Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Crystal Palace

limpid

Match Polls  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/03/23 at 23:59

8 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I’d already exclaimed “what a goal” and was briefly confused 

Body shape was perfect, he was confident and he hit it well.

Like you I was confused to how it wasn't a goal.

20 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I don't think we do well against 10 men because the crowd seem to think you have to win 3-0 and go gung ho.

Garbage crowd. Get it forward!!

20 hours ago, osmark86 said:

I agree. I'm getting frustrated with our home support.

It was also noticeable just before the goal.

Martinez was playing it around trying to open Place up and you could hear the groans from the crowd.

We then open them up and bang, it's a goal.

While the players are also learning the UE way of playing i think the crowd need to have a little more patience. Although thats easier said then done.

I was 'lucky' enough to be sat next to someone who i can only imagine does moaning for a living. She was non stop throughout the game. I had to tell her to give her head a wobble.

The game was pretty much a non event. But we deserved the 3 points. Palace are a team going nowhere and it must be difficult watching them week in week out. But we've been there ourselves.

Onwards and upwards. 

• Like 2

Good first half. Second half seemed to drift but we were never in danger of conceding. Emery saw a potential drop in confidence at home after our recent results and addressed it by pushing the players for a win with a clean sheet. Boring match but impressive management. After watching this game, plus the U21s in the last couple of weeks, Cash may not be done here after all. I was under the impression Emery always pushed the left back up to attack and got the right back to defend, but he was getting forward regularly. Played well, too.

I would be worried if I was a Crystal Palace fan. The only player who showed any quality, Zaha, is leaving them in three months. He may not be everyone's cup of tea but I would take him here. He would be an improvement on our forward options, although he'll probably end up at Chelsea on £300k a week.

• Like 1

More top quality writing on show on the local media today:

‘Aston Villa’s workmanlike win over Crystal Palace pushed them seven points ahead of those behind them in the Premier League table.’

No need to link to this dross: is any editorial work going on here? Are the writers children? Get ChatGPT on the case asap and put these people out of business 

That game won't live long in the memory and certainly wasnt a classic, but was important for us to get the 3 points, keep a clean sheet and be the better team. We did all those things and can go into next weeks game against the Hammers looking to get a 3rd win in a row. Would be awesome to have a 3rd clean sheet in a row aswell!

22 hours ago, John said:

I get where you are coming from, but we have also lost possession leading to conceding goals, by playing out via the centre of our penalty area. It will take time for everyone (including some of our players) to feel entirely comfortable about us playing it around deep in our own half. Give it a bit more time, some of us "idiots" are quick to snap into "panic mode" when we are only one goal up and time is running out. ;)   

Oh don't get me wrong, it panics me too - but let's not vocally get on their backs, as it's hardly going to help the situation.

• Like 1

On 05/03/2023 at 13:28, imavillan said:

It was also noticeable just before the goal.

Martinez was playing it around trying to open Place up and you could hear the groans from the crowd.

We then open them up and bang, it's a goal.

While the players are also learning the UE way of playing i think the crowd need to have a little more patience. Although thats easier said then done.

I was 'lucky' enough to be sat next to someone who i can only imagine does moaning for a living. She was non stop throughout the game. I had to tell her to give her head a wobble.

The game was pretty much a non event. But we deserved the 3 points. Palace are a team going nowhere and it must be difficult watching them week in week out. But we've been there ourselves.

Onwards and upwards. 

As long as it was just her head.

Its hard to train folk not to be nervous....because they watch the game, and can see the danger.....and we have seen it backfire first hand.

We have to hope the new style produces dividends, and it settles down to us becoming less nervy.

I accept all managers have their own way of getting there.....( Winning games) and so far his record is good, with a few bumps in the road.

UE has created his own stature, so I guess the smart money is on backing him......we have to just see it unfold, that he can do it with us, what he has done else where.

I think its perfectly understandable, that the crowd is nervy, watching the highline.....and perfectly understandable, he wants to continue to perfect it.

Edited by TRO

On 05/03/2023 at 10:23, John said:

I get where you are coming from, but we have also lost possession leading to conceding goals, by playing out via the centre of our penalty area. It will take time for everyone (including some of our players) to feel entirely comfortable about us playing it around deep in our own half. Give it a bit more time, some of us "idiots" are quick to snap into "panic mode" when we are only one goal up and time is running out. ;)   

I agree with this John.

I am all for perfecting this style.....but we must remember our players have not been the best for staying on the ball....and getting caught in possession playing out from the back, usually has disastrous consequences.

However, the passing leading up to our goal, was precisely how to do it....The passing was precise and quick in execution.

It will take time, for us to perfect and I guess the nervy moments will continue.

• Like 1

I still feel pretty angry at Doucoure. The guy is a wrecking ball and basically hardly faces any consequence. 

You might think that because Doucoure technically received two yellow cards in the game, that would take his tally up to 10 for the season, and he would therefore serve a two-game ban.

However, when a player is sent off after receiving two yellow cards, it is counted as a red card only. 

Doucoure benefited from some fortune in Palace’s 25th game of the season; despite his dismissal, he will only serve a one-match ban — missing Saturday’s home fixture against Manchester City.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

That doesn't seem the greatest rule does it?!

Hopefully there is some karma for him down the line...

It was very unnecessary -- and, I'm sorry, it seemed deliberate to me. Kamara is so crucial, and since Palace couldn't beat us, they decided to hurt us in other, cowardly ways.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It was very unnecessary -- and, I'm sorry, it seemed deliberate to me. Kamara is so crucial, and since Palace couldn't beat us, they decided to hurt us in other, cowardly ways.

when they can't beat you....thay stop you any way they can.....thats what Referee's are for.

• Like 2

Â