Match Thread: Villa v Brentford

limpid

I think the whole team has been superb. 

Luiz has ran the game, he looks every inch a Brazilian Midfielder today. 

Loving Buendia's work rate, the lad don't stop hassling and winning ball back. 

Dendoncker has been superb. Won a lot of ball and kept it simples. 

Hoping Ings slaps in his hat-trick before the hour mark and we can see Archer given 30mins. 

Oh and just to truly stick 2 fingers up at Stevie the Clown, hopefully Sanson comes on while McGinn spends 90mins on the bench. 

UTV 💜💙

• Like 4

Imagine if CP had the guts to make the change when it was obvious a month and a half ago. We might be top 8. 

I know I should just be happy, but I’m worried that wasted time and those dropped points are going to haunt us. 

• Like 3

Excellent. Really, really excellent. Didn’t expect to see Watkins on the right and Bailey on the left but that running ability out wide has caused them problems and Ings has been superb through the middle.

The best aspect to our play is without doubt the two in the middle though. Dendoncker and Luiz have been excellent. I’d argue it’s Luiz’s best game in a Villa shirt. 

The only slight negative is I think Buendia has been sloppy in possession. I’d like to see Coutinho given a chance in there at some point. 

Superb first half. We’re finally playing a system that suits us more and we’re not being exposed down the flanks as the fullbacks aren’t being asked to be complete d*ckheads. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Two things happening in a big way for us here:

1.  The double pivot - both of them are holding but breaking upfield when the opportunity arises.  It's providing a real link between defence/midfield and attack.
2.  The pressing.  It's everywhere, too!  Massive difference.  We're winning the ball back quickly and in good areas.  It's not just the attackers - Luiz is getting right into his man when balls are played in Brentford's midfield.

It does feel like the players may be relieved Gerrard has gone.  There's a certain freedom about this half that we haven't seen before. 

Again so mcuh easier to press when you don't have 2 dead weights in that regard in the middle of the park with mcginn and Ramsey. 

5 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I think this is a little harsh on a guy who has been a great servant of our club

I know. I should have just said McGinn, not the snarky nickname. 

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Two things happening in a big way for us here:

1.  The double pivot - both of them are holding but breaking upfield when the opportunity arises.  It's providing a real link between defence/midfield and attack.
2.  The pressing.  It's everywhere, too!  Massive difference.  We're winning the ball back quickly and in good areas.  It's not just the attackers - Luiz is getting right into his man when balls are played in Brentford's midfield.

It does feel like the players may be relieved Gerrard has gone.  There's a certain freedom about this half that we haven't seen before. 

The double pivot allows our 4 forward players to play with freedom too and gives protection for the full backs to push forward providing more width, you also get more with in a 4231 anyway.

This is literally what I have been saying the whole time Gerrard was here.

3 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Loving Dendonker and Luiz in the double pivot. Each one dynamically breaks forward at different times knowing the other is covering behind.

And who'd have thought playing a left-footed Bailey on the left would mean we get to the byline and turn the defense around. An assist within 10 minutes.

Football really isn't that difficult.

Tbf if cash had overlapped once this season we could have seen that on the right too with Bailey laying it off to him. 

3 minutes ago, duke313 said:

It’s just our players not being asked to play a stupid system that doesn’t work, and players who’ve been crap have been dropped.

Bit of bounce for sure due to SG departure but essentially yes this is simply it. Whatever SG was trying to do was too complicated and over thought backed up by total stubborness.