Pre Match Thread

maqroll

5 hours ago, Ponky said:

I'm going to this. My first time at Villa Park and only second time seeing Villa live after the Perth game in preseason. Absolutely buzzing.

You know it's now your fault if we get beat don't you?

• Like 3

Palace forum has pretty much all of them expecting them to win.

2-0 or 2-1 to them seems a common prediction. With a couple opting for them to win 3-0!

I guess that's what happens when you lose so often at home, other teams don't fear coming to play you.

We badly need a win here.

49 minutes ago, GlobalVillan said:

2-0 or 2-1 to them seems a common prediction. With a couple opting for them to win 3-0!

Even so, that's a surprise, four draws and a loss in their last five games is dreadful form, they haven't won yet in 2023 - that's nine games and they haven't scored more than once in any of those games.

They must just be a bunch with an optimistic outlook I guess. 

Sounds like Palace may have Zaha back for this match (typical!) which would probably boost their chances.

I reckon it will be a 1-1 draw but would be great if we could put some distance between us and them and take the 3 points.

Edited by Brumstopdogs

11 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

I guess that's what happens when you lose so often at home, other teams don't fear coming to play you.

Which one are you looking at? holmesdale seems to be their big one and most seem to think a draw.

19 hours ago, GlobalVillan said:

18 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

Even so, that's a surprise, four draws and a loss in their last five games is dreadful form, they haven't won yet in 2023 - that's nine games and they haven't scored more than once in any of those games.

They must just be a bunch with an optimistic outlook I guess. 

I'd say over optimistic.

The form of there last 10 away matches is not exactly inspiring. (9PL games & 1 Cup game)

W 2 - D 3 - L 5

They've only scored more than 1 goal twice in that sequence and that was in the 2 wins, 2-0 v Bournemouth and 2-1 v West Ham and they'ver failed to score in 6 of those matches!!

They've only beaten us twice at VP in the last 19 matches stretching back to 1989. You have to go back 6 matches to 2013 the last time they beat us at VP. the time before that was way back in 1991.

I know we've been very generous of late at home, but they are nothing special and from what i've seen they are not great up front. 

I think it's us Villa fans that should be the optimistic ones for this match.

click here for the stats

Edited by imavillan
typo
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Zaha loves playing against us. This is not a “must win” fixture, but it will probably go a long way to deciding what we are this year. 
A win puts us in the European race, a draw probably nails us on for 11th, a loss means a race to ensure we are 11th for the rest of the season.

Do you mean these league positions at the end of this game or for the rest of the season, cus theres 14 games left?

55 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Suprised to see some tickets available for this one esp as its a saturday 3pm

It has been coming up as sold out, then not sold out for a few days - it looks like it sold out over the weekend and what you're seeing are the occasional returns.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

It has been coming up as sold out, then not sold out for a few days - it looks like it sold out over the weekend and what you're seeing are the occasional returns.

Yeah that probably makes sense. Seems like their are hundreds of returns though is that usually how many?

Was thinking of going to this one but going barbados in 2 weeks so really need to save the money towards that

Will prob catch a game when i get back

3 hours ago, turvontour said:

Do you mean these league positions at the end of this game or for the rest of the season, cus theres 14 games left?

Rest of the season. I can’t see anyone catching us if we have 7pt gap over the teams below us. Likewise I cannot see us catching Brentford if they open a 7pt gap on us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah that probably makes sense. Seems like their are hundreds of returns though is that usually how many?

Was thinking of going to this one but going barbados in 2 weeks so really need to save the money towards that

Will prob catch a game when i get back

Palace prob only sold half their allocation, could we have taken some of the away space? Perhaps the lower or upper tier if they have only sold half? Or is that not allowed?