Moussa Dembélé

Delphinho123

Just now, est1874 said:

Am frustrated with the general oscillation of opinion that happens on here, spinning like a weather vane depending on whatever way the wind is blowing, people defending the Ings transfer out of a love for Unai and happiness over our current run of form as if those things are all related/inextricably bound. 

As for Ings, I've never said we should hold on to him or that it wasn't right to sell him, it's the business logic of doing it in a hurry without appropriate mitigation that represents a complete fail IMO. I don't buy that West Ham pushed for it ASAP, they ended up giving him 18 mins of football at the weekend and have 3 other strikers who can play first team - we have 1.

I've said my piece, we'll see how it all plays out.

But you're just guessing. You don't know what our plans are. Sure we looked light for the one game against Southampton, I get that, but none of us actually know what's going on behind the scenes. Presumably Emery is experienced enough that he knows we need to have enough humans to put in the football team.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, PieFacE said:

I'd argue the opposite. Selling Ings when we did wasn't short term thinking, it's long term thinking. We had an opportunity that we may not get again and took it for the better of the bigger picture financially. It would be short term thinking to hold onto Ings until we had a replacement lined up which could have ultimately killed the Ings deal. 

Don't be a weather vane. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Rolta said:

But you're just guessing. You don't know what our plans are. Sure we looked light for the one game against Southampton, I get that, but none of us actually know what's going on behind the scenes. Presumably Emery is experienced enough that he knows we need to have enough humans to put in the football team.

I'm not guessing though. I'm saying we should absolutely have had a deal for a striker done and dusted, ITSOTP before selling Ings. Even if (unlikely given the time elapsed since) we had a deal 90% done when we agreed to selling Danny, nothing stops the other party pulling the plug, getting a better offer, upping the price, or contract terms can't be agreed, player's attitude comes into question (the Sarr deal, anyone?) or fails a medical.

There are a dozen or so reasons why it's stupid to sell without buying when you are already light in said position. It's not rocket science what I'm saying.

55 minutes ago, est1874 said:

The short-termers are out in force I see, all thanks to a narrow 1-0 win against relegation hopefuls Southampton. 🙄

Ollie Watkins is still registering a 1 in 5 ratio, and we have less than 8 days left to sign a second striker.

Next time we lose without scoring and Ings fires one home for West Ham, you'll all be singing a different song.

Well probably not as we'll probably be watching our new striker who we are almost certainly working on taking to the field. 

The short termism is your implied criticism of the club for not immediately signing soneone the very second Danny Ings was out of the door. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'd argue the opposite. Selling Ings when we did wasn't short term thinking, it's long term thinking. We had an opportunity that we may not get again and took it for the better of the bigger picture financially. It would be short term thinking to hold onto Ings until we had a replacement lined up which could have ultimately killed the Ings deal. 

It was a risk, the club took it, we won the game. Everything worked out fine.

As for Dembele, we have 2 weeks to get him in now before the next game. Relax. 

Is the correct interpretation of the situation 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, est1874 said:

Go on, invalidate what I'm saying without engaging with it at all, standard on here. I don't care how you think I sound tbh, I've shared my honest thoughts.

Tbh, I think you need to either lower your expectations of what you think you'll see on here or other forms of social media or just care less about it. 

2 hours ago, est1874 said:

I'm not guessing though. I'm saying we should absolutely have had a deal for a striker done and dusted, ITSOTP before selling Ings. Even if (unlikely given the time elapsed since) we had a deal 90% done when we agreed to selling Danny, nothing stops the other party pulling the plug, getting a better offer, upping the price, or contract terms can't be agreed, player's attitude comes into question (the Sarr deal, anyone?) or fails a medical.

There are a dozen or so reasons why it's stupid to sell without buying when you are already light in said position. It's not rocket science what I'm saying.

It’s informed risk management, you have no clue what is going on in the club, targets, timelines etc, but are panicking and making assumptions on what your believe, not what the club knows.

Could it bite us in the arse, absolutely, But a chance to make money on Ings and free up a chunk of wages to support a replacement who is more aligned to Emery’s requirements is a calculated risk (and I would argue a no-brainer).

FWIW, I am not doing 180’s, I am firmly in the “back Emery 100%” camp.  He knows what he is doing

• Like 2

On 23/01/2023 at 11:04, est1874 said:

I'm not hoping things go badly. I just can't for the life of me understand the short term mentality on here, it's every **** week.

If we lose, people are crying, screaming, kicking toys out of the pram, nothing's changed since Gerrard blah blah blah. If we win, Unai is a genius, everything is rosy and it doesn't matter what moves we make in the window, nothing could possibly go wrong and club decisions cannot and should not be questioned.

It's absurd how little perspective or balance there is, and tbh as much as I love the club, I can't stand half of our supporters. Change like the **** weather.

Anybody would think it’s a forum of 100s if not 1000s of people each with their own distinct opinion.

Id wager those who are actually flap flapping from one extreme to another on an individual level is a tiny minority.

20 minutes ago, TheStagMan said:

Why would we piss about for the sake of £1.5m? That makes no sense at all!

1.5mil, an 80k contract rather than 60k, times that by 4-5 potential deals, and all of a sudden you do an Everton. 

It all adds up, if the club don't think paying an extra fee is needed now, I am happy they won't. 

• Like 2

On 21/01/2023 at 10:55, Xela said:

Exactly. Chelsea have spunked £100m or on players this week who have only played in the Ukranian and Dutch leagues. 

Talent is talent. 

but how many talented players, fail to apply it....There is more to it, than just talent alone.

We have to remember, there is a player on the other side trying to stop you.......Its having the ability, to negate that, that allows the talent to be released.

3 hours ago, Mic09 said:

1.5mil, an 80k contract rather than 60k, times that by 4-5 potential deals, and all of a sudden you do an Everton. 

It all adds up, if the club don't think paying an extra fee is needed now, I am happy they won't. 

not really, because we would likely have to pay him a signing bonus in the summer anyway. 

Edited by TheStagMan

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

not really, because we would likely have to pay him a signing bonus in the summer anyway. 

This.

When he's out of contract in the summer he'll have the pick of offers from any club. He'll be able to demand a large signing on fee, large bonuses, and a large wage.

Worth trying to pay a small fee now, and getting it tied up before anyone else comes sniffing around.

Although I trust Unai and the team know this.

Â