Unai Emery

PeterSw

5 minutes ago, allani said:

If people did watch this before today's match - watch it again now.  If you didn't watch it before - watch it now.  Almost every part of the analysis was how we played today.  The CBs pushing wide to create triangles, giving the CMs space to play killer balls through for the attacking midfielders to drive forward.  To the lines being 4-4-2 in defence (with Bailey usually a bit higher up alongside Ollie) and then the shuffling of players around once we got the ball.  The LB playing more attacking, with the RB slightly more defensive.

I think this type of formation is going to really play to the strengths of many of our players and minimise some of our weaknesses.  I just hope that if Plan A isn't working they can adapt to Plan B rather than reverting to the "kick and chase" of the last 24 months.  If so then we could still salvage something out of this season.  I thought we were a couple of players short of a top 10 finish this season - but I think that Kamara, Luiz and Ramsay could be brilliant under this system (and it probably suits Sanson too).  Although Ollie was very good today I'm still not convinced his first touch is good enough - but he definitely did more than enough to own the starting berth again.  Maybe Unai is the man to turn him into the CF we need.

And for everyone who has been moaning about Digne - today showed why he was such a good signing.  I think he's going to prove a lot of people wrong in the coming weeks / months.  Absolutely immense in defence and attack today.

We need some pace for the tactics to work and we are lacking in this area, outside the first XI. I think that will be a priority for Emery in the January window. 

• Like 1

• Replies 12.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got into Villa cos my Grandad, up at his place watching the Coca Cola cup final against Manure. He'd have enjoyed that one today.

UE is already having a clear affect on this team. They're looking up and looking around - I screamed look up and Olly squared it to Ramsey. His natural jnclination is is to shoot in that position even though the angle is acute. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidcow said:

Right, I'm off to the match. 

I look forward to getting back and finding this thread boosted by 20 odd pages of people waxing lyrical about his genius. 

Only 5 pages. Must do better VT. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, KMitch said:

Really puts it into perspective just how bad we were under Gerrard...  

Gerrard said Chelsea should wipe the floor with us.

You think players takes confidence from that?

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Gerrard said Chelsea should wipe the floor with us.

You think players takes confidence from that?

He said stuff like that to protect himself in case we did get battered, so he looks less of an idiot. He really was that insecure about his managerial ability.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

He said stuff like that to protect himself in case we did get battered, so he looks less of an idiot. He really was that insecure about his managerial ability.

And rightly so! 

Â