Villa, don't ruin my birthday. 

The good thing about  being born on April fools day is no - one forgets your birthday. 

Happy Birthday Sheepy 🎁

• Thanks 1

I am finding the confidence on this thread pretty jarring!

Before Palace and Bournemouth at home all the talk was these were teams with incredible pace who'd tear us apart on the break. The reality was both are limited teams who hardly had a shot on goal and he won both games pretty comfortably.

Chelsea will still have likes of James, Chilwell, Enzo Fernandez, Joao Felix all starting today. If we lose a few of those individual battles we'll be losing the game.

I also see Fofana is back so him and Badashile is a good combination to nullify Ollie.

We'll do well to get a point today and that will be a very good result for us.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I am finding the confidence on this thread pretty jarring!

Before Palace and Bournemouth at home all the talk was these were teams with incredible pace who'd tear us apart on the break. The reality was both are limited teams who hardly had a shot on goal and he won both games pretty comfortably.

Chelsea will still have likes of James, Chilwell, Enzo Fernandez, Joao Felix all starting today. If we lose a few of those individual battles we'll be losing the game.

I also see Fofana is back so him and Badashile is a good combination to nullify Ollie.

We'll do well to get a point today and that will be a very good result for us.

Nothing wrong with a bit of positivity. Fofana is out:

On team news, Potter said: "Thiago Silva and Cesar Azpilicueta are still away and Raheem [Sterling] is coming back but not ready for tomorrow. He's more likely to be ready for Tuesday.

"Mason Mount trained and is available but Wesley Fofana will miss the game because his hamstring is tight.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Nothing wrong with a bit of positivity. Fofana is out:

On team news, Potter said: "Thiago Silva and Cesar Azpilicueta are still away and Raheem [Sterling] is coming back but not ready for tomorrow. He's more likely to be ready for Tuesday.

"Mason Mount trained and is available but Wesley Fofana will miss the game because his hamstring is tight.

That's not too bad then. Koulibaly has been really poor in premier league, way Ellis Simms just breezed past him for the Everton goal a few weeks back was embarrassing so Ollie should get chances if he keeps making runs today.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Chelsea 3-4 Villa

Sterling, Havertz x 2

Sterling x 2 (OG), Havertz x 1 (OG), Martinez. 

Martinez is going to really piss off Emery unless that is a full length of the pitch punt. 

• Haha 1