Match Thread: Villa v Brentford

limpid

Just now, TheAuthority said:

Am I being too much of a Villa fan by remembering when O'Neil left, Kevin McDonald stepping as caretaker and we beat West Ham 3-0. Then we lost the next league game 0-6 to Newcastle.

Guess who we've got next in the league :(

Oh god. History really does repeat itself. 

Just now, penguin said:

A lot of people look to be putting this down to player effort but that’s well wide of the mark for me, seen these players bust a gut running around like a headless chicken for Gerrard countless times over recent games.

Difference for me is a shape which doesn’t leave us constantly exposed due to our full-backs having to provide ALL the width so Mcginn and Ramsey, who aren’t great defensive players to begin with, getting pulled all over the place and gaping holes are left when they aren’t in a position to defend like in transition.

Buendia as a 10 has been a master stroke and he’s been excellent, roaming all over the pitch constantly offering an option and allowing Luiz and Dendonker an option at all times allowing them to retain shape. He is also tenacious off the ball, certainly not the stereotypical “luxury player” a player of his skill in a 10 role may be associated with.

We are attacking with tempo when we win the ball and not allowing the opponent to settle in shape which is allowing Watkins and Bailey to get in behind with pace, again reducing the burden on the full-backs to constantly overlap.

Such simple tweaks really but it’s all the more infuriating Gerrard was persisting with what clearly wasn’t working. 

Spot on

Much easier to commit and get stuck in when you have been clearly told your role on the pitch, and know your team mates will be backing you up because they have been told their roles as well

Just now, KangarooVillan said:

I feel like complicated gives too much credit, chaotic maybe

Lol...  I can't remember which footballer/pundit was saying this about AVB at Chelsea/Spurs.  Said he had an individualized thick binder each player needed to study to plan for the next game and most of the team was like "huh?  How complicated is he making this?"

3 minutes ago, DevonIsAPlaceOnEarth said:

Can’t wait for the media tomorrow. “Who’s to say that performance wasn’t coming under Gerrard?”.

That clown Danny Murphy will write it off as new manager bounce. And it's a hell of a lot more than that.

We’re actually spreading the pitch and moving the ball with pace. It’s not complicated and we’re not doing it perfectly but it’s amazing what some speed on the ball does.

Also haven’t seen 2 players standing in the same 5m radius too often which is a f****** relief. We actually have shape.

• Like 1

Please don't **** this up. Please don't **** this up. Please don't **** this up. Please don't **** this up. Please don't **** this up. Please don't **** this up. Please don't **** this up. Please don't **** this up. Please don't **** this up. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1