Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Mantis said:

No it doesn't, it just means the manager is bedding players in slowly and that the window hasn't ended yet. It's incredibly common, so common in fact that Newcastle were in the exact same position I believe.

"Bedding in players slowly..."

So in essence underprepared, got ya. Touché amigo.

• Haha 2

Just now, Zhan_Zhuang said:

"Bedding in players slowly..."

So in essence underprepared, got ya. Touché amigo.

How is bedding in new players gradually, which many clubs do, including the team that just beat us 5-1, amount to evidence of a culture of unpreparedness?

Absolutely no worries about Emery working out what to do, but he’s facing a genuine injury crisis atm, and having to integrate new players.

It may be that we start the season fairly mediocre and then kick on as the squad gels.

Mings out means we’re basically rebuilding the back line.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, duke313 said:

The good thing is Emery is in charge, he’s not going to go out and do the same thing again and hope it works this time, like our last manager did week in week out.

Indeed. You often learn more from failure than success (there's a joke in here about Gerrard being the most learned man in modern football), and while I'm not happy about the game today, I'm bloody sure that he's going to be watching that game over and over again, listing out each and every failure.

Almost every team gets an occasional thumping. It happens, but we'll react well to it hopefully.

Edited by Davkaus

Feel a bit for Emery. His whole game plan had to change during the last training session, then that defensive plan was ripped up with Ty going down. When it’s not your weekend, there is little even the very best can do. 

I have no doubt there will be a reaction from the team next weekend on home turf.

• Thanks 3

Probably the most testing time for Unai. Not even the loss after Stevenage and the mini bad run with Leicester, Arsenal, and City felt as bad as this. 

Losing an important creative midfielder and the spine of the defense in the same week and being torn apart by one of our league comparables. 

But Unai has faced plenty of adversity before and he must steady the ship and work with the tools he has. He’s adjusted the team before and I’m sure he will again. 

Villa never make it easy, especially not for the manager. 

Just now, The Moustache of Teale said:

You make a fair point, and yet, just a few months ago when we played Newcastle at Villa Park the opposite was true - we bullied them and were first to pretty much everything that day. It’s baffling how things change from game to game.

Home advantage is huge. Especially on the opening day

I love the culture of family he’s creating but honestly, I thought the t-shirts for Emi were OTT and possibly had a negative impact on the players mindset going into the game (ie he’s a massive loss, something terrible has happened, how will we cope without him etc). Maybe, maybe not but I don’t want to see the T-shirts for Tyrone. I want them to show inner steel, be able to adapt tactically and come out fighting. Anything less than that and we might as well give up the season now. 

9 minutes ago, WallisFrizz said:

I love the culture of family he’s creating but honestly, I thought the t-shirts for Emi were OTT and possibly had a negative impact on the players mindset going into the game (ie he’s a massive loss, something terrible has happened, how will we cope without him etc). Maybe, maybe not but I don’t want to see the T-shirts for Tyrone. I want them to show inner steel, be able to adapt tactically and come out fighting. Anything less than that and we might as well give up the season now. 

Totally agree here, was a bit embarrassed by the T-shirts tbh, don’t wanna see them for mings.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Callum said:

Totally agree here, was a bit embarrassed by the T-shirts tbh, don’t wanna see them for mings.

I think it showed that there is a team sprit, not something we have seen at Villa for a while as there has always been the odd rotten apple in there! 

Mings is Mr Aston Villa, leader on and off the pitch, huge blow to lose him.

I am sure Unai knows that we need to strengthen in key areas and we will see new additions.

Was just a bad day. Let's roll out sleeves up and go again 🤣

Â