World Cup: Matches

Genie

6 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes with Bellingham in the team we have improved from the euros and saka immense too. Let's see how we do against USA. I expect a comfortable win 

Bellingham will be dropped if Phillips gets fit

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Whilst it cost me my bet I can’t help but rate the Welsh. They were up against a better team but held on and dug in and probably could have won it in the end. Well done to them. 

Expect England to beat the USA and make changes for the Wales game giving them a great chance of going through. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, PaulC said:

Yes with Bellingham in the team we have improved from the euros and saka immense too. 

With all this talk about the courage of the Iranians in not singing their national anthem, and the whole volatile situation in their country, does anyone not think that this may have had a bearing on their performance? I'm not going so far as to say they were deliberately not trying, but they were considerably more poor than I would have expected. Perhaps the political turmoil was preying on their minds, if only unconsciously? I'm going to reserve judgement on how good England really are until they play a half-decent side. That Iran game smacked to me of flat track bullying. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 4

31 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

With all this talk about the courage of the Iranians in not singing their national anthem, and the whole volatile situation in their country, does anyone not think that this may have had a bearing on their performance? I'm not going so far as to say they were deliberately not trying, but they were considerably more poor than I would have expected. Perhaps the political turmoil was preying on their minds, if only unconsciously? I'm going to reserve judgement on how good England really are until they play a half-decent side. That Iran game smacked to me off flat track bullying. 

Yes, I agree with this, I don't think that was a particularly dedicated or focused Iran, and I don't see how the turmoil at home could have not had an impact really. 

41 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

With all this talk about the courage of the Iranians in not singing their national anthem, and the whole volatile situation in their country, does anyone not think that this may have had a bearing on their performance? I'm not going so far as to say they were deliberately not trying, but they were considerably more poor than I would have expected. Perhaps the political turmoil was preying on their minds, if only unconsciously? I'm going to reserve judgement on how good England really are until they play a half-decent side. That Iran game smacked to me off flat track bullying. 

Yet England still couldn't keep a clean sheet. 

15 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Yet England still couldn't keep a clean sheet. 

One dodgy pen and the other goal as a result of Maguire feeling unwell. England still bossed the game and should have had a pen too.....

Iran was a banana skin, they are a good team with a good manager. Their record is good recently....

12 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

One dodgy pen and the other goal as a result of Maguire feeling unwell. England still bossed the game and should have had a pen too.....

Iran was a banana skin, they are a good team with a good manager. Their record is good recently....

England still let 2 goals in. A better team will punish the poor defence and I feel the high scoring attack is more the anomaly and they'll revert to struggling to break teams down. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Precisely my point above. It raises the question of whether they were a good team made to look poor by an excellent England side, or a team performing well below par (for whatever reason) and thus making England look good. We'll see. 

38 minutes ago, villaglint said:

Not even Southgate is that stupid. 

But he's stupid enough to have started phillips if he was fit... Its a masterstroke that's stared him in the face for over a year because it was so blindingly obvious yet it took phillips not being 100% for it to happen

2 minutes ago, will87 said:

Soft as anything

I thought that, he just learned into him and fell over. How to get a penalty, refs and VAR are clueless.

Starting to look a bit corrupt not giving McGuire's yesterday.

Edited by foreveryoung

1 minute ago, foreveryoung said:

I thought that, he just learned into him and fell over. How to get a penalty, refs and VAR are clueless.

Starting to look a bit corrupt not giving McGuire's yesterday.

Arm around the midriff = knees buckling

Refs have no common sense and don't understand what they're watching, it's infuriating

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Arm around the midriff = knees buckling

Refs have no common sense and don't understand what they're watching, it's infuriating

If you wanna get detailed, that Bale foul was not a penalty either, yes they are always given, but it's manufactured, he moved across him causing the player to push him over. I'd actually say 75% of penalties are not really fouls, but then I guess 75% of fouls are not really fouls. 😂