Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

9 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Young won three quarters of his duals that night while Gnonto only managed a third of his. You'd imagine a large portion of those were against one another so it's fair to say Young got the better of things.

Agreed, there's a difference between that and being schooled though. Not that he was, but would that even have been a bad thing? Young was probably the most experienced wingback he faced and defies all logic regarding his pace and stamina for his age.

To struggle against Ashley Young is hardly a stick to beat him with.

Edited by MrBlack

6 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ming's had Haaland in his pocket in one of our games.

Does this mean Haaland is shit? Or that Ming's performed brilliantly?

People always slant things how they want.

I'd say Ash just had a brilliant, experienced performance that day, Ash has had those types of games against other, more accomplished players as well.

He's also had stinkers against lesser opponents. So it's not as one dimensional as some want to frame.it.

This basically what most of us have said . It was dismissed by one poster and others have weighed in that we believed ash done well that day, nobody has called him rubbish.  Some have said they have doubts about him which is ok. it's a discussion where people give an opinion, no need to get upset about it.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Agreed, there's a difference between that and being schooled though. Not that he was, but would that even have been a bad thing? Young was probably the most experienced wingback he faced and defies all logic regarding his pace and stamina for his age.

To struggle against Ashley Young is hardly a stick to beat him with.

Young was absolutely destroyed after that game. He definitely didn’t ‘school’ him. They scored the one time Gnonto got past him right?

• Like 2

Watched a lot of leeds this year (don't judge me, they had a lot of Americans). Gnonto was their brightest player every time I watched them play.

Believe he would be an excellent signing. Could be used as a spark off the bench or as a starter in the Bailey role.

• Thanks 3
  • Shocked 1

19 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Young won three quarters of his duals that night while Gnonto only managed a third of his. You'd imagine a large portion of those were against one another so it's fair to say Young got the better of things.

Gnonto ran him ragged that game. It's probably the reason why most of us are aware of him. Young made similar impressed comments.

Ah, Amahl Pellegrino (33) of Bodo Glimt.

Norwegian, born to Tanzanian parents.

Can we get Samatta to put in a good word? 🤣

Na leave it, can’t be arsed with bloody Tanzanian fans again 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Jas10
  • Haha 1

FFS, 17 goals and 8 assists in 29 appearances. I know it’s a shit league and he’s old.. but still 🤣

32 goals and 13 assists in 43 appearances the previous season 🤣👏

Edited by Jas10

6 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Would love to sign Leroy Sane to step in for Bailey’s position that would be a major coupe and make us a real force but tell me when to wake up 😥

Not sure we could match the £280k/w he's on at Bayern :D 

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

It's been thoroughly covered above by various people but just to add my thoughts on the side of Gnonto's...

Young was the hardest opponent he faced... and yet he still got an assist. That tells you how he reacts to adversity. 

He's got speed, skill,  and determination. He's 19. He's already been capped by Italy. 

For 21m he is an absolute no brainer signing. Especially comparing him with the signing of Duran we made last season.

If he is the only left-sided attacker we sign this summer then I would be disappointed - almost regardless of the price.  I just don't see him being good enough yet to be part of a front 3 scoring the number of goals we need.  However, if he is coming as a third attacking signing of the summer with half an eye on the future then I would agree - he has a lot of good characteristics, determination being a pretty clear one.  He'll make an impact in some matches for sure but needs time to develop into the player we need to be starting in that position this season.

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Ming's had Haaland in his pocket in one of our games.

Does this mean Haaland is shit? Or that Ming's performed brilliantly?

People always slant things how they want.

I'd say Ash just had a brilliant, experienced performance that day, Ash has had those types of games against other, more accomplished players as well.

He's also had stinkers against lesser opponents. So it's not as one dimensional as some want to frame.it.

The difference is that Haaland was breaking records for the rest of the season and his game against us wasn't his "performance of the season".

I said in my original post (as I think this is what triggered this debate) that I thought Young schooled Gnonto that night.  Maybe that was a bit strong but Young definitely won the duel on points.  I did like / admire how Gnonto persisted and kept going and took advantage of one slip to get an assist.  I also have huge respect for Roberto Mancini and you don't get picked up for the Italian squad (allbeit one with injury issues in that position) unless you offer something.

I would be pretty happy if Gnonto arrived as an impact player mainly from the bench.  He seems like he's the kind of player who will really dig in, work hard and listen to good coaches to improve his game.   With half an eye on the future he'd be a very good signing.  But if we go from alleged links to Torres / Chiesa to signing Gnonto as our first choice left-sided attacker that would leave me hugely disappointed.    

15 minutes ago, allani said:

If he is the only left-sided attacker we sign this summer then I would be disappointed - almost regardless of the price.  I just don't see him being good enough yet to be part of a front 3 scoring the number of goals we need.  However, if he is coming as a third attacking signing of the summer with half an eye on the future then I would agree - he has a lot of good characteristics, determination being a pretty clear one.  He'll make an impact in some matches for sure but needs time to develop into the player we need to be starting in that position this season.

I think getting him, would give us more pace, we should add a second attacker or a right winger as well, but we need different options, he offers things we currently lack. We wouldn’t have gone on a big transfer anyway for a left winger.

2 hours ago, MrBlack said:

It's been thoroughly covered above by various people but just to add my thoughts on the side of Gnonto's...

Young was the hardest opponent he faced... and yet he still got an assist. That tells you how he reacts to adversity. 

He's got speed, skill,  and determination. He's 19. He's already been capped by Italy. 

For 21m he is an absolute no brainer signing. Especially comparing him with the signing of Duran we made last season.

He did say that Ashley young was basically the hardest player for him to go up against because of his experience and tricks.