Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

We won't be signing Adams, just like we won't be signing Doku, Johnson, Felix, Pedro Gonçalves and so on, the players the media constantly link us to are never the ones we end up signing. Players we sign are usually players we get linked to initially and then sign within a week.

• Like 1

Just now, useless said:

We won't be signing Adams, just like we won't be signing Doku, Johnson, Felix, Pedro Gonçalves and so on, the players the media constantly link us to are never the ones we end up signing. Players we sign are usually players we get linked to initially and then sign within a week.

You keep saying this but I'm not sure Pau Torres fits your narrative. Might be that some transfers work one way and some work another. No one sizes fits all rule to this. 

• Like 1

Emery has mentioned identifying certain "profiles" and "characteristics" in players for signings rather than specifically positions, and in that case you can kind of understand the idea of Adams (if the interest is true obviously) as he is a type of player different from most others in the squad in terms of his athleticism and extremely high defensive output coupled with it.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Emery has mentioned identifying certain "profiles" and "characteristics" in players for signings rather than specifically positions, and in that case you can kind of understand the idea of Adams (if the interest is true obviously) as he is a type of player different from most others in the squad in terms of his athleticism and extremely high defensive output coupled with it.

But another quality he wants is passing and Adams is poorer in that area

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I think this. He is a character very much in the mold for what Unai wants. Serious, hard working, humble, and willing to learn and leave everything on the pitch.

I think of a lot of players under Smith and Gerrard that no one would really consider progressive passers. Mings, Konsa, McGinn, even Emi M was hardly a ball playing keeper.

Look at them now after learning under Unai. I do think the same can be done with Adams. Comparing him with Nakamba is a massive disservice. On Fbref - Adam's comparable to both Gueye and Kamara. 

But still the doubts about the transfer remains strictly on squad construction. Missing a RB and another dribbling attacker.

Edited by DJBOB
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Haha. Are the Villa finally big enough now, João? Or you still need a big, big club?

It could be Atletico wanting too much in terms of a loan fee at this stage. Hoping that a team will become more desperate late in window and pay them what they want. While we're just waiting for them to drop their loan fee price. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ejs1111 said:

The media links to Adams must be drivel.  As a previous poster said- I'm an American also and have seen him play many times.  He's a younger version of Nakamba.  All hustle, press, and tackle.  Can't pass progressively to save his life.  He would be a poor fit overall here given the system change we have gone thru at Villa with UE.

Maybe I'm wrong- perhaps UE can teach him how to pass better- but I have my doubts personally.  IMO we are much better off keeping Donk who is an taller and stronger player in the same position, albeit less mobile.  Money better spend elsewhere for me.  UTV

I've jokingly called him "Tyler Reo Coker" many times because he's a very similar player.  Same strengths on and off the pitch along with the same weaknesses. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Haha. Are the Villa finally big enough now, João? Or you still need a big, big club?

I'm waiting for a CL club...

I mean an EL club...

Sorry, I meant an ECL club...

• Haha 2

29 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Hoping that a team will become more desperate late in window and pay them what they want. While we're just waiting for them to drop their loan fee price. 

I think what will happen, is that a team will come in for him very late in the window, after missing out on main targets etc.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think what will happen, is that a team will come in for him very late in the window, after missing out on main targets etc.

He plays left CF-ish/left-winger-ish, right? The role would offer healthy competition with Jacob and possibly Bailey, right? Excellent on the ball, excellent passes, excellent assists, good header? But I don't know. Almost feels like we would be overloaded with forwards.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

I’m just, at present, not in full agreement that this has been a great window. I think it’s been ok, good even, but there’s just this feeling gnawing away at me that we’re not THAT much stronger. Maybe I’m being glass half full.

Good as opposed to great is a fair assessment.

Pau and Tielemans are depth signings...depth we're going to need. They don't make the starting XI significantly stronger, if stronger at all, but they make sure we can keep a strong XI on the field through injuries and fixture congestion.

Diaby, as you said, it a great signing. We need more goals; it's our goals-for, not our goals-against, that was deficient compared to the top 4, even when you project Unai's record over the whole season. Diaby looks like he will provide more goals than anyone else Unai has paired with Watkins, whether Buendia, Bailey, or McGinn.

Where else can we get more goals from? I rate Watkins and Buendia, but neither is consistent. Ideally, you'd want a striker and creative midfielder who can match their best but more consistently. But those are the most expensive players in the football. A striker like Lewandoski, Haaland, or Kane, or a midfielder like de Bruyne, Bellingham, or Odegaard , will set you back £80–110m depending on how much time is left on their contract. And they would have to want to come to Villa. We just aren't there yet.

9 minutes ago, TomC said:

Good as opposed to great is a fair assessment.

Pau and Tielemans are depth signings...depth we're going to need. They don't make the starting XI significantly stronger, if stronger at all, but they make sure we can keep a strong XI on the field through injuries and fixture congestion.

Diaby, as you said, it a great signing. We need more goals; it's our goals-for, not our goals-against, that was deficient compared to the top 4, even when you project Unai's record over the whole season. Diaby looks like he will provide more goals than anyone else Unai has paired with Watkins, whether Buendia, Bailey, or McGinn.

Where else can we get more goals from? I rate Watkins and Buendia, but neither is consistent. Ideally, you'd want a striker and creative midfielder who can match their best but more consistently. But those are the most expensive players in the football. A striker like Lewandoski, Haaland, or Kane, or a midfielder like de Bruyne, Bellingham, or Odegaard , will set you back £80–110m depending on how much time is left on their contract. And they would have to want to come to Villa. We just aren't there yet.

Only Man City got more points than us since Emery came in, and this is with a few players some deem " shit ", and without a proper pre season.

The underperforming players will now be even better, and we have added 3 World Class players, plus an exciting youngster, and there is still almost a month of the window to go.

We are definitely stronger, I don't even think that can be a debate.

Even a look at the current potential bench when the whole squad is fit should show that.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Only Man City got more points than us since Emery came in, and this is with a few players some deem " shit ".

The underperforming players will now be even better, and we have added 3 World Class players, plus an exciting youngster, and there is still almost a month of the window to go.

We are definitely stronger, I don't even think that can be a debate.

Even a look at the current potential bench when the whole squad is fit should show that.

Oh, I agree that the squad is stronger. That's why I distinguished the quality of the starting XI. Only Diaby significantly upgrades the starting XI. Pau and Tielemans mean we can afford an injury to our CBs or Kamara or Doug and not miss a beat, but if they start, they displace someone of approximately equal quality.

• Like 2

Just now, TomC said:

Oh, I agree that the squad is stronger. That's why I distinguished the quality of the starting XI. Only Diaby significantly upgrades the starting XI. Pau and Tielemans mean we can afford an injury to our CBs or Kamara or Doug and not miss a beat, but if they start, they displace someone of approximately equal quality.

If you think that Pau Torres has come to rotate or provide squad depth then I have news for you. 

Emery rates him as one of the best CB's in Europe. He will start every game for us when fit. 

• Like 2