Unai Emery

PeterSw

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

We don’t seem to draw as many as we used to, do we? Not just under Emery, in general.

19/20 - 8 draws (only 6 clubs drew fewer)

20/21 - 7 draws (4 clubs)

21/22 - 6 draws (3 clubs)

22/23 (so far) - 4 draws (4 clubs)

Prior to relegation, you’d have to go back to 1997/98 for a season when we drew fewer than 8 games. You could add the draws from this season so far, last season and the season before that and the amount would be the same as the McLeish season :D

Yeah I noticed that too. Under Gerrard and in Smith's later months we became quite soft and easy to beat. Under Emery we now seem to be quite difficult to beat, unless you're a top team?

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, avfc1982am said:

Probably the most I've seen him lose his shit on the touchline today. Even from the Holte End you could see him screwing at times with our play. Love it.

You could even hear him on the broadcast losing his mind at times.  He went absolutely ballistic on Buendia in the last 15 minutes or so for doing a backheel in our box and I remember him going off on Moreno for not making a run for JJ in the 1st half, which resulted in a turnover.  You can see already after 12 games that the players are improving their decision making, but there is still a lot left to do.  Glad Emery is a perfectionist and will continue to push the players to become the best of their ability.  

• Like 4

I know its early days, but good progress under Emery, especially considering this is a squad he has inherited.

Emery took over after game week 13.

image.png.837356ca9200581a9bc1d2dbb4312603.png

Also, the Avg. PPG over our 4 managers is also interesting (DS - Dean Smith, SG - Steven Gerrard, AD - Aaron Danks, UE - Unai Emery):

image.png.39b1d1ba654d06d5f02f60f663380062.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whilst it’s not perfect the progress in the time he has been here is clear to see. It’s really exciting that we finally have a world class manager. I wonder what we’ll be like next season after a preseason and some of his own players in. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst it’s not perfect the progress in the time he has been here is clear to see. It’s really exciting that we finally have a world class manager. I wonder what we’ll be like next season after a preseason and some of his own players in. 

will also be interesting to see in the summer, what he makes of players like Archer, A.Ramsey, Iroegbunam, Philogene, Azaz etc.

I guess its a win-win, if he like one or two of them they might be a good part of the squad, if not maybe a few sales of our youth assets could really bump up our transfer kitty.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

Also noticeable that in his last few interviews he is pronouncing "Evening" correctly. He's getting better using the V.

On another note, such a likeable manager. It's been such a long time since having such trust in a manager to take this club forward. It's a weird feeling. 

Hopefully by the time he's done here he's got a full Brummie accent

• Haha 1

Just now, blunther said:

Hopefully by the time he's done here he's got a full Brummie accent

Lord no!! Proud Brummie but I wouldn't wish the accent on anyone, even though my own is mild it's taken decades to tone it down 😂

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

When you think about the team he took over this is incredible. 

The way we play football is night and day with that "proven winner"

I wonder if those that thought nothing much would change have now accepted Gerrard was woeful. 

I'm very excited to see him get his own players. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Interesting that we're also among the top 6 for goals scored. Under Gerrard we couldn't score for shit at the beginning of the season.

Scored in 12 straight league games now. That's rather impressive.

• Like 1

Even Gerrard had a pretty spectacular start to his reign so it's always foolish to praise a manager too much early on - but I think 12 games is probably enough to firmly conclude Emery is the real deal given the results we've been achieving.

Hopefully he'll continue to rack up the points for the next month or so because it means him and the team will have much more credit in the bank when he inevitably has a string of bad / unlucky results. Some of the reactions on here when we lost three in a row (two against the top two teams in the league) were pretty over the top and hopefully in the future people will have the confidence to recognise a blip in form for what it really is.

• Like 2

Our goal today was Emery all over - the stuff at the back where we keep it is entirely designed to change the opposition's plan - we will bore them to death, they must come and get it, and when they do we find space - that is a constant of Emery's plan. Then also he relies on pacey accurate attack - if we had the right players for this then it will work but god it does work even with the players we have. Emery is a man with a plan, and he and his teams are consistant. 

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

Even Gerrard had a pretty spectacular start to his reign so it's always foolish to praise a manager too much early on - but I think 12 games is probably enough to firmly conclude Emery is the real deal given the results we've been achieving.

Hopefully he'll continue to rack up the points for the next month or so because it means him and the team will have much more credit in the bank when he inevitably has a string of bad / unlucky results. Some of the reactions on here when we lost three in a row (two against the top two teams in the league) were pretty over the top and hopefully in the future people will have the confidence to recognise a blip in form for what it really is.

I think the litmus test for any manager is when the emotional and adrenaline aspect is gone out of it from a playing point of view when the new guy comes in the door, versus what’s it like 4 - 5 months down the line. There was probably a bit of giddiness in the forum ( myself included ) with the first few Emery games. In actuality it was probably part coaching and part “ anyone but gerrard “ with the response he got from them initially. In the same way as it had got so messy under Smith at the end, that they were responding to just a new voice rather than anything spectacular Gerrard had done. And , when the emotion and adrenaline dropped ( invariably it does, novelty doesn’t last ) his coaching ability or lack there of came to the fore ) I still don’t think we’ve seen Emery even put a finger on the pulse here. Excited to see what he can do when he really makes it his own. 

Â