Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

I totally understand the need for top quality reinforcements to the squad, however, I'm a little concerned about the effect on some of our promising youngsters. Surely Archer deserves the chance to prove himself at the level we aspire to, as do Iroegbunam and others. JJ has set the perfect example of how hard work and self- belief with the necessary talent can provide the platform to achieve your dreams of becoming a first team player. It's vitally important we keep that pathway clear so as not to disillusion any of our many talented youngsters. 

Nothing pleases fans more than seeing a player come through the ranks and establish himself as "one of our own". I really believe that both Tim and Cameron can firmly become a part of the manager's plans for this season, maybe Archer has a better chance on account of our lack of depth in the forward department,, but whatever the outcome is for both players this season, I really do hope their long - term future is with us. Imagine the inspiration that provides for all those young kids attempting to achieve that same goal.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I totally understand the need for top quality reinforcements to the squad, however, I'm a little concerned about the effect on some of our promising youngsters. Surely Archer deserves the chance to prove himself at the level we aspire to, as do Iroegbunam and others. JJ has set the perfect example of how hard work and self- belief with the necessary talent can provide the platform to achieve your dreams of becoming a first team player. It's vitally important we keep that pathway clear so as not to disillusion any of our many talented youngsters. 

Nothing pleases fans more than seeing a player come through the ranks and establish himself as "one of our own". I really believe that both Tim and Cameron can firmly become a part of the manager's plans for this season, maybe Archer has a better chance on account of our lack of depth in the forward department,, but whatever the outcome is for both players this season, I really do hope their long - term future is with us. Imagine the inspiration that provides for all those young kids attempting to achieve that same goal.

They'll get their chances in the team and Unai will see them train everyday. if they're good enough they will make it.

Their should always be a pathway for young players into the first team but from then on it's up to them to grab the chance, they basically need to be so good we can't ignore them.

"Gregg Evans is transferring from Aston Villa to Golf, in a sign that the club cannot compete. This will come as a blow to supporters who had hoped to keep hold of their main reporter but reflects the reality of where Villa are at."

• Haha 2

52 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

If you rate Diaby and think he's a good option for us, then you shouldn't object to us paying 50m.

That is easily the going rate for a decent winger these days. There's no reason not to pay it,  although every reason to try and get it lowered.

If we're stuck at our FFP limits then I'd say we make a sacrifice elsewhere on the pitch as no other signing we make now will have a bigger impact on our form. The right back, back up gk, "other forward" are all nice to haves. They won't elevate us to another level. 

But where do we make the sacrifice?. We need a back up right back and reserve goalkeeper at a minimum. If Digne goes we need an option at left back too.

4 minutes ago, Mazrim said:

"Gregg Evans is transferring from Aston Villa to Golf, in a sign that the club cannot compete. This will come as a blow to supporters who had hoped to keep hold of their main reporter but reflects the reality of where Villa are at."

Yet more made up bs by wannabee ITK's. I know for a fact that in the next week it'll be announced that fans will be offered a new package for an extra £73 per game when they will be able to sit within ear shot of Gregg at every game and listen to his views on our current status with regards to FFP. 

1 hour ago, RicRic said:

Leverkusen want €65m for Diaby approx £53m they can f**k right off 😂 i want us to stop where we are right now with the £42.5m offer … he didn't have a great season so what justifies paying more than this. Might sound crazy but if its gonna be more than that we may aswell be better off getting brennan johnson for 40 mill. 

Chelsea have had £70m turned down for Caicedo, I’d say Diaby will have more impact on our team than Caicedo would in Chelsea. Emery clearly likes this bloke and thinks he is what we need. Prices are ridiculous, but it’s a sellers market.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Those players play in different positions to Diaby though.

23 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

But where do we make the sacrifice?. We need a back up right back and reserve goalkeeper at a minimum. If Digne goes we need an option at left back too.

That's my point.  Anywhere.

We have reawrved 50m to spend on those backup positions? Make it 40m and chuck the extra 10 at Diaby if that's what is needed.

If we sell Digne we'll get a fair amount of money for him and free up loads of FFP wiggle room anyway with his £500m salary off the books 🤪

23 hours ago, S-Platt said:

I would take Marhez for a couple of seasons bags of experience pretty decent when given the chance.  I guess he is off to Saudi though 🤔 

allegedly has a fetish for camels.😀

1 hour ago, VillaJay said:

They'll get their chances in the team and Unai will see them train everyday. if they're good enough they will make it.

Their should always be a pathway for young players into the first team but from then on it's up to them to grab the chance, they basically need to be so good we can't ignore them.

I agree.....but then we need to see them, at the coal face, and not at the training centre.

Many of our successful transitions from Youth teams to first team, didn't always hit the ground running, it took time and they developed along the way....JJ as an example was given this time, and he has developed in to a Premier League Player ( that would not be done on loan, or playing with youth players, they have to be thrown in to the ring)...Loans are done for learning the mans game, amongst other things,  not for indecision on the player.

We will never be sure, if Cam can make it, by continuing to send him out on loan....We need to judge him, where is matters, with the talented first teamers around him.....He has been handed enough worms, he has to fly.

I am certainly not questioning the managers judgement on this, that would be folly.....but Cams conversion rate alone, needs testing at the highest level....its impressive.

His hit rate alone, deserves a run out, with the better players.....I sincerely hope he gets his chance, like others in the past have.

Edited by TRO

41 minutes ago, mykeyb said:

Do we need a back up right back if desperate? Cash and Worst case Konsa, even KKH at a push.  If you don’t agree we could even get a loan in for any other positions we may need given they are back ups if we had to use extra funds for the Diaby deal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Do we need a back up right back if desperate? Cash and Worst case Konsa, even KKH at a push.  If you don’t agree we could even get a loan in for any other positions we may need given they are back ups if we had to use extra funds for the Diaby deal.

KKH has gone out on loan, but I agree with sentiment, if absolutely desperate Konsa and Chambers could go there, Bogarde played there Saturday.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, nick76 said:

Just listened to the German league journalist on Talksport and he was raving about Diaby and said he would fit perfectly for us and said he’s not a typical winger that keeps his head down but keeps his head up and sees what is around him.

Worth noting its everything they’ve seen in the Bundesliga … what we have got with Bailey so far and from the hype that had surrounded Sancho anyone coming from there scares me to bits, so (A) i dont want to be overpaying and (B) i want us to ensure we buy another for insurance in case it is going badly and we need a quick fix.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Worth noting its everything they’ve seen in the Bundesliga … what we have got with Bailey so far and from the hype that had surrounded Sancho anyone coming from there scares me to bits, so (A) i dont want to be overpaying and (B) i want us to ensure we buy another for insurance in case it is going badly and we need a quick fix.

Haaland. Although he does have elite all around him. 

I agree though with what you're saying. He's not a physically big lad, looks slight and both Bailey and Sancho have struggled to adjust. There are a few from the Bundesliga that have came over with much promise and huge price tags that have struggled to transition to a faster more physical PL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Made In Aston said:

I'll miss Gregg. I know he gets dog's abuse from some because his ITK information isn't great. But he is always professional in his work, never risen to the bait from villa fans and is well prepared when he does the podcast. Seems like a decent enough bloke as well. UTG! 

Thanks for your service Greg, we'll miss you.

• Thanks 1