Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

22 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

well run and (relatively) well managed at the same time. 

I think the issue there was that we weren't especially well run. Burnt through so much cash chasing the dream that we had to severely cut back eventually leading to relegation.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dale said:

I think the issue there was that we weren't especially well run. Burnt through so much cash chasing the dream that we had to severely cut back eventually leading to relegation.

Have to add.................Emile Heskey! We were I think 2nd or 3rd and scoring freely when he arrived. 4th was absolutley there for the taking. Signing him was like throwing a huge blanket over our goals for column and we ended up 6th.That was the huge mistake for Lerner & O'neill in my view. A poor, poor decision. It was clear for all to see that our goals had dried up as a result but MON's stubborness in persistently playing him instead of Carew etc reminds me of Gerrard's insistence in playing a woefully out of form Coutinho!

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Condimentalist said:

It's not a poisoned chalice, we just make poor managerial choices and historically have been poorly run.

Smith was the exception - before that you have to go back to MON when we were both well run and (relatively) well managed at the same time. 

We are now very well run behind the scenes but have the wrong manager. It can change quickly but Gerrard ain't it and tbh I'm almost hoping we lose the next couple so there is just cause to make a change rather than dragging this out any longer. 

Seems like a Poisoned Chalice to me...

Since I started supporting Villa in 86 we came closest twice with Taylor and then Atkinson, honourable mentions to Brian Little and perhaps Gregory but that's it.

Yeah woohoo we finished sixth under O'Neill yet we were miles off and the club wasn't well run at all, Habib Bye was on how much? They gave O'Neill too much control and paid the cost for it...

Yeah we need change against by the looks of it, is that well run? I dunno....

42 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Just read that the only double Gerrard did last season over any team was Potter’s Brighton.

Which is why I would never be in favour of Potter. BTW I think he's a good manager but I think similar to Smith and Gerrard that having a low bar has allowed him to prosper. The Villa job is now not for a low bar manager. This club needs an elite manager, whatever the cost. A top manager with average players will far outweigh the benefits of an average manager with top players. 

• Like 4

I’m fully on board the Poch train, and here’s why.

I know it’s only one game. But it was one of the worst performances I’ve seen yet under SG. He might turn things around, get a few wins here and there. But he will never take us to the next level. 14th to 10th is the best we’re getting with him.

Nip it in the bud now and go all out for a truly elite manager.

Smith was sacked for losing five in a row, having finished 11th the season before.

It’s not unreasonable to question Gerrard who’s won two in twelve (or whatever it is) and finishes 14th.

Hope he turns it around. I don’t think he will.

• Like 2

On 07/08/2022 at 11:18, Jareth said:

Christ - should Liverpool sack klopp? We are 1 game in. It’s absurd to be talking manager change. 

If Klopp got sacked, Stevie would be banging the door down to get in there with out a thought of showing us any loyalty. 

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

I’m fully on board the Poch train, and here’s why.

I know it’s only one game. But it was one of the worst performances I’ve seen yet under SG. He might turn things around, get a few wins here and there. But he will never take us to the next level. 14th to 10th is the best we’re getting with him.

Nip it in the bud now and go all out for a truly elite manager.

The best people can hope for who want Gerrard out is that there's been a meltdown behind the scenes and ownership are aware and concerned. 

If not, he's going nowhere anytime soon.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

On 07/08/2022 at 00:22, regular_john said:

I am really not a fan of Gerrard but, even for me, this is a bit much after one game!

Its more than "after one game" SG has been bleating about our unbeaten pre-season,about bieng in a good place,about bieng where he wants us to be,about "hitting the ground running" and all the other verbal garbage he has been serving up......... We top all that off with a loss to Bournemouth FFS.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, maqroll said:

The best people can hope for who want Gerrard out is that there's been a meltdown behind the scenes and ownership are aware and concerned. 

If not, he's going nowhere anytime soon.

That’s kind of what I’m hoping for. Also Gerrard’s ego might mean he won’t wait about to be sacked and could walk.

But if he doesn’t get a win against Everton or Palace, and most likely won’t get a win against West Ham, Arsenal and City. That’ll be 6 games without a win going into The middle of September. That Leicester game will be make or break for him I’d imagine.

Graham Potter would be my choice.

If Brighton want £15mill, pay it. They look excellent as a side, everyone knows their role, they play attractive football and with better players (arguable) to work with, he'd push on as a manager. 

The only thing Brighton lack is a goalscorer. If they had one, they'd be pushing top 7 easily and that's down to Potter. 

Only issue with Potter is he will be headhunted by the FA sooner or later. 

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

It doesn’t help when pages with big followings deliberately misquote Gerrard. He said we didn’t cross the ball well enough - big difference. 

It definitely doesn’t help. On that point though why are we trying to win games through crossing when we must have the smallest front line in the league. Nothing makes sense atm  

I believe that some people are missing the point banging on that we can't sack Stevie one game in, SG has carried on where he left off last season. If a player had a run of 11 bad, not poor, BAD games at the end of the season, and then started the season with an even worse performance, would you say give him another 10 games before you drop him? We have got 9 points from a possible 36 in our last 12 games. It makes no difference how many games we are into the season, nothing has improved in result and performance.

39 minutes ago, Podster said:

I believe that some people are missing the point banging on that we can't sack Stevie one game in, SG has carried on where he left off last season. If a player had a run of 11 bad, not poor, BAD games at the end of the season, and then started the season with an even worse performance, would you say give him another 10 games before you drop him? We have got 9 points from a possible 36 in our last 12 games. It makes no difference how many games we are into the season, nothing has improved in result and performance.

I think we do have to give him the home game to see if anything has changed

It being vs Everton means that is a definite should win game for us, not even just win but be able to play our stuff and win it well

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

If and when a change is needed, then my top three choices for consideration (in order) would be:

Pochettino

Potter

Benitez

I wouldn’t even rule out or be disappointed with Bielsa right now. 

Absolutely no chance to Benitez or bielsa with me. Poch would be my first choice. I’d also love potter but I feel like again we’re taking a risk on a managers potential, I think he’s brilliant though. 

2 hours ago, The_Steve said:

It doesn’t help when pages with big followings deliberately misquote Gerrard. He said we didn’t cross the ball well enough - big difference. 

Yes, that is a big difference in the context of how the quote was intended to be taken.

But were our crosses actually poor, or were we just victims of playing a team of relative giants? If the latter, then the blame isn't on the quality of our deliveries... its on the decision to make so many crosses given our unanimously shorter players. And that issue sits with Stevie boy, not the players. 

If we show no change in style and/or personnel for Everton, then I will be very much on the next manager bandwagon. And whoever that is, will have a tough job trying to win over players that Gerrard has signed,  particularly Coutinho and maybe even Kamara.