Summer Transfer Window 2023

maqroll

2 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

I’m not going to be disappointed if we bring in only 2/3 players of real quality. Maybe one young punt like Duran too. Ideal summer for me. This way the squad improves and it’s not another bloody overhaul.

That'll be a disaster tbh. 2 new players can't make the impact required. A Guendouzi and a Winger to play up top with Watkins. 

56 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Exactly. Reading this thread, I think the only player no-one has mentioned getting rid of is Kamara. We won't (and shouldn't) do a Forest/Chelsea this summer. A few significant additions (and then a couple of current first team move to back up) and 1 or 2 young prospects, I'd be fine with, .

I dont think Emery is stupid to oversee a nutty summer. We will sign probably 4-6 players at most depending on outgoings

Full back, 2 wide players(probably one experienced and one potential) midfielder and then if pushed a backup keeper and probably a centre back depending Carlos fitness

I dont think a back up keeper is a high priority for the club as fans

• Like 1

RM, LM, RB, Support Striker as a minimum (4 players).
If Martinez leaves, you can add a GK to that list.

If we're feeling ballsy, throw in another centre mid and a central defender. 

Anything less than 4 new starters will probably mean another <8th place finish. 

• Haha 2

Really interesting look at our transfer policy the last few seasons

At least worth their value of what we paid relevant to their playing time/increased value - 

• Watkins 34M - debatable but probably still worth this amount for a CF
  • Mings - 22M
  • Emi M - 17M
  • Luiz - 16M
  • Konsa - 13M
  • AEG 9M (left for 2.5M) - helped promotion
  • Targett 15M (left for 17M)
  • Cash 15M
  • Trezegeut 10M (left for 4M) - back post Trezegeut kept us up
  • Kamara - free
  • Chuk - youth sold for 18M

Lose value/will not be worth what we paid for them - 

• Buendia 35M - jury is still out but I don't think he would get this amount in this market
  • Bailey 32M - see above
  • Digne 30M
  • Ings 29M (left for 15M)
  • Wesley 25M
  • Coutinho 20M
  • Bertie - 18M
  • Sanson - 15M
  • Nakamba 12M
  • Samatta - 10M (left for 6M)
  • Freddie - 6M

TBD:

• Diego - 31M
  • Duran - 16M
  • Moreno - 13M

We did alright during our season up. Missed on a few transfers that didn't develop the way it should (Wesley, Sanson, Freddie, Nakamba, Samatta) but hit some pretty solid ones otherwise (Watkins, Mings, Emi, Luiz, Konsa, Targett, Cash, even AEG and Trez).

Colossally fell apart the Grealish transfer and then the subsequent Gerrard transfers. I would've preferred continuing taking shots at growth players at the 10-15M range. I'm hoping Unai and company have a better scouting report when they're taking swings again at the 20-35M range players.

I believe Emery’s face and interview post Saturdays game was quite telling.

I think there Will be a number of outs and ins in the summer.  I think we are lacking two key things, game intelligence and winning mentality.  Those attributes are ingrained, he will be looking for coachable players that can do what they are asked, not egos whose arrogance and self indulgence cost us results.

Looking forward to the summer 

• Like 2

Lots will go in the summer. Some expected , some not so . 

From seeing them in action and also from seeing how often they are played then i can see some of the following leaving 

Cash Chambers Sanson Dendocker Bailey Hause Digne Nakamba Aaron Ramsey Philogene Davis Traore Coutinho 

and maybe players like JJ and Buendia Konsa or Mings Archer and McGinn . 

inwards we need a minimum of 

New CB , new RB , 2 new midfielders and 2 forwards as well as 1 or 2 GK  

15 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Lots will go in the summer. Some expected , some not so . 

From seeing them in action and also from seeing how often they are played then i can see some of the following leaving 

Cash Chambers Sanson Dendocker Bailey Hause Digne Nakamba Aaron Ramsey Philogene Davis Traore Coutinho 

and maybe players like JJ and Buendia Konsa or Mings Archer and McGinn . 

inwards we need a minimum of 

New CB , new RB , 2 new midfielders and 2 forwards as well as 1 or 2 GK  

We will need a Bank Loan...or Elon Musk on the board.

Unless we have buyers, we will have to fully amortise them and let them go on free's.

getting buyers is the tricky bit.

• Like 2

I think with Mings signing a contract extension we’ll wait on a left CB. 

I also think Watkins has done enough (in Emery’s eyes) to keep being 1st choice but think we’ll bring in someone like M. Dembele to challenge him, provide something a bit different.

I think we’ll bring competition in for Bailey and I’d like this to be J Bakayoko at PSV but it will be N Willliams I think.

I think the avice are definites as well as a RB/CB which I’m hoping is Simakan but will probably be Foyth.

The midfield is the area where I think we’ll see the most movement, surprising considering we’re quite stacked there at present. 

I think the only current 1st teamer safe is Kamara so can see us bringing in upgrades for both LM (options being Kamada, Simons, etc) and RM (Otavio, Guendouzi, Ward-Prowse anyone?) with an optional CM to push Luiz (Merino, Kokcu)

Other extras would be a younger LWB and the aforementioned left CB.

So 4 definites and 3 possibles

I think there might be some surprising outs too (Martinez, cashing in on his high stock, Cash and J. Ramsey as I’m not sure they’re suited to an Emery system)

3 hours ago, TRO said:

We will need a Bank Loan...or Elon Musk on the board.

Unless we have buyers, we will have to fully amortise them and let them go on free's.

getting buyers is the tricky bit.

What on earth?

Musk..?

What does fully amortise mean please?

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

RM, LM, RB, Support Striker as a minimum (4 players).
If Martinez leaves, you can add a GK to that list.

If we're feeling ballsy, throw in another centre mid and a central defender. 

Anything less than 4 new starters will probably mean another <8th place finish. 

Ridiculous. The current squad would finish 7th if Emery had a full season.

• Like 1

I don't think we need a massive overhaul. I think the current squad would make it into Europe with a preseason and then full season under Emery. We definitely have some areas of the pitch that need upgrading, and we may have to replace Martinez, but a big overhaul of most of the side brings with it a lot of unknowns.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

What on earth?

Musk..?

What does fully amortise mean please?

You sign a player for 20m on a 4 year deal..... assuming the purchase is funded by the owners injecting money into the club for FFP

For the purposes for the books, amortisation is 5m loss per year for 4 years.....

Say the player has been with you for 2 years his value has dropped on the books to 10m.

If you sell him at that time for 20m again you make a 10m profit on the books.

If you didn't sell him after 2 years but instead gave him a new contract for 4 years then the remaining 10m would amortise at 2.5m per year.

Edited by paul514

7 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I don't think we need a massive overhaul. I think the current squad would make it into Europe with a preseason and then full season under Emery. We definitely have some areas of the pitch that need upgrading, and we may have to replace Martinez, but a big overhaul of most of the side brings with it a lot of unknowns.

Of course. We’ve always had a squad that would make it into Europe but there’s always something stopping it isn’t there. A pre season, a different manager, an injury or two.

At some point, you’re going to realise we’re not very good. I think the manager knows that now, which is why you’ll see a very busy Summer. This squad isn’t top half quality, let alone European quality. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I dont think it would. Alot of the players

Cant play emerys way consistently 

Mentally weak

I agree Emery is good but he isn't a miracle worker! We need to improve the defence so a CB and RB, a couple of midfielders, and a winger or two. All better quality than we currently have, no pressure. I wouldn't be bothered if McGinn, Mings, Bailey, Buendia, and possibly Coutinho are moved on although these would be good squad players. I suppose this will all be down to the finances, but the priority must be to improve the defence it is the bedrock of all good teams.

• Like 1