Álex Moreno

Delphinho123

5 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Don’t really see the point of this? We already have Augustinsson and Young as backup lb. Why do we need to spend another 15-20m euros on another backup lb? Especially one at his age.

This feels like signing Lucas Digne all over again.

Maybe he fits the counter attacking style  Emery wants to play? 10 points out of 15 in arguably our toughest run of fixtures. I’m supportive of what ever signing he makes.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Don’t really see the point of this? We already have Augustinsson and Young as backup lb. Why do we need to spend another 15-20m euros on another backup lb? Especially one at his age.

Who said anything about being a backup?

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

We signed Digne and Targett left the same window. We had only 3 full backs at the club. This is nothing like the Digne signing. 

Augustinsson is on loan. Digne lacks pace. So Moreno for €15m (and quite a modest wage given the relative pennies he's on at Betis) makes total sense to me. Left Full back is an area where Emery likes to have an attacking player as he did at Villareal, so I imagine it's the position where we will often see tactical subs made every game. We need two quality players in the position as a result.

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Have a feeling he would be more of a wing back/winger at a decent price.

Well the way Emery set up at Villareal he had a very attacking left back with an 8 in front in Coquelin. So he might want to be doing that at Villa, so a full back running up and back will be a very taxing role so we need two for nearly every game. 

• Like 1

After the last match I was reading that we need to replace both fullbacks.

Now a potential fullback recruit is mentioned, I’m reading that we don’t need to buy a left back at all.

This is why I love VillaTalk. Keep up the good work!

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

Wonder will he bring in a similar style of RB too or does Cash fit the bill? Would be great to bring in someone as good as Ashley Young but 10 years younger.

I think the way he has operated at Villareal is RB was defensive and there was an attacking RM in front of him who would make runs centrally from RM. 

At LB he would have an attacking player with natural CM in front of him. So that player would be able to cover the space behind the attacking full back. 

So I doubt he will go with two attacking full backs in same team

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CVByrne said:

I think the way he has operated at Villareal is RB was defensive and there was an attacking RM in front of him who would make runs centrally from RM. 

At LB he would have an attacking player with natural CM in front of him. So that player would be able to cover the space behind the attacking full back. 

So I doubt he will go with two attacking full backs in same team

I do see us signing a RB over the next couple of windows. Whilst Emery’s system doesn’t necessarily require that player to be particularly attack minded, it doesn’t require them to be technically good in possession. 

Young fits that bill but is coming to the twighlight of his career. Not sure Cash does really. 

6 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Well the way Emery set up at Villareal he had a very attacking left back with an 8 in front in Coquelin. So he might want to be doing that at Villa, so a full back running up and back will be a very taxing role so we need two for nearly every game. 

I noticed something, which frustrates me at times to be honest, but I'm guessing it's a " tactic ". Critchley employed the same, but the attack is very " left " heavy.

Seems mass emphasis on attacking/overloading down the left, even when I feel there are better and more open options on the right.

I asked the in last match thread as well.

3 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I noticed something, which frustrates me at times to be honest, but I'm guessing it's a " tactic ". Critchley employed the same, but the attack is very " left " heavy.

Seems mass emphasis on attacking/overloading down the left, even when I feel there are better and more open options on the right.

I don’t see it like that mate. The two flanks are set up differently but whilst Bailey is effectively a 2nd striker, he also pulls out to the right flank most of the time.

I think it’s pretty balanced really.

Not convinced by this one, clearly an Unai choice so we've little choice  but to back him. 

Can't start his reign by denying him but like others I'd prefer to wait till the summer to assess our full back options. 

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Maybe he signs 1 defensive and 1 attacking fullback for each side and changes which side to use dependent on opposition or what's happening in the game?

Maybe we look one sided as we don't have the players yet?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, av1 said:

I do see us signing a RB over the next couple of windows. Whilst Emery’s system doesn’t necessarily require that player to be particularly attack minded, it doesn’t require them to be technically good in possession. 

Young fits that bill but is coming to the twighlight of his career. Not sure Cash does really. 

Yeah a non attacking RB who is almost a RCB type player but press resistant and good at passing. Ideally 6 foot+. That's who I think Emery wants there. 

22 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think that's based on the players though. If you've Digne who is far more attacking than Cash at LB and Buendia ahead of him who is an attacking player. It's natural to see those players attacking more than a Young / Cash or Young / McGinn side. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think that's based on the players though. If you've Digne who is far more attacking than Cash at LB and Buendia ahead of him who is an attacking player. It's natural to see those players attacking more than a Young / Cash or Young / McGinn side. 

In addition to this, you also have Bailey on the other side who in theory is the most dangerous player in the team in terms of 1-on-1 situations (pace, dribbling etc), so it makes sense to build from the opposite side as if you then switch the play the defenders are more exposed to this.

Maybe he’s not convinced by Digne and we have a move lined up to ship him out which would significantly reduce the wage bill.

I wouldn’t have a problem with this at all if that’s the case, have been massively disappointed with Digne for the alleged wages we’re paying him…

• Like 2

Â