Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

Interesting reports that Duran is to be kept around/involved for this season. Maybe means Archer will get another loan? Even with Europe and hopefully a cup run, I can't see both + Watkins having enough playing time. 

14 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Interesting reports that Duran is to be kept around/involved for this season. Maybe means Archer will get another loan? Even with Europe and hopefully a cup run, I can't see both + Watkins having enough playing time. 

We need certain number of homegrown players for 25 man squad in Europe so Archer probably in the squad. That's why hybrid CF/AM signing more important than big money CF signing as I don't think we play 2 CF most games

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rubberman said:

There is still much time, many games before deadline day. I imagine if Duran is going on loan would be towards the end of that. For Archer, it will depend which activity we do.

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

If [insert star player(s) of any PL team] gets injured, suspended, or needs a rest. 

Barely any team operates the kind of gold standard backup for what if hypotheticals. You can't buy expensive CF to rotate with Ollie not happening. Ollie was better after Ings left. Most obvious signing we need needs to be multi position player upgrade on Bailey 

I think you are arguing a very similar point.  I would expect the Bailey replacement to be somebody who is best in a kind of wide right 10 role.  Almost like Ollie was a wide left 9 player.  That would mean that they can provide width, cutting in from the right, or they can play in a more traditional narrow 10, or they can drift into the 9 role allowing Ollie to drop deep / wide at times.  If that player can also play through the middle - then they fill all the gaps.  We have our Bailey upgrade, we have our backup CF if Ollie is injured / suspended / off form, we have another goal threat so that teams can just try and nullify Ollie AND it gives us the added benefit of bringing on Archer or Duran more often because we aren't taking off our primary / major / "only" goal threat (in terms of Ollie being so far ahead of our second top scorer last season).

I don't think anyone is proposing that we buy in a gold standard back-up striker (however many times you think that is being suggested).  But a player similar to Ollie who is comfortable in both a slightly wider CF role and as a CF would be ideal - especially if we sign Torres as well.  Three genuine goal threats.  Three slightly different type players to give the opposition defenders different things to worry about.  Three players comfortable playing pretty much anywhere across the front line.  It also means that if we want to be a bit more circumspect against some teams then we can play with an extra midfielder and any two of those three players would be pretty happy playing in a slightly more narrow 4-4-2. 

Edited: just reading back my "however many times" bit and think it reads more aggressive than it was written / meant.  I've kept it in because I do think you interpret some suggestions as meaning that people are proposing to play two "9"s when actually I think most of the time we're suggesting exactly the same idea as you - just maybe sometimes with a slight variation on whether the CF / AM hybrid is more CF or more AM.  Anyway, hopefully this clarifies the intent behind the comment. 🙂 

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

We need certain number of homegrown players for 25 man squad in Europe so Archer probably in the squad. That's why hybrid CF/AM signing more important than big money CF signing as I don't think we play 2 CF most games

I am slightly torn as to whether Archer needs another full season somewhere.  However, if he stays and we buy the CF/AM hybrid then I think it makes it easier for us to give Archer game time - because when he comes on there will be other goal threats in the team rather than him coming on and being expected to replace Ollie and be our main threat.  For me that CF/AM is THE most important signing of the summer.  Get that right and even pessimistic old me will be hoping for big things!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, allani said:

I am slightly torn as to whether Archer needs another full season somewhere.  However, if he stays and we buy the CF/AM hybrid then I think it makes it easier for us to give Archer game time - because when he comes on there will be other goal threats in the team rather than him coming on and being expected to replace Ollie and be our main threat.  For me that CF/AM is THE most important signing of the summer.  Get that right and even pessimistic old me will be hoping for big things!

Durans been given more opportunities than archer has under lord unai and hasnt really done much yet.  Rather archer sticks adound and loan duran out if given the choice 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I missed this, I guess it’s already posted in this thread in the last few days but just in case it hasnt

Not sure how he'd fit into the side tbh. Whose place would he take? 

Also, footmercato.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Durans been given more opportunities than archer has under lord unai and hasnt really done much yet.  Rather archer sticks adound and loan duran out if given the choice 

Yeah I don't disagree.  But at the same time last season showed that we couldn't really give Duran proper time on the pitch because it would mean sacrificing Ollie and that was too risky in many games.  With two more threatening attacking players (one being a proper CF/AM or AM/CF hybrid) then I think it means we'd be better able to give Archer / Duran 20 minutes in a match rather than 10.  It's pretty difficult to make any impression when you know that you're only likely to touch the ball a handful of times.  So whether we keep Duran or Archer (or both) - I hope that having more attacking threat means that we can give them more time on the pitch.

12 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I missed this, I guess it’s already posted in this thread in the last few days but just in case it hasnt

This account seems to post links others don’t and link to articles I’m not sure even exist? Maybe they do, but it’s just odd that we never see these links on villareport and that daft faithful account.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Not sure how he'd fit into the side tbh. Whose place would he take? 

Also, footmercato.

Don’t know enough about him to comment.

As for fit in our side, the same argument was about Pau Torres when the rumours started about him with people commenting we already had Mings, Konsa, Carlos not to mention Chambers and Hause but we still brought him so I’m not dismissing anything based on things like that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

This account seems to post links others don’t and link to articles I’m not sure even exist? Maybe they do, but it’s just odd that we never see these links on villareport and that daft faithful account.

No idea, don’t trust any of them to be honest. Just going with the flow on reports.

• Like 1

Just now, nick76 said:

Don’t know enough about him to comment.

As for fit in our side, the same argument was about Pau Torres when the rumours started about him with people commenting we already had Mings, Konsa, Carlos not to mention Chambers and Hause but we still brought him so I’m not dismissing anything based on things like that.

True and that's fair enough. Looking at him, I don't see where he'd play for us seeing as Kamara and Luiz is set, McGinn's turned his career around and just signed a new deal, AND we've signed Tielemans. Maybe he's fancied to play in that Buendia role? 

But yeah, still, footmercato, so not a reliable source at all. 

• Like 1

Wouldn't make any sense to sign another holding midfielder right now.

We have Tielemans, Doug and Kamara as the main options.

Plus McGinn who can do it and young Tim. Currently Donk, currently Nakamba, currently Sanson, currently Chambers.

Other areas will be of more concern.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Plus McGinn who can do it and young Tim. Currently Donk, currently Nakamba, currently Sanson, currently Chambers.

If Donk goes we need another CM to compete with Kamara / Luiz. So makes sense of player out and replacement in. Same with links to Che Adams

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

If Donk goes we need another CM to compete with Kamara / Luiz. So makes sense of player out and replacement in. Same with links to Che Adams

I don't think it's sensible to buy a player that could push Doug or Kamara to the bench. That player would cost £30m.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I don't think it's sensible to buy a player that could push Doug or Kamara to the bench. That player would cost £30m.

Same argument of buying Pau Torres when Mings and Konsa played so well plus Carlos but we all agree Torres is a great buy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Agree with this 100%.

46 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Just going on reports such as the below, I can't see both Archer and Duran getting much time on the pitch. Hopefully we go deep in a couple of cups and they do. Will be interesting to see how it shapes up.

I generally feel like, we shouldn’t be sharing the aggregater’s tweets, we should be sharing the source tweet/article 

If there’s no source, it’s not worth talking about. 

however, there is an article this time 

https://www.footmercato.net/a5361182385904509615-atalanta-des-clubs-anglais-et-italiens-se-battent-pour-teun-koopmeiners

Edited by CarryOnVilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

24 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Tielemans isn't a holding mid. He was pigeon holed there last season and team got relegated