Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Just now, Jareth said:

ESR is skilled, no doubt - and Don Unai would improve him, but he would be extremely expensive, would boost Arsenal's FFP position, and that business from before still leaves a bad taste. Would rather we pursued someone else personally. 

We're miles off Arsenal even with our improvement to be worrying about their FFP position. 

He's probably not much more expensive than he was when we were in for him last considering he's barely played since

5 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

We're miles off Arsenal even with our improvement to be worrying about their FFP position. 

He's probably not much more expensive than he was when we were in for him last considering he's barely played since

Are we? We’ve got more points than them in 2023 I think I saw somewhere. Also if Archer is best part of 20 mill - what’s ESR?

Smith Rowe would be the ideal signing for that left forward role.

All looking a bit sparse in terms of links to anyone though. Wonder if that's because we're doing what we do really well and trying to do business quietly, whilst waiting for some of our other players to leave.

8 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

I think we'll make a deadkine dat signing. 

Last Summer we signed Donk and Bednarek on deadline day.

But who was the last summer deadline day transfer we made before those two?? 10 points to the winner

Libor Kozak?

3 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Not a fan of ESR and I think he'd come with a billy big bollocks attitude when in reality I don't think he'd get in the strongest 11 so as a Coutinho replacement I think we can get much cheaper

I've never had that vibe from him tbh. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Are we? We’ve got more points than them in 2023 I think I saw somewhere. Also if Archer is best part of 20 mill - what’s ESR?

From an FFP perspective with them Inn the Champions League, yes.

£35-50m I expect. Realistically £30-35m is his value but he'll go for more than that. We had a rejected bid of £35m 2 years ago, he's been injured and not played much since, so that's probably his value. In this market and with Chelsea involved, it'll be more

Just now, TreeVillan said:

Didn't ESR previously reject us to fight for his place? Has he given up?

I think he just never got going again because of injuries and being overtaken by other players who were storming it.  The fact that it would all be profit for FFP might make Arsenal willing to listen to reasonable offers too.  I'm on the fence about him but I trust Unai to make anyone a world class player right about now!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

From an FFP perspective with them Inn the Champions League, yes.

£35-50m I expect. Realistically £30-35m is his value but he'll go for more than that. We had a rejected bid of £35m 2 years ago, he's been injured and not played much since, so that's probably his value. In this market and with Chelsea involved, it'll be more

Isn't he all FFP profit for them? We're not going to get closer to Arsenal on a financial level by handing them £50m pure FFP profit. So therefore, in the words of Deborah Meaden. I'm out. 

28 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yep, level with Utd and only behind City.

I would love one more in, but we've shown we are in a really strong place already and with significant more depth to come back from injury over the next few weeks.

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/premier-league/jahrestabelle/wettbewerb/GB1

2023 ytd.png

Edited by rubberman
  • Like 1

I think our issue in recruiting a new striker is that Ollie is such a fixture in our side, and so important to how we play.

Much like Spurs when they had Kane, recruiting a striker means either getting someone better (difficult/ expensive) or someone happy to play second fiddle (red flag).

If you are a team who rotate their strikers a lot it must make it much easier

• Like 2

I like ESR and don't hold a grudge for him wanting to fight for his place. Its what I'd expect him to do as a good player.

I think Emery could turn him into a next level baller. 

1 minute ago, TreeVillan said:

Didn't ESR previously reject us to fight for his place? Has he given up?

He rejected us to be made the new Number 10 and was starting or atleast heavily used for a while there. Then he got injured. The short version is he got overtaken by too many other players during his injury and now, yeah, it's a long road back for a 23yo who may never get back into the XI by the time his contract ends in his prime years (at 26). Good time to move on for player and club.

Long version: By the time he came back from injury Saka, Martinelli and Ødegaard were streets ahead in his Wing and #10 positions. Plus he had niggling groin issues and other injuries, Arsenal signed Trossard and he didn't get his place back.

He's since gotten over his injury issues (but also hasn't played to test his robustness) and in addition to Saka, Martinelli, Ødegaard and Trossard.. Arsenal have also added Havertz and Fabio Viera to ESR's positions.

Plus Rice being used as an 8 reduces his chances at moving to another position in midfield

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

Are we actually linked to ESR or are we spit balling ideas? 

Not linked, he's in the news because Arsenal are said to be willing to let him leave and Chelsea have already made contact with Arsenal over it.

Brought up here considering our past interest

• Like 1