Pre-Match Thread

Sulberto21

We really really need the first goal in this to get anything here.

If Newcastle lead they've shown this season they can see games out with clean sheets and also pick teams off on the break so going to be really tough.

Our record is a joke up there aswell, couldn't even get a win in the lockdown seasons and I think last season's performance was the first big red flag Gerrard wasn't going to be all he was cracked up to be. Think in twenty years now we've only won once and that was the infamous Bowyer-Dyer fight match when they ended with 8 men.

That said Emery has incredible knowledge of how to go to tough away venues and get something so hopefully he starts pragmatically and we can grind out a 1-1.

Our lot will go out with no fear . And knowing they have to perform for a watching on Emery.  Going to be a hard fought game but one i am not worrying about. Bring the mentality of Sunday and we will give ourselves a real chance.  

Guimares vs Luiz 

Trippier vs Bailey 

Almiron  vs Buendia 

Wilson vs Martinez 

Some interesting match ups there 

3 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Our lot will go out with no fear . And knowing they have to perform for a watching on Emery.  Going to be a hard fought game but one i am not worrying about. Bring the mentality of Sunday and we will give ourselves a real chance.  

Guimares vs Luiz 

Trippier vs Bailey 

Almiron  vs Buendia 

Wilson vs Martinez 

Some interesting match ups there 

Hopefully if Mings plays well this will have little relevance 😉

Some good match ups there though - Feeling much more positive about this now and think (hope) we can come away with a point (3 would be A-mazing).

Need the first goal, silence the crowd and I can see a 1-1.

I would be extremely surprised if the players didn't attack this game as they did Brentford, what with the new manager watching. Emery will also be setting us up regardless of work permit rules.I actually feel as though we can edge it but otherwise expect a point.

1 hour ago, TheFish said:

Huge result for you lads on the weekend, was it the shackles coming off after Gerrard left, or players that haven't had a chance staking their case for a start?

Kind of more shackles off, but really it was them playing a shape that made sense. Giving the players well defined jobs to do and none of this madness of emptying the midfield to cover for the fullbacks getting up the pitch. We played to the player's strengths and it worked.

You lot are flying at the moment, will be different for us up there even playing the same shape.

Newcastle are much better than Brentford.

Howe has them coached properly.

We might not have Gerrard anymore, but we've spent a year not being coached and drilled so everyone knows exactly what to do. 

Therefore, i think it'll be close but we'll end up losing 2-1. 

Really impressed with the footballing side of what Newcastle are doing......will be a really tough game.

but with the right application, and  4-2-3-1.....we can give them a game.

• Like 1

Its actually suprising newcastle have quite a few injuries yet are still doing very well and lost only one game (which they were robbed) against liverpool

They are going to be a very good side once their players come back. I wouldnt rule them out for a CL spot the way they are going

Cracking game on the cards , Newcastle doing well but slipped up a bit and we're on a high. If Newcastle beat us then they are closer to top 6 than most people think, my thoughts , they are a good team overachieving, I think we canm beat them , 3-1 , villa . 

• Like 1

We have a truly awful record at St James Park

We have won once in all competitions out of the last 20 games stretching back to 2001

LOST - 10

WON - 1

DREW - 9

I'll be happy if we can come away adding to the draw tally 

• Sad 1