Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Just now, Steero113 said:

If you think that Pau Torres has come to rotate or provide squad depth then I have news for you. 

Emery rates him as one of the best CB's in Europe. He will start every game for us when fit. 

I expect him to start often. Based on the last few preseason matches, I think we're going to see a lot of Cash-Konsa-Mings-Pau or Konsa-Mings-Pau-Moreno, where we start 3 of the 4 CBs and then a wing back on one side or the other depending on the opponent's weaknesses. We will probably also see Cash-CB-CB-Moreno sometimes, but which two CBs would be selected in that situation remains to be seen.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, TomC said:

I expect him to start often. Based on the last few preseason matches, I think we're going to see a lot of Cash-Konsa-Mings-Pau or Konsa-Mings-Pau-Moreno, where we start 3 of the 4 CBs and then a wing back on one side or the other depending on the opponent's weaknesses. We will probably also see Cash-CB-CB-Moreno sometimes, but which two CBs would be selected in that situation remains to be seen.

Great selection headache to have!

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TomC said:

Oh, I agree that the squad is stronger. That's why I distinguished the quality of the starting XI. Only Diaby significantly upgrades the starting XI. Pau and Tielemans mean we can afford an injury to our CBs or Kamara or Doug and not miss a beat, but if they start, they displace someone of approximately equal quality.

Note: I actually meant " Top Class " not " World Class " lol but that just came out, maybe a sign of things to come. hopefully!

2 hours ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Haha. Are the Villa finally big enough now, João? Or you still need a big, big club?

How depressed can somebody be if you are paid £13 million per year.

Obviously he is saying he want a CL or a big club, but what he really mean is that he want a club that can afford to pay him what he makes now.

If he comes to us, he will be payed less than half of what he gets now.

If we manage to get him for a reasonable transfer fee on reasonably wages, it would be an absolute miracle. He is clearly an upgrade to what we have, and I would love to see him in a Villa shirt.

If the club manage to get Felix, they should move on to Mbappe, since they can make the impossible happened.

Bit different to the usual stuff and it's a slow news night so just to move the conversation along...

A Barca ITK (so as usual, take everything with a pinch of salt until a reputable source says anything) says we've offered for Ferran Torres:

• 4m loan fee for season
  • we pay all his wages during loan
  • 30m mandatory fee at end of loan
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Wes said:

Bit different to the usual stuff and it's a slow news night so just to move the conversation along...

A Barca ITK (so as usual, take everything with a pinch of salt until a reputable source says anything) says we've offered for Ferran Torres:

• 4m loan fee for season

Nah

2 minutes ago, Wes said:

• 4m loan fee for season

A quick Google says he is on 120,000 Euros per week, which is about half of what I thought. ( Circa 10,000,000 Euros per season )

So if we sign him permanently, it's a 44 Euro mill deal in total?

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

A quick Google says he is on 120,000 Euros per week, which is about half of what I thought. ( Circa 10,000,000 Euros per season )

Most sites I've seen have been figures of about €196k/ or £165k/w give or take.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Sure the figures weren’t net? Probably is half.

• Like 1

If the club are happy to pay that much, go for it. He will definitely add a great deal to our surprisingly impressive squad.

Top level goalkeeper. Hard to argue that there is anyone better. Back up has had questions asked of him, but is still a veteran international.

4 fantastic centre backs. Can't think of any club other than Man City with as much quality in depth.

2 top quality left backs, each offering something slightly different.

A strong right back. This is a position that we discuss a lot in terms of a second player to compete.

4 amazing deep lying midfielders. The weakest of which is a regular in one of the top international teams.

7 very talented attacking midfielders, with varying levels of consistency and form right now.

A high quality striker, who's hard work makes up for the little bit of extra talent that the best strikers in the league have. Frequent debates about whether we get another experienced striker as competition or rely on our talented youngsters.

All this without even going into talented youth players. Only 2 senior players that we have to unload still and any other outgoings will probably mean more top quality replacing them. I can't remember our squad ever looking so healthy top to bottom.

Back on topic, Torres can work in both a striker/attacking midfielder role. I'm certainly not complaining if our attacking options in midfield are Diaby, Torres, McGinn, Ramsey, Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey and Traore, possibly also A. Ramsey and Philogene-Bidace. Yes that's 8-10 players competing for 3 starting positions and 3 bench spots and yes, some of those might depart in the next month, but I'm certainly not complaining about this squad, or the possibility of adding more top players like Ferran Torres to it!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Depression isn’t about money it’s about feeling hopeless.

Yes but if you have millions of squids in yer pocket, you not only have hope, you can do absolutely anything you want. 

1 hour ago, paul514 said:

Probably just John Gregory posting 😃

The late 90s were a different time in fairness, now there's much greater awareness and understanding as seen by the general opinions on the Dele interview.

Back to Felix, pretty sure he's been tipped off that Barca want him so if they unload someone like Ferran Torres they'll probably have enough room to sign him on late loan deal.

He clearly is not interested one bit in joining us so would rather get in someone else who would be very excited to join the Emery project.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Barca trying to terminate Dest's contract... 👀

That club is an absolute basketcase

Dest was quite good at Ajax wasn't he? American so would have no issue settling and still young enough for us to have him as a backup and see if he can find form again.

3 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Yes but if you have millions of squids in yer pocket, you not only have hope, you can do absolutely anything you want. 

Would having millions of squids in yer pocket bring back partners who've left, or loved ones who've passed away? Both valid reasons for depression that money cannot solve.

Money often helps and would alleviate many problems for people who arent wealthy, but money does not solve every problem.

Anyway, OT. Back on it... I doubt we'd go for Dest, he'll be on Barca wages...

• Like 2