Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Crystal Palace

limpid

Match Polls  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/03/23 at 23:59

I love all styles of football myself, whether it's a slow methodic demoralising possession or the opposite with a quick exciting counter attack etc. However I think that some of the fans that were apparently complaining yesterday may have been worried about us conceding a silly goal again from playing the wrong pass out from the back which has cost us a couple recently. 

• Like 4

16 hours ago, Spoony said:

I’m just glad we survived without more injuries tbh

How's Kamara? Not seen it back yet but Looked nasty from where I was. 

Amazed this was not a straight red! 

13 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Furious with the Palace players, Filthy! Hand slapping each other when the player you fouled is taken off with a nasty injury is really low. Scum team full of cheats so delighted we beat them. 

Honestly, wouldn't miss them in the league. Hyped club because they have a London postcode, is all.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, blunther said:

Exactly. Stunned at all the moaning in the ground. Our last two home matches were great matches to watch, and we lost them both 4-2. Yes, it wasnt exciting, and we didn't press home the advantage of the extra man, but palace didn't have a shot on target. Two clean sheets in a row. 

I don't know why I expect better from our fans. Twice now in the last two games, today and against Everton we've scored directly as a result of playing it round the back and creating space. I thought it might shit the 'get it forward' idiots up for a bit, but not ten minutes later there were a bunch giving ironic cheers when we hoofed it (and subsequently lost possession) 

I get where you are coming from, but we have also lost possession leading to conceding goals, by playing out via the centre of our penalty area. It will take time for everyone (including some of our players) to feel entirely comfortable about us playing it around deep in our own half. Give it a bit more time, some of us "idiots" are quick to snap into "panic mode" when we are only one goal up and time is running out. ;)   

18 hours ago, PieFacE said:

Thought we played well in a controlled manner. Our high line scares me a bit but we seemed to play the offside trap quite well. Just lacking a bit going forward but if Ollie scores that chance then maybe my view changes a bit in that regard.

I was too nervous to enjoy that game...The highline was the main feature of that.

but loved the 3 pts.

16 hours ago, CVByrne said:

Dendoncker is a very capable and experienced player. He'll fill in fine for the next two games

But not in any way progressive or as comfortable on the ball. He'll do a job, but we will be significantly diminished.

1 hour ago, TreeVillan said:

I love all styles of football myself, whether it's a slow methodic demoralising possession or the opposite with a quick exciting counter attack etc. However I think that some of the fans that were apparently complaining yesterday may have been worried about us conceding a silly goal again from playing the wrong pass out from the back which has cost us a couple recently. 

Spot On.

We haven't exactly covered ourselves in glory (with our recent goals against tally) have we?

I hear the calls for the players have to get used the new instructions, and persevere with it, yeah, I get that.

But its like being served up a Roast dinner, from a person learning how to do it.....it might be inedible, and just because we know they are only learning, it doesn't make it taste any better.....and I am still hungry.

In the meantime, for me, the play makes me nervous....The highline makes me nervous, because I can see danger, before I can see daylight.

While, I was delighted with the outcome, I thought at times , some of our players, made bloody hard work of it.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

10th anniversary tomorrow too, so should be really good!

The annual DHUTWU I imagine.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Ponky said:

Well for my first ever experience at Villa Park I was pretty chuffed to see a win, even if I would have liked to see us put away a few more chances.

McGinn my man of the match by some length - he's a real creator when played higher up the pitch.

Very enjoyable, but incredibly cold afternoon. Was super impressed with the staff at VP - all very friendly and efficient. Unfortunately getting home on the train was a bit of a dog's breakfast.

Have enjoyed my couple of days in Brum. It's a very interesting place (from what little I've seen) with a very vibrant, diverse population. I'd love to come back again one day ... But maybe in a warmer month!

Must have been great, for you,  we locals take it all for granted.

But how do you get a train to Australia?

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Must have been great, for you,  we locals take it all for granted.

But how do you get a train to Australia?

Through the core.  It's a nightmare when the aircon isn't working.

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Lerner's Driver said:

Agree with all of this. I just think both things can be true at the same time...

We are learning a new playing style (mid-season) AND it does quite often feel terrifyingly risky because we aren't consistently good at executing it yet. 

It's probably going to be like this for the rest of the season as well, so best strap in!

If you think about it, given the dramatic shift from keep it tight nothingness, to this dynamic mix of ideas, it's pretty impressive that we are winning as much as we are.

It's incredibly difficult being patient as a football fan, but it is going to be worth it, you can just tell, mostly because the benefits are already outweighing the growing pains.

The other point is that it gives a few players time to try and adjust.  If they do then great - it might be a bonus when we start looking at our recruitment strategy in the summer.  I for one am thinking that McGinn is definitely playing himself back into the starting XI for next season - being the slightly more advanced midfielder supported by Kamara, Luiz and Guendouzi (just want to see him maintain this form over a slightly longer period).  How good does that midfield 4 sound???

Those that can't adjust can't say that they haven't had a chance to change / impress and feel hard done by when they are replaced in the summer.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, allani said:

I'd say it is more like having someone being taught how to serve up a roast dinner by a 3-starred Michelin chef.  They might get it wrong at the start but you know that by the time they finish they'll be making the most delicious roast dinners you have ever eaten in your life.  And it they don't the 3-starred Michelin chef will soon kick them out of the kitchen and replace them within someone who can do it.

Certainly better than sticking with them being taught how to make roast dinner by the previous chef who would have been out of his depth in a greasy spoon.  Or the one before who was a lovely person and a top notch home cook but didn't really have the star dust needed to get a Michelin star. 

And let's not even start on the chefs that came before him.

This settles it. Was reading through this post-match thread prior to getting lunch, but now my stomach is absolutely roaring.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Now is absolutely the time to be teaching these players how to play in this way

no danger of relegation, little chance of a European battle, out of cups

better to do it competitively than in pre season on the training field and take it into next year when I think we are going to see a special season

Granted new players will be coming in but if we establish a way of playing then the core unit can pass it on to the newcomers

• Like 4

Â