Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

1 minute ago, pete101 said:

These are two very different situations

I agree, I'm not suggesting it's exactly the same.

2 minutes ago, pete101 said:

Players aim to climb to the very top you could join Everton and be very much earn your move to a city , Barca , Madrid ,Munich team

Of course. You could also join Villa and get that move too. 

So that leaves us with more likely to be a first choice starter on one side, versus more money (?), play in Europe, better manager, more likely to win things, less likely to be looking for a new club after another relegation next season on the other side of the ledger. 

Of course the first choice thing might be the main thing he cares about. Or I might be wrong that we would offer more money. Or he might have always hankered after the possibility of playing in a Sean Dyche side. Who knows really. But my guess is, if all else were equal, he would choose us as there's more reason to do so. 

However, I do not think all else is equal, because I don't think we've made a bid, and Everton have. (It's possible we aren't even interested, and Leeds are just claiming we are to keep upward pressure on the fee). 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gaz90 said:

Smart move from Sporting - spending their Pedro Goncalves money in advance...

They sold Ugarte for 55m already, so not close to spending that money yet.

They also sold Porro to Spurs for 35/40m recently too.

They prob dont need to sell Goncalves this summer, unless a silly offer comes in.

Edited by MaVilla

1 hour ago, pete101 said:

He is a guaranteed starter in that Everton side, he isn't here

Yes, but would he be happy about playing his old team in the Championship next season?

I can see that he might not be at the top of our list, but if we don't sign someone from the top of that list (which I remain confident that we will🤞), we may regret not having signed him or Barnes later. 

Just now, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

He would have been a good signing for a Sean Dyche Burnley, a big lump of a lad, mobile and a handful. Will do well in Portugal but would not have set the world alight in the PL.

Just did some digging and seems they bought him from Brighton for 1m not long ago. 

So Brighton do make transfer mistakes. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HanoiVillan said:

I agree, I'm not suggesting it's exactly the same.

Of course. You could also join Villa and get that move too. 

So that leaves us with more likely to be a first choice starter on one side, versus more money (?), play in Europe, better manager, more likely to win things, less likely to be looking for a new club after another relegation next season on the other side of the ledger. 

Of course the first choice thing might be the main thing he cares about. Or I might be wrong that we would offer more money. Or he might have always hankered after the possibility of playing in a Sean Dyche side. Who knows really. But my guess is, if all else were equal, he would choose us as there's more reason to do so. 

However, I do not think all else is equal, because I don't think we've made a bid, and Everton have. (It's possible we aren't even interested, and Leeds are just claiming we are to keep upward pressure on the fee). 

The complex piling up of carefully qualified guesses and measured probability in your post well captures the world of smoke and broken mirrors that is the current transfer window. Are you in hedge fund trading? 😉

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Aren't Everton in the Championsh...

Never mind...

🧐

What's mental is that i've had the same lapse a few times recently lmao.

Thinking they were relegated then remembering they were saved on final day.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

The complex piling up of carefully qualified guesses and measured probability in your post well captures the world of smoke and broken mirrors that is the current transfer window. Are you in hedge fund trading? 😉

That's very kind of you, but looking at my finances you'd be better off giving your money to Long-Term Capital Management. 

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Just did some digging and seems they bought him from Brighton for 1m not long ago. 

So Brighton do make transfer mistakes. 

they probably have an 80% sell on clause or something ridiculous 😝

• Like 1

3 hours ago, useless said:

I'm not sure I believe the stories linking us to Gnonto or Barnes, we don't really need an expensive winger that predominantly plays on the left cutting onto their right, the links to Williams, Johnson, and Diaby as wingers make much more sense to me.

Although I guess in theory Gnonto could come more as a young squad player with potential which would make a degree of sense, especially if we were to sell a few of our existing wingers, have also been linked to Summerville and Illng Jr, so maybe that's something we're looking at.

I think we need a right footed winger and we're more focused on the qualities of those who got the profile rather than the position they currently played. I think with the right coaching wingers can operate on both sides. It depends on what you need them to do and how good they are with their "bad" foot.

Of we got Ferran Torres or Lo Celso and Barnes or Gnonto I'd be very happy with the window. Added to Pau and Tielemans. 

A replacement for Dendoncker be icing on cake. 

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think we need a right footed winger and we're more focused on the qualities of those who got the profile rather than the position they currently played. I think with the right coaching wingers can operate on both sides. It depends on what you need them to do and how good they are with their "bad" foot.

Of we got Ferran Torres or Lo Celso and Barnes or Gnonto I'd be very happy with the window. Added to Pau and Tielemans. 

A replacement for Dendoncker be icing on cake. 

I hope for more than you.

we need to spend 100m + net every year just to try and catch then keep pace with the big six.