Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

? What is this?

It means every time you get a jump in salary, whether through a promotion, job move, inheritance, lottery win etc. Your lifestyle creeps upwards with the money.

If you earn £25k you could be perfectly happy in your current life, perhaps want a better holiday once a year...so you go and earn £35k and suddenly the better holiday isn't enough, you'd like a new car and a 2nd holiday.

At £60k maybe you want a bigger house than the one you've been happy with since £25k. Your problems aren't just solved by earning money you dreamed of a few years prior as your lifestyle creeps up with the money

Same deal for footballers. They're just doing it with houses, women, cars, exclusive holidays, yachts and jets etc.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, TomC said:

I'm not a Grealish hater, but...if he had stayed, we might not have Unai right now, and I know which one I'd rather have.

Yes can't imagine why anyone would still be pining over Jack, he got what he wanted and we should be very happy with how things worked out here.

He's just somebody that we used to know....

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Random Retegui speculation 

Very interesting link - this is what VT and Twitter should be for. Looks to come from someone who is a journalist connected to his current club. 

Seems to be a different type of striker to Ollie which lends itself to the profile of someone who can play with or instead of him. A very Monchi type signing too. 

IF it happened would presumably mean Archer or Duran going out on loan. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Very interesting link - this is what VT and Twitter should be for. Looks to come from someone who is a journalist connected to his current club. 

Seems to be a different type of striker to Ollie which lends itself to the profile of someone who can play with or instead of him. A very Monchi type signing too. 

IF it happened would presumably mean Archer or Duran going out on loan. 

I do think we are looking at a different kind of striker option. Of the two, I see Duran going out on loan but I’d like to think we see more Archer - especially when he’s popping up more on our social feeds. 

1 hour ago, Loxstock92 said:

Oooo ooo ooo I know what this means!

we’re signing Tyler Adam’s 👀

I heard a Dirty Leeds 'journalist' on the radio who said they wanted £35-40 million for him....

Truthfully I did really Laugh Out Loud.

Ridiculous!

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Enough is enough, anything more is greed.

11 minutes ago, romavillan said:

You take what you need and you leave the rest.

Is greed always bad?  

You win the lottery of £20m but you only take £2m because that’s all you need, of course not.  

If you or I are living comfortably and bills are paid but you are headhunted at work with a huge pay rise and assuming all other factors are equal ie good work environment and all that, do you reject the job you have been headhunted for because you don’t need the extra money? I wouldn’t be rejecting.

Greed if it’s harmful is bad but not all greed is bad and in this scenario getting more money is not bad purely looking at the money side of it.

4 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Only reason id be willing to now pay whatever for Diaby is the fact that our next option is Doku and thats far from a signing id be satisfied with 

Is doku that bad? From what ive reaf he is a very good player but very injury prone

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Random Retegui speculation 

Yes please, was reading an article in The Athletic last week about Retegui & I kinda hoped we were looking at him! 

Only really had 1  good seasons so far in Argentina but still only 24 & sounds a beast

Mateo Retegui: The gluttonous goalscorer who Mancini likens to Batistuta

Behind a paywall - https://theathletic.com/4673436/2023/07/10/mateo-retegui-mancini-italy-transfer/

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I will say greed is harmful if it is assisting the sportswashing of repugnant regimes. It is harmful if it promotes gambling addictions. It is harmful if it corrodes the integrity of sporting competitions etc.  Yes the Premier league greed has harmed the competitive standards of other less rich leagues, and has harmed the stability of lower league football, when the odd clubs throws it all on black trying to get into the premier league. It's harmful in general when wealth is promoted as the be all of human attainment, as if it's the only factor worth considering. It's harmful when it turns football ( or sporting ) addicts into apologists for regimes, who due to aforementioned tribal loyalty will rationalise anything that supports their tribe enjoying success and demonise any criticism it faces, ostracising those who go "hang on a minute" as woke commies etc

I agree at a very high level

but

Is there a difference between getting a big pay rise transfer to Newcastle or Man City compared to one of the Saudi clubs let’s say from a club on equal footing? Given they are run by these same regimes.

Is moving from a PL club to us (Villa) helping the harmful now we are promoting gambling through our sponsor?

The problem is where is the line of what is acceptable.  Those of us who have cars that use more petrol because they are fancier, with petrol from these regimes…is it greed when we could had a low fuel or even electric car?

32 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Is greed always bad?  

You win the lottery of £20m but you only take £2m because that’s all you need, of course not.  

If you or I are living comfortably and bills are paid but you are headhunted at work with a huge pay rise and assuming all other factors are equal ie good work environment and all that, do you reject the job you have been headhunted for because you don’t need the extra money? I wouldn’t be rejecting.

Greed if it’s harmful is bad but not all greed is bad and in this scenario getting more money is not bad purely looking at the money side of it.

Some odd examples here :D 

Bold bit would be more like you win the lottery for £15m but realise that you can claim an extra £5m if you do a photoshoot holding the ticket whilst in your underwear.  You've comfortably got enough for life, there's no need to stretch, but that greedy little voice is saying "go on, do it!".

On the headhunting, I don't think most people would take the gamble for a pay rise (it depends what "huge" is and what variables are in play).  If I'm happy at work, love my colleagues and am happy with my pay, would I really risk that whole environment purely for a bit more money?  For me, it's a no.

• Like 1