Pre Match Thread

maqroll

Great win last weekend against a team fighting for their lives, but we were dogged, stood firm and our quality shone through in the end.Now is this the battle for 11th place right here? It would certainly be good to keep Palace at arms length going into the final 13 games.

Buendia has to come back into the starting line up, especially after his decent cameo and goal last weekend. Moreno starts for me, as does Young again. No sure where Olsen is or if he’s fit, so I’ll go with the two young keepers on the bench again. Zaha returning is obviously a concern for us but I’m hoping he’ll only be fit enough for a place on the bench. 

Martinez

Young       Konsa             Mings        Moreno

Kamara         Luiz

McGinn                       Ramsey

Buendia       

Watkins

Subs: Sinisalo, Zych, Cash, Digne, Chambers, *Dendoncker, Traore, Bailey, Duran 

It will be a frustrating watch I feel with Palace wanting to keep it tight, but hopefully we can break them down and Watkins has six goals in six consecutive games.

1-0 win here I reckon. UTV

*Edit: Looks like Dendoncker will be absent tomorrow, so we may need to call up Raikhy or another from the U21 group. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

I think this has defeat written all over it tbh. We'll play a high line and get exposed on the break imo. We're not very good at playing at home the way Emery wants us too. Gonna take time. 

Edited by PieFacE

Good chance to measure how far we have come since the 1-3 in our disastrous start to the season. This is pretty much a must win for me. Sorry to see Coutinho is injured. Bad news about Dendoncker as well. An ultra cautious defensively tight 1-0 would suit me.

• Like 1

This and Bournemouth are the two games I'm most keen to see strong performances in after the disastrous away fixtures

You know things are bad if Palace fans are chanting "eez jast too good for yew" about your complete inability to deal with Wilf Zaha ffs

• Like 1

4 hours ago, briny_ear said:

Good chance to measure how far we have come since the 1-3 in our disastrous start to the season. This is pretty much a must win for me. Sorry to see Coutinho is injured. Bad news about Dendoncker as well. An ultra cautious defensively tight 1-0 would suit me.

Every time I say this we lose 4-2 or 3-1 🤣

Therefore, I'm going to say I hope we win 6-0.

• Like 1

Emery has answered the question that everyone here has been asking…

Why put 3 goalkeepers in the matchday squad?

He said it’s because he wants 3 goalkeepers to be there in pre-match and warm up for the outfield players to have shooting practice. 

• Like 3

I would be happy with an early lead, Zaha stretchered off and us down to ten, and a backs to the wall one goal victory. 

20 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Table will look like this though if these results happen:

Villa 2-0 Palace

Chelsea 2-1 Leeds

Liverpool 1-2 Man. United

Brighton 1-1 West Ham

Brentford 2-1 Fulham

6th Liverpool- 39 points

7th Fulham- 39 points

8th- Brentford- 38 points

9th Brighton - 36 points

10th Chelsea- 34 points

11th Villa- 34 points

This weekend could be the first one of the season where we could legitimately say we're in contention for europe as 5 points to 6th with still a third of the season to play is really nothing. Newcastle should lose to Man. City aswell so they would be in reach aswell given they still have to come to VP.

Nothing is ever predictable though. If you are right with those outcomes I will be impressed.

9 hours ago, burchy said:

They’re on a shit run at the moment and we all know Villa like to be nice and give teams like this an easy 3 points. 

Would be nice to be proven wrong though.

Has that really happened much this season?

I mean when we played Leeds and Southampton both hadn't won for ages and we won v both. O.k start of season we lost to West Ham who'd lost their first three  games but we have a terrible record v them and had ourselves a really poor start to the season.

Leicester's the only game recently where that's applied and they had Maddison for that so really not that much between the teams when he's out there. Leicester could hurt us in ways I don't think Palace can so I'm more hopeful for tomorrow although of course us scoring the first would be a help as they can defend well.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PieFacE said:

I think this has defeat written all over it tbh. We'll play a high line and get exposed on the break imo. We're not very good at playing at home the way Emery wants us too. Gonna take time. 

Who's exposing the high line? They might leave Zaha on the bench for all we know and throw him on after an hour, I can't remember too many standout games from him at VP down the years so he's easier to contain then at Selhurst. Likes of Eze and Olise are excellent ball carriers but neither are that quick and their central midfield options are very slow indeed.

Emery really rates Zaha and tried to sign him for Arsenal in summer 2019 so a coach of his quality isn't going to be lax and just give him 20 yards of space to run into unless we're losing and there's a few minutes left. There will be a plan for Cash and whichever midfield is near to him to contain him.

Edited by VillaChris

On 02/03/2023 at 12:45, Demitri_C said:

The beat us with ease at selhurst so we need to ensure we get even. Ollie missed some chances if im not mistaken im hoping he will keep up his rich rein of form

Not sure about that mate, if that shot of Baileys had not hit the bar and gone in, I reckon we would’ve won

11 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

We could win or lose 38 games in a row and we'd still be 11th.

This must be a record for the same team to hold the exact same position after x amount of games? 

Excluding top or bottom 

Edited by Kingman

10 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Great win last weekend against a team fighting for their lives, but we were dogged, stood firm and our quality shone through in the end.Now is this the battle for 11th place right here? It would certainly be good to keep Palace at arms length going into the final 13 games.

Buendia has to come back into the starting line up, especially after his decent cameo and goal last weekend. Moreno starts for me, as does Young again. No sure where Olsen is or if he’s fit, so I’ll go with the two young keepers on the bench again. Zaha returning is obviously a concern for us but I’m hoping he’ll only be fit enough for a place on the bench. 

Martinez

Young       Konsa             Mings        Moreno

Kamara         Luiz

McGinn                       Ramsey

Buendia       

Watkins

Subs: Sinisalo, Zych, Cash, Digne, Chambers, *Dendoncker, Traore, Bailey, Duran 

It will be a frustrating watch I feel with Palace wanting to keep it tight, but hopefully we can break them down and Watkins has six goals in six consecutive games.

1-0 win here I reckon. UTV

*Edit: Looks like Dendoncker will be absent tomorrow, so we may need to call up Raikhy or another from the U21 group. 

Bollocks to that, We need a 4th choice keeper available incase something happens to the other 3