Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Translates to:

"Pau Torres has two official offer on the table. One is Villa, the other is not Juventus. The decision will be made during the vacation months"

I presume that just means off-season.

I'm going to guess (because our transfer business so far is going this way) that the "Not Juventus" team is PSG - and he'll go there, along with Asensio and Ugarte.

(Managing my own expectations so I don't get disappointed)

3 minutes ago, CarryOnVilla said:

I wonder what would be more beneficial to Villa, using the money to buy a few “upgrades” or using the money to bulk the team’s depth 

I'd prioritise our best 11 - and by default any established starter today becomes squad, therefore boosting that too.

But we need to get the right deals in overall. January it seems Unai decided to keep money back for the summer, bringing Traore back. That looks very smart now. Less so it Ollie had broken his leg the day after we'd sold Ings.

4 minutes ago, MessiWillSignForVilla said:

Translates to:

"Pau Torres has two official offer on the table. One is Villa, the other is not Juventus. The decision will be made during the vacation months"

I presume that just means off-season.

The other is probably PSG. 

• Haha 1

I would normally have my own strong views on who I would like us to sign but we seem to be heading in a direction that we haven't been before - strongly upwards - and that is down to UE so whatever he wants to do is fine with me!

We would have pretty good back up for Luiz and Kamara with the Belgian second choice midfield of Dendonker and Tielemans (if Tielemans came in), with the latter certainly a massive upgrade on Marv!! I think, alongside Mings and Emi, Luiz and Kamara have been our best players so it is going to be hard to bring in upgrades in the double pivot area. Equally, anybody who is an upgrade/on a par is probably heading to a UCL side (e.g. Ugarte to PSG).

Given that we have been the second/third best team in the PL since UE arrived, the key for me is to maintain that form. Obviously, we need a more consistent partner for Ollie - and that would be where I would be focusing a significant chunk of my budget - and I will allow UE to work out where else he wants to spend to ensure we have the necessary depth to play in Europe whilst still progressing in the PL. And if it takes a few quality free transfers to pad out our squad and allow UE to focus on getting real quality in a few key areas then I am cool with that.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He's 6ft 3.

Depending on where you get your info, that's 3 inches taller than Konsa and Carlos. I think he looks pretty decent in the air? Could be wrong. 

Would be a good move for us. Not sure if we can keep all 4 centre halves happy though, even with the amount of games we have. Might we look to move one on?

I was looking at old stats from 2021/2022 I think I thought I was looking at this season. I think he’s improved tbh, who knows. I think overall he would be good for us taking another look at his stats

47 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

I know Emery has worked with Pau, but I’m a bit scared he might get dominated in the air in the prem. I’m sure he’s not the best at winning duels in the air, but who knows he may just adapt fine.

La Liga plays more hoofball than the prem does. 

20 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Upgrading the best 11 automatically improves anquad players who d adds depth to the squad.

I get what you mean, but i'd rather incrementally increase quality each window, than to just fill the squad out.

First approach might be a bit slower, but more assured and sustainable imo.

Also less chance of being stuck with chancers on high wages.

The first team  " upgrades " would push a couple of our current starters down the pecking order for overall depth.

Those pushed down are still more than good enough for squad.

Equally, signing strong squad players, eg KWP at RB, can push your first team to higher levels.

We need a bigger squad/more bodies if we are to compete on four fronts and progress in the PL but we can't, and shouldn't replace, too many first team players in one window given (1) our budget/the cost of significant upgrades; and (2) the fact that we have been the second or third best team in the PL since UE has been here.

A player like Goncalves - to rotate with JJ and SJM - and one of Chukweuze/Williams/Barnes to partner Ollie would be where I would prioritise. That's £100m plus gone. Then you've got to work hard with the remaining £50-100m or so (assuming our budget is £150m'ish plus anything raised) to ensure we have the necessary bodies/depth in quality.

• Like 1

CB and forwards are the depth that worries me the most. Any significant injuries to our starter severely hampers us in all competitions and I really don't trust Diego's ACL until probably 2024.

If we signed Torres and Tielemans, that leaves us with a lot of quality and depth through the spine of the team:

DC: Mings, Carlos, Konsa and Torres

MC: Kamara, Luiz, McGinn, Ramsey, Dendoncker and Tielemans

Still not sure about the Torres signing as it means realistically Tyrone dropping out of the first XI, and I’m not sure I’m ready for that yet. But the passing range of Torres and Diego Carlos would be incredible, with Kamara just in front. 

I do wonder whether we’ll also see Mings at left back in games we’re looking to be more defensive in, and play a narrow back four, similar to how FC Andorra do. I know that Unai’s a fan of how they play! 

6 hours ago, lexicon said:

To address some of the points I've seen RE: Tielemans:

1) The Leicester fans are divided on him, not all against him like some are claiming here. Harvey Barnes is getting just as much stick, for example, but nobody is getting as much stick as the club in general.

2) Are you forgetting who our manager is? Emery has shown us directly that he is adept at turning players' careers around and getting the best out of them.

3) Leicester are an absolute shitshow at the moment and have just been relegated. The club, from top to bottom, is in disarray and that will have a big effect on players. He wouldn't be in that situation here.

4) He's a **** class player and has showed as much throughout his career. He's had a bad season, sure, but that doesn't erase everything else and you can easily point to the conditions at Leicester as being the main problem.

5) He's on a free ffs. 

I would add that lots of stick was thrown at Veretout, Traore, Gueye etc when we were relegated and look what they ahceived away from relegation and in a new team. For two seasons Luiz and McGinn have been pretty pale immatations of what they are now under Emery. I would bet Tielemans could rediscover his spark under a new manager and new project, and further, he would be a free transfer.

• Like 3