Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

The transfer window obviously has a lot of moving parts and given the last two deals have been loaned it may suggest our top targets have not been available for whatever reason.  I am sure we have more money in the kitty when the right player becomes available. All Premier League clubs are awash with cash, you still need to be a team and have a class coach. We have now thankfully got.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

The transfer window obviously has a lot of moving parts and given the last two deals have been loaned it may suggest our top targets have not been available for whatever reason.  I am sure we have more money in the kitty when the right player becomes available. All Premier League clubs are awash with cash, you still need to be a team and have a class coach. We have now thankfully got.

I think we secured our top targets they were Torres and Diaby, the last two signings were loans because they are cover for injured players.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Right… it’s done… it’s over…

Here’s to a wonderful season, hope everyone enjoys it!!

Back Unai, back the players… we are going to fly!!

UTV!!!

spacer.png

Come over to the Jan ‘24 transfer thread.

You know you wanna 😉

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

I think we secured our top targets they were Torres and Diaby, the last two signings were loans because they are cover for injured players.

I don’t think Zaniolo is cover - I think he’s a loan while we check his injuries are all ok but if they are he’ll be a signing for sure

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jas10 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

And Lenglet 😂

Have I… have I just seen someone pick Leon Bailey over Jacob Ramsey in a first XI, even though it means McGinn playing on the left…? Thank heavens this isn’t Unai Emery ;)

‘Second XI’ I think Dendoncker in midfield, Lenglet in defence, and I don’t think Iroegbunum is challenging for minutes just yet (but we will see).

I am 100% on board with your depth point though!

Edited by Adam2003

Great window, we’ve matured in terms of buying and selling as well. If we sold Coutinho as well I guess we’ve done a fantastic job. Still a January window were we could recheck our squad and needs. We might be able to sell Dinge (which is doing really well right now) if we can find a good/cheap/young replacement for him. 

2 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Have I… have I just seen someone pick Leon Bailey over Jacob Ramsey in a first XI, even though it means McGinn playing on the left…? Thank heavens this isn’t Unai Emery ;)

‘Second XI’ I think Dendoncker in midfield, Lenglet in defence, and I don’t think Iroegbunum is challenging for minutes just yet (but we will see).

I am 100% on board with your depth point though!

Is Tim on loan or he didn’t go?

4 hours ago, VILLAMARV said:

IN:
DIABY - Leverkusen
TORRES - Villareal
TIELEMANS - Leicester
ZANIOLO - Galatasary - LOAN (OPTION TO BUY)*
LENGLET - Barcelona - LOAN
---------------------------------------
(U21) RICHARDS - W.B.A.

OUT:
A. YOUNG - FREE - Everton
NAKAMBA - UNDISC - Luton Town
WESLEY - UNDISC - Stoke City
STEER - FREE
A.RAMSEY - £14M (BUY BACK OPTION)*, Burnley
DAVIS - UNDISC - Udinese
ARCHER - UNDISC (BUY BACK OPTION)*, Sheffield United
PHILOGENE-BIDACE - £5M (BUY BACK OPTION)*, Hull City
SANSON - SEASON LOAN (WITH OPTION TO BUY)*, Nice
----------------
SINISALO - SEASON LOAN - Exeter City
KESLER-HAYDEN - SEASON LOAN - Plymouth Argyle
BARRY - SEASON LOAN - Stockport County
AZAZ - SEASON LOAN - Plymouth Argyle
BOGARDE - SEASON LOAN - Bristol Rovers
AFOKA - SEASON LOAN - Bradford City
REVAN - SEASON LOAN - Rotherham United

* - Some news outlet or other said so

Great window imo

It have been one of the best transfer windows in a long time.

Not only did we manage to add some quality to the squad, we also managed to off load players we don’t need, to keep the net spend at a minimum.

We now have a very strong squad, maybe the best we have ever had. 

• Like 2

A smart window, sold players, bought some great ones. hopefully we can get Sanson off the books in the next. I think due to his wages Digne is only a matter of time. 

If we keep signing players like Tielemans, Torres, Diaby and Zaniolo then we will be great. 

I think we’ve spent about £100m net in the last 3 summers. Should have funds left for the next Torres and Diaby level players that we want.

Guimares and Williams may still be targets. 

Duran, Diaby, Zaniolo - 3 attackers joined this year

Tielemans - we had a very strong midfield

Moreno, Pau, Lenglet (and Carlos really) - lots of quality progressive players in defence

Some players thriving in system football like McGinn, Konsa, Cash, Luiz, Kamara, JJ, Mings. 

Martinez in goal

This is a very good squad with an elite manager. We're good to go

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Duran, Diaby, Zaniolo - 3 attackers joined this year

Tielemans - we had a very strong midfield

Moreno, Pau, Lenglet (and Carlos really) - lots of quality progressive players in defence

Some players thriving in system football like McGinn, Konsa, Cash, Luiz, Kamara, JJ, Mings. 

Martinez in goal

This is a very good squad with an elite manager. We're good to go

Said it for most of last season too...

On paper we have a better squad and a better manager than newcastle

What they have over us is obviously the huge buzz of positivity and momentum resulting in performances that are better than on paper

We need that buzz around us

• Like 1

So we made 3 choice signings and 2 injury cover signings in the end. If I’m honest I would have liked 1 more choice signing; another attacking option with Traore / Couts leaving the building but I’m happy with the squad as it stands and we will definitely go again if January if something is missing or if we can strengthen from a position of strength. Bit worried about player fatigue with all the games but at least Emery isn’t afraid to rotate and use the subs.