Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 hours ago, The_Steve said:

It doesn’t help when pages with big followings deliberately misquote Gerrard. He said we didn’t cross the ball well enough - big difference. 

Telegraph have reported that quote

40 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I think we do have to give him the home game to see if anything has changed

It being vs Everton means that is a definite should win game for us, not even just win but be able to play our stuff and win it well

Good point, I agree

1 hour ago, Podster said:

I believe that some people are missing the point banging on that we can't sack Stevie one game in, SG has carried on where he left off last season. If a player had a run of 11 bad, not poor, BAD games at the end of the season, and then started the season with an even worse performance, would you say give him another 10 games before you drop him? We have got 9 points from a possible 36 in our last 12 games. It makes no difference how many games we are into the season, nothing has improved in result and performance.

Fir the same reason Smith wasn't sacked after Watford or any of the other bad results until November. 

4 minutes ago, maqroll said:

Fir the same reason Smith wasn't sacked after Watford or any of the other bad results until November. 

Smith had a hell of a lot more credit in the bank. Absolute no comparison

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

That guy at RB Salzburg looks interesting, Jaissle or something. 

Matthias Jaissle - Would be my rogue choice also, but would be hard to convince him/get him out of the RB-sports family.

I could easily be wrong but I think his preferred system would largely work with the players we already have in the club (i.e. no wide forwards and advancing full backs).

Still, don't feel this is close yet.

1 minute ago, villarule123 said:

If there's a chance to get Poch in then I'd pull the trigger on Stevie G right now. I didn't want him in the first place, there's nothing happening on the pitch now to suggest he's the man to take us forward and with Poch's record at Spurs + the way he brought kids through there, it's surely too big an opportunity to miss. 

At the very least, overtures should be made towards Pochettino's agent.

Suss out his potential interest, let him know we are interested...maybe even come to an unofficial understanding with an expiration date attatched.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Based on what except being Purslows mate

Exactly that. Purslow sacked the immensely popular Smith in easily the most controversial move of his tenure and replaced him with his pal. 

He's taken a bit of a gamble here and he's not about to concede defeat after one game. 

While the justification for sacking Smith was that the bad results formed a continuum from the previous season, with Gerrard he will consider this season a fresh slate, especially because it's been his first full preseason. 

So unless the dressing room erupts in mutiny and results continue to shock, Gerrard is safe, IMO.

• Like 1

The next manager needs to bring some excitement back this is some Bruce/Pulis style shit we are serving up now

People didnt love Smith just because he was a Villa fan, yes it helped but he was liked because he tried to play attacking football while winning big games and beating 5 of the scum 6

Now all that positivity has been crushed in less than a year

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

We have 2 winnable games up next then three very tough games in West Ham, arsenal and city. It could get ugly very quickly 

Winnable yes, but not if the starting 11 consists of mostly players that struggled in pre-season with no game plan. I’m seriously concerned that we could end up with zero points after the first 6 games. What then, who would want to take over a mess like that.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Reivax_Villa said:

I hope the majority keep the same energy if he wins 5 games on the bounce..

“if” is doing all the heavy lifting in that sentence.

I would refer to the excitement after the first six games of his tenure or the three wins at the end of February.  If he delivers this place will be rocking, the majority of fans wants to enjoy, wants to be positive, wants to be excited and if it comes the fans will be there but the majority of it has been poor outside of the games mentioned.  

He’s more likely at this stage to lose five games on the bounce than come anywhere close to winning five games on the bounce.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Enda said:

Smith was sacked for losing five in a row, having finished 11th the season before.

It’s not unreasonable to question Gerrard who’s won two in twelve (or whatever it is) and finishes 14th.

Hope he turns it around. I don’t think he will.

Stevie G’s already lost 5 a in a row. Goes under the radar. Winning mentality. Standards have gone up though. Talks well. Elevated the club. Managed to bring Philppe “Albatross” Coutinho to the club. 

It seems way early to sack. I don’t think any media pundit or social media genius is ingenious enough to judge so harshly at this point. There are one or two things more important than losing matches, and one of them is honouring the integrity of the decisions the club makes when it backs a manager.

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Exactly that. Purslow sacked the immensely popular Smith in easily the most controversial move of his tenure and replaced him with his pal. 

He's taken a bit of a gamble here and he's not about to concede defeat after one game. 

While the justification for sacking Smith was that the bad results formed a continuum from the previous season, with Gerrard he will consider this season a fresh slate, especially because it's been his first full preseason. 

So unless the dressing room erupts in mutiny and results continue to shock, Gerrard is safe, IMO.

I think Lord Farquaad (i.e. Purslow) was looking for any excuse to get rid of Dean and bring in Gerrard. Quoting a continuum of poor results from the previous season was garbage as we beat Tottenham and Chelsea the last two games of the season. We had 10 points from 6 games at the start of the season, and then have a minor meltdown when 2-0 up against Wolves. Purslow then pulled the trigger he'd been patiently waiting to pull during the international break. It all happened far too quickly. He had Stevie G waiting in the wings.

Pin by Brittany Bullock on Just for laughs | Lord farquaad, Shrek ...