Pre-match thread

wedge

It's a real shame we've got to wait a fortnight for this. I'll always go into every game Villa play with feelings of anxiety and trepidation but nowadays I have a small reassurance at the back of my mind that Unai might well figure out a way to get us a result. They will be the favourites of course and aside from a couple of good results it's somewhere we mostly seem to have a torrid time!

• Like 2

Wonder if Kamara will start this one or will be on the bench if he's fit. That's an interesting call for Emery.

Only worry I have about this is Joao Felix. He's played well for them and type of forward we always struggle against given he moves around the frontline into pockets of space so could see him giving our CBs a tough match.

Mings is well overdue a good game v them so if he dosen't gift them a goal with a stupid backpass as usual I think we're set up nicely for a draw.

Biggest game of the year so far. They are our direct rival for position and getting that last Europe place. A win on their turf will be massive. We are their equal at the moment, and we are under less pressure than them. 

0-1 to Villa.

Watkins

4 hours ago, stewiek2 said:

Dare I say it but I think we can win this one. Our squad and side are far more settled and we have a far superior manager in the dugout

I was thinking this too, confidence running through the team is high right now.

Also it's good perhaps that Professor Emery has ten days or so to really analyse this fixture, which surely helps.

I agree Emery is a far superior manager.

Chelsea were poor against Everton and their fans get restless, hopefully we can use that.

Sadly it will be impossible to win his one, as by doing so it will mean getting out of 11th place and the universe will have to reset.

Edited by Nigel
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Well Emery will have the majority of the squad with him on the training pitch for two weeks whereas Potter won’t see barely any of his squad until a few days before the match, hoping that has an influence on the game.

How many of our players are away on international duty? 

I believe that if we win this, we would be in the mix for one of the European places. On the other hand if we lose, we would struggle to make the top half of the table. This is like a cup final for us.

It is clear that Chelsea have the more expensive squad, but we have the better manager. It will be close, but we can win.

An intriguing matchup at an intriguing point in both teams' seasons. We're impressive away from home and in good form. Chelsea just starting to show signs of recovery recently after no wins in 6. Both sides will fancy themselves for it. It would be amazing if we won, but I don't expect it. Wouldn't be surprised though. But I'll go with a narrow home win.

Be nice to see us stay competive for the whole 90 minutes. Keep our shape and discipline if we take the lead or go behind.

Watching us, since the  Arsenal game, has shown us starting to do this more consistently, we do have our moments of panic and concentration lapses but I think these moments are slowly reducing.

It was interesting that after the Arsenal game Emery picked out Martinez going up field for the corner as a moment to comment on,  he wasn't happy with the panicky nature of it.

The odds are always in favour of the defending team scoring when the keeper does it was his comment. 

We lost 4-2 , he wasn't happy , he wanted us to stay disciplined and controlled , it didn't matter that much that we lost. 

He seems to be seeing all of our games as one performance rather than a single games in isolation. He's ace. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Emi, Cash, Buendia, Bailey, Duran, McGinn, Ramsey with England under 21s. Think that's about it.

Jesus, that's 7 that played on Saturday and 6 that started. 

2 or 3 knocks picked up and we will be recalling Filip Marschall back from Gateshead :D