Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, Daulmakan said:

Yep, and that goal alone and nothing else is what has kept him from being hailed as a terrible flop like Werner was (0,21 vs. 0,18 goals per game). While certainly nice to have the winning goal in the UCL finals, I expect more from my 70 million investment. .

He never really played in his best position at Chelsea as they always made him a striker as Werner and Lukaku did nothing

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Daulmakan said:

Yep, and that goal alone and nothing else is what has kept him from being hailed as a terrible flop like Werner was (0,21 vs. 0,18 goals per game). While certainly nice to have the winning goal in the UCL finals, I expect more from my 70 million investment. .

He's not a terrible flop, more same as werner and Lukaku where they've bought players with no plan on how to play them

Good player in there played put of position most weeks, expecting arsenal to get a lot more put of him - not necessarily goals, he's not a striker, he's even a false 9

11 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He's not a terrible flop, more same as werner and Lukaku where they've bought players with no plan on how to play them

Good player in there played put of position most weeks, expecting arsenal to get a lot more put of him - not necessarily goals, he's not a striker, he's even a false 9

I actually think they put him there to try and breath more life into him, he generated nothing playing in midfield.

16 minutes ago, andyjsg said:

Well they just got 55 million for him so I would say his cost/success ratio was better than most.

True. They should send Arsenal a nice gift for rescuing them. I wonder if he'll even start? Moving Odegaard to defensive midfielder seems like such a waste.

13 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He never really played in his best position at Chelsea as they always made him a striker as Werner and Lukaku did nothing

Chelsea's Lukaku (widely acknowledged as a flop), actually had 0,3 goals per game, much better, and Inter Lukaku is worlds better.

I think we will see things heat up this week… players we have already signed arriving and joining up with the squad, one or two deals being lined up or finalised hopefully.

Holidays are (mostly) over, it’s time to get down to business.

The king is ready, looking refreshed and energised:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

I think we will see things heat up this week… players we have already signed arriving and joining up with the squad, one or two deals being lined up or finalised hopefully.

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7n6hzzy908krmady7g5

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

No wonder! He knows who we are going to be signing. 

Just feel, if we were willing to spend 30mish on Pau (in what wasn’t a “priority” area of the team).. we would be likely to spend a fair bit more in attack…

I’m sure it’s an area that won’t be neglected or we won’t go for any “half measures” (which is probably why we haven’t signed or gone for many of the names that have been thrown around). 

Quality not quantity, but we will pay the money if we need to. Value is an extra bonus, if we can find/get it…

The budget is not tight (although it’s something we will always have to manage sensibly), there is money to spend on the right players that Unai wants.

We don’t need to sell to buy, the club has already come out and declared that it would be a “bold summer” in terms of transfer activity and we are under less restrictions and limitations.

I’m also confident that part of the allure of joining us (apart from more control and freedom) was for Unai to have a good amount to spend on quality players of his own choosing and that fit into his system and style…

Other than the attraction of the job for Unai, why would the club appoint a top class manager and not give him the backing he would want or require? There is nothing to suggest that NSWE will not do it, just look at their track record…

We do have players to offload but I’m sure that’s not a hindrance or stumbling block… that will get done too…

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I don't know him too well, but would Ainsley Maitland-Niles be a good pick up?

He is a free agent, his stats are quite solid, and can play on the wing and fullback, positions we should look at having cover for.

As said, I don't know a great deal about him, but if anyone who has watched him play, would he be a good addition?

11 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Just feel, if we were willing to spend 30mish on Pau (in what wasn’t a “priority” area of the team).. we would be likely to spend a fair bit more in attack…

I’m sure it’s an area that won’t be neglected or we won’t go for any “half measures” (which is probably why we haven’t signed or gone for many of the names that have been thrown around). 

Quality not quantity, but we will pay the money if we need to. Value is an extra bonus, if we can find/get it…

The budget is not tight (although it’s something we will always have to manage sensibly), there is money to spend on the right players that Unai wants.

We don’t need to sell to buy, the club has already come out and declared that it would be a “bold summer” in terms of transfer activity and we are under less restrictions and limitations.

I’m also confident that part of the allure of joining us (apart from more control and freedom) was for Unai to have a good amount to spend on quality players of his own choosing and that fit into his system and style…

Other than the attraction of the job for Unai, why would the club appoint a top class manager and not give him the backing he would want or require? There is nothing to suggest that NSWE will not do it, just look at their track record…

We do have players to offload but I’m sure that’s not a hindrance or stumbling block… that will get done too…

tbh mate, i think it was a priority, i totally expected us to sign at least 1 central defender.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AJ said:

I don't know him too well, but would Ainsley Maitland-Niles be a good pick up?

He is a free agent, his stats are quite solid, and can play on the wing and fullback, positions we should look at having cover for.

As said, I don't know a great deal about him, but if anyone who has watched him play, would he be a good addition?

Not referring directly to him but…

it’s another topic to debate really…

Do we just go for a few high level targets and properly enhance the team?

Do we try and pick up bargains and value signings to increase the size of the squad and amount of viable options (players that can go into the team and contribute, whether or not from the bench).

(I don’t think Tielemans quite fits that category as he is a high level player (when on form) and will be genuinely competing for a spot in that first 11.)

Or will our business involve a mix of both?

Would tend to think that Unai is generally happy with the “base” of the squad and wants to inject that extra bit of quality to elevate and enhance us…

Going off our January business, we offloaded players that weren’t needed (nor deemed of sufficient quality) and only added one proper first team player in Moreno.

So… personally, I would rule out players such as Maitland Niles. Even if it’s a free transfer, there is still the matter of signing fee and wages to consider and whether it’s worth it. 

I think we want and will go for proper quality…

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

tbh mate, i think it was a priority, i totally expected us to sign at least 1 central defender.

Maybe it was. And maybe he was Unai’s main target. I’m glad he got his man and it shows the level of backing there is really…

All we can do is speculate and try to theorise (going off some facts or history where possible).

I guess I just mean, if we can afford to spend that much in that area… I feel it kind of signifies that we have a fair bit to spend on other areas. Attack is a priority and I’ve even heard Unai say that he wants a specific kind of winger…

We shall see…😆

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Let’s play a game. 
You can sign 3 more players this window. Any 3 we’ve been linked with (regardless of how spurious that link is).

I’ll go first. 

Pino
Torres
Diaby

if we are considering Pau Torres completed, 

Pino

Felix

Lo Celso

we haven't really been linked with any RBs, which would then be the weak position in our squad

It’s going to be very exciting if we continue on our current “transfer path”… 

If we sign players on a similar level of Tielemans (very underrated signing who Unai will bring the best out of, can be a top class PL midfielder again) and Pau Torres (especially)… we will have done really really well…

It suggest a selective and thought out strategy, we want genuine quality, not just any half decent player. They’ve got to fit into what Unai wants…

We’re going to be a very formidable and dangerous side and we have one of the best managers to take us forwards and achieve more and more success…