Álex Moreno

Delphinho123

44 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Oh for sure. People for some reason are having a go at Digne when his attacking output is still very very good.

The people getting a bee in their bonnet about Digne being shit is well funny.

44 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He's like top 20% of all Left Backs in top 5 leagues for assists, expected assists, shot creating actions.

You sure? So top 4?

Did the competing left backs cost £25-30m and sign retirement contracts worth about £25m?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Oh for sure. People for some reason are having a go at Digne when his attacking output is still very very good. He's like top 20% of all Left Backs in top 5 leagues for assists, expected assists, shot creating actions. Our left hand side is a little defensively weak because we've our attacking FB in Digne with an attacking 10 in Buendia playing in front of him. Ideally Digne needs McGinn there or JJ who are experienced in covering the full back space. 

Similar to the Cash / Young experiment on the right side. I can fully see Digne and Moreno in same team and I think we could often see it with a substitution where one comes on to play LM etc..

We all like how Cash and Young are competing on the right. We now get that on left as it seemed clear to me with Digne starting all the games Emery didn't rate Augustinsson at the level of Digne

This stat is for the past 365 days. When people are having a go at Digne, they have in mind since the start of this season. And since the start of this season, he has

0 assists.

0.09 expected assists(or 1 expected assist every 11 games).

1.53 Shot creating actions, which would put almost in the bottom 30 percent of all full backs in the pl this seasons.

I have no real issue with his attacking output last season. I actually thought he did well for us last season. But its not really relevant to the current criticism of him. These stats also put into perspective just how much his attacking output has dropped this season.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Personally I think you’ll see Ramsey in front of Moreno with Digne dropping to the bench. Then McGinn in front of Young on the other side with the intention of buying a player to replace McGinn. Maybe Bailey might even start on the right. 

Yeah I can't see 4 CMs in the midfield 4. I think we'll see a traditional winger in one of the wide midfield roles and a CM in the other in front of the attacking full back. 

So Moreno, Mings, Konsa Cash, JJ Luiz Kamara Bailey. Something like that

I think JJ and McGinn are competing for one wide mid role.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

The people getting a bee in their bonnet about Digne being shit is well funny.

You sure? So top 4?

Did the competing left backs cost £25-30m and sign retirement contracts worth about £25m?

According to FBref he is 

Lucas Digne Stats, Goals, Records, Assists, Cups and more | FBref.com

I think what's clear to all of us and born out in stats too. Digne isn't a pacey full back, he also never dribbles with the ball at all. He doesn't make a lot of tackles. He's a very good passer of the ball and he creates a lot of chances.

Moreno is a different type of player. He's very fast, dribbles all the time, tries to get in to score goals himself but he's not a good passer of the ball, not progressive passing and doesn't make shot creating actions. He's more a winger playing in FB

Álex Moreno Scouting Report for Last 365 Days Men's Big 5 Leagues, UCL, UEL | FBref.com

I see different players with different qualities for different situations and opponents.

Augustinsson is similar to Digne but not as good. I think he was brought in so we could have a similar replacement for Digne if he got injured as Gerrard wanted the same style of play. 

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

According to FBref he is 

Lucas Digne Stats, Goals, Records, Assists, Cups and more | FBref.com

I think what's clear to all of us and born out in stats too. Digne isn't a pacey full back, he also never dribbles with the ball at all. He doesn't make a lot of tackles. He's a very good passer of the ball and he creates a lot of chances.

Moreno is a different type of player. He's very fast, dribbles all the time, tries to get in to score goals himself but he's not a good passer of the ball, not progressive passing and doesn't make shot creating actions. He's more a winger playing in FB

I see different players with different qualities for different situations and opponents.

What ! You mean Emery will have options, other than replace like for like but with a slightly worse player ???  That can’t be it, surely.

• Like 1

Just now, Villaphil said:

What ! You mean Emery will have options, other than replace like for like but with a slightly worse player ???  That can’t be it, surely.

I know it's hard to believe. We've a coach who knows what he's doing. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

This stat is for the past 365 days. When people are having a go at Digne, they have in mind since the start of this season. And since the start of this season, he has

0 assists.

0.09 expected assists(or 1 expected assist every 11 games).

1.53 Shot creating actions, which would put almost in the bottom 30 percent of all full backs in the pl this seasons.

I have no real issue with his attacking output last season. I actually thought he did well for us last season. But its not really relevant to the current criticism of him. These stats also put into perspective just how much his attacking output has dropped this season.

You say that stat as if it was a negative. You realise that puts him in the top 30% of full backs in the League this season for expected assists. You however quote the percentile of the SCAs because that helps your point. Selective removal of information like this shows your point is biased as you are not showing the full picture.

Also this season under Gerrard has to be the worst attacking output this club has seen in the league ever surely.

Going on the 365 days and not just this season gives us the stats for Digne in his time at Villa. A time at Villa under one of the worst managers we've had in our history. 

You can use stats to prove anything. Digne has been average this season and I think it’s testament to his average-ness that the first thing the new manager wants to do is to buy a new left back. 

He’s a very tidy footballer. Technically he’s also very good. He just doesn’t have the pace to be a top fullback. He can’t beat a man and he can’t really dribble with the ball either. He holds us back from an attacking sense and I think teams will start attacking us down that left hand side because they know he’s slow. 

We gave him a daft contract and we’ll pay the price for that. There’s no way we can afford to have players on £160k a week that aren’t first choice. One day maybe, but now now! 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

You say that stat as if it was a negative. You realise that puts him in the top 30% of full backs in the League this season for expected assists. You however quote the percentile of the SCAs because that helps your point. Selective removal of information like this shows your point is biased as you are not showing the full picture.

Also this season under Gerrard has to be the worst attacking output this club has seen in the league ever surely.

Going on the 365 days and not just this season gives us the stats for Digne in his time at Villa. A time at Villa under one of the worst managers we've had in our history. 

I didn’t selectively quote stats. I quoted the exact same stats you did originally lol.

Anyway, the expected assist stat being in the top 30 percent is kind of true(I suspect we’re looking at slight different stats here). Its just, even being in the top 30 percent isn’t necessarily that impressive since he’s still averaging 1 expected assist every 10-11 games. That’s what I wanted to point out.

You want to know whats the average expected assist per 90 for a full back? Its 0.08. Digne’s is 0.09. There is practically no difference. Its just there’s a lot of full backs who have those numbers as well so technically he’s in the top 30 percent.

for some of these stats, its only when you get to the higher percentiles where there is a marked difference. Like Digne is also in the top 20 percentile for goals scores. How many goals has he scored this season? A grand total of 1. Its only true because most fullbacks are on 0 goals. That’s a meaningless stat and certainly doesn’t suggest that Digne is a major goal threat.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Reckon he’ll be at the game tomorrow and will sign Monday/Tuesday 

Betis play Vallecano on Sunday. If he's not in the squad I guess he'll be off.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, I Make Pies said:

I had a quick look on a Betis forum earlier and they seem disappointed to be (potentially) losing him for only £10m - £15m. They think he is worth more, but their financial position is not great and I think his contract might be winding down (not sure if I read that correctly).

is that " little porky pies"?

Â