Lee Kang-in

Delphinho123

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

The mythical exposure and shirt sales that amount to nowhere near a players fee or wages for a football club.

Don’t underestimate exposure! You reckon anybody had heard of Villa in Tanzania before we signed Samatta? We then had a whole nation of new fans for a few months.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Don’t underestimate exposure! You reckon anybody had heard of Villa in Tanzania before we signed Samatta? We then had a whole nation of new fans for a few months.

Yep I believe we paid for Ings the following summer in exposure dollars.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Yep I believe we paid for Ings the following summer in exposure dollars.

On a serious note if you can sign a star of a country where the Premier League is big and keep him for several years. You can potentially create a whole new generation of fans from that country. Of course the player needs to be a real star for their country and Kang In probably isn’t that player.

For example Spurs are massive in South Korea.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

26 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

On a serious note if you can sign a star of a country where the Premier League is big and keep him for several years. You can potentially create a whole new generation of fans from that country. Of course the player needs to be a real star for their country and Kang In probably isn’t that player.

For example Spurs are massive in South Korea.

From memory when Buendia celebrates his goal at Spurs earlier this month you can see a bunch of Korean fans sitting front row.

• Like 1

A thing that's true is that when I lived in Korea (2008/09) Park was pretty much at his peak, and a lot of Koreans supported Man Utd because of him. Amusingly, post-match highlights were often mostly 'what Park did', which would sometimes mean the 'highlights' consisted of any goals, then Park being subbed on, then Park clapping the fans at the end of the game. 

Anyway, I doubt this is a repeatable trick. Park was a star, and I'm sure Son is perhaps even bigger, but this lad isn't going to be unless he turns out to be brilliant, and I suspect Koreans have just got more used to having players playing in top European leagues these days so I imagine it's much less of a novelty (and hence much less monetisable). 

TL/DR - signing this lad might be good or bad from a footballing sense, but I doubt it would make any appreciable difference to anything in a financial sense. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

A thing that's true is that when I lived in Korea (2008/09) Park was pretty much at his peak, and a lot of Koreans supported Man Utd because of him. Amusingly, post-match highlights were often mostly 'what Park did', which would sometimes mean the 'highlights' consisted of any goals, then Park being subbed on, then Park clapping the fans at the end of the game. 

Anyway, I doubt this is a repeatable trick. Park was a star, and I'm sure Son is perhaps even bigger, but this lad isn't going to be unless he turns out to be brilliant, and I suspect Koreans have just got more used to having players playing in top European leagues these days so I imagine it's much less of a novelty (and hence much less monetisable). 

TL/DR - signing this lad might be good or bad from a footballing sense, but I doubt it would make any appreciable difference to anything in a financial sense. 

There's also the fact that Park was an established member of arguably the biggest team on the planet at the time. Park being a success at Everton wouldn't have been the same draw.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
51 minutes ago, SecretVillaScout said:

His agent visited Villa at Bodymoor Heath today (and wolves and man city)

Not sure what the point of Man. City would be. Wolves are signing Cunha full time in the summer and Kaladzjic will be back from injury so even if they unload likes of Diego Costa and Raul Jimenez I'm not sure he'll be playing much there either.

Would certainly have best chance of game time here.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Not sure what the point of Man. City would be. Wolves are signing Cunha full time in the summer and Kaladzjic will be back from injury so even if they unload likes of Diego Costa and Raul Jimenez I'm not sure he'll be playing much there either.

You’re talking about Wolves strikers but Kang-In is an attacking midfielder isn’t he, am I missing something? 

10 hours ago, VillaChris said:

No point at all for them, other than taking a punt that he develops into someone they can sell on, at a profit. His agent might be more influenced by cash, rather than playing time considerations, though.:rolleyes:

Edited by John

Â