Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

Just now, USA_Villa said:

I think Lord Farquaad (i.e. Purslow) was looking for any excuse to get rid of Dean and bring in Gerrard. Quoting a continuum of poor results from the previous season was garbage as we beat Tottenham and Chelsea the last two games of the season. We had 10 points from 6 games at the start of the season, and then have a minor meltdown when 2-0 up against Wolves. Purslow then pulled the trigger he'd been patiently waiting to pull during the international break. It all happened far too quickly. He had Stevie G waiting in the wings.

Pin by Brittany Bullock on Just for laughs | Lord farquaad, Shrek ...

Exactly hence why the gerrard deal was done so quickly

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Personally I hope people adjust their opinions to the reality of the situation, but each to their own I guess. 

Right.

If he wins 5 on the bounce then it's happy days and opinions should be readjusted accordingly.

But that's not happened yet so it's kind of weird to use some hypothetical scenario to paint people reacting reasonably to the actual current reality as rigid or dogmatic, when it seems the reverse is more true? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 1974Centenary said:

With 14000 views and only 481 replies id say you were in a minority,but then the minority always makes the most noise

Who is that aimed for?

Also I’ve looked at this thread probably 5x or more than I have commented on it and I’m sure others have done more than that.  

Plus are you assuming all those who have viewed and not commented are disagreeing because I can’t see that, surely they would comment a disagreement.

39 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

It seems way early to sack. I don’t think any media pundit or social media genius is ingenious enough to judge so harshly at this point. There are one or two things more important than losing matches, and one of them is honouring the integrity of the decisions the club makes when it backs a manager.

You speak as though SG has just been appointed, we got 9 points out of the last 36. As for honor and integrity,  if Kolpp got the sack, or for any imaginable reason left the Pool, Stevie would be banging on the door shouting "gis a job", and, do you seriously think if he did get the offer to go to Liverpool he would say no thanks I have to do the honorable thing and stay as Villa.

2 hours ago, maqroll said:

Fir the same reason Smith wasn't sacked after Watford or any of the other bad results until November. 

Yes and it was that soft stupidity that almost got us relegated, surely they should have learnt by now that waiting untill November is a bad idea.

When it comes to it being the right or wrong time to sack a manager, all that matters is having the right person available and lined up to take over.  It could be that Pochettino is only remotely likely right now or if we give Gerrard 6-10 matches to hang himself then Poch may have gone somewhere else and we have no worthy alternatives.  Wes and Nassef could be key in all this, it must be them who would have to sanction paying out the wages to attract someone like Poch and might put pressure on Purslow to get it done.  That's my hope anyway.  I think this is just what Gerrard's level is as I have seen no nous whatsoever, he solely bases his management on 'character' and played the same way.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

When it comes to it being the right or wrong time to sack a manager, all that matters is having the right person available and lined up to take over.  It could be that Pochettino is only remotely likely right now or if we give Gerrard 6-10 matches to hang himself then Poch may have gone somewhere else and we have no worthy alternatives.  Wes and Nassef could be key in all this, it must be them who would have to sanction paying out the wages to attract someone like Poch and might put pressure on Purslow to get it done.  That's my hope anyway.  I think this is just what Gerrard's level is as I have seen no nous whatsoever, he solely bases his management on 'character' and played the same way.

You are so right in what you have just said. My thoughts exactly.

Edited by Podster

34 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

He would steady a sinking ship. Take into account our results since March, Benitez would have got more from this group.  

Yes Benitez would have gotten more from the team, but all that shows is how useless SG has been, there are managers from 2 divisions below us who could have got more from the team than SG. The BEST Benitez could do is steady the ship, I want to see a manager who can make us great again, not someone who is just topping up their pension.

Edited by Podster

When was the last time an English manager brought any sort of tactical innovation to the league? 

Or won for that matter. They seem destined to be decent with lower league up to, at best, also rans in the Prem. 

But good foreigners are also hard to come by unless you are willing to take a punt.

13 minutes ago, daft said:

When was the last time an English manager brought any sort of tactical innovation to the league? 

Or won for that matter. They seem destined to be decent with lower league up to, at best, also rans in the Prem. 

But good foreigners are also hard to come by unless you are willing to take a punt.

Its odd because English managers never get a chance really. Lampard got the Chelsea job by default as they were in a transfer ban. 

If Graham Potter was called Gunter Potertz, he'd have had a bigger job by now. 

• Like 3

Anyway, my first choice when Smith was sacked, was Potter. He remains my default choice, if we do look for a new manager this season. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Xela said:

Its odd because English managers never get a chance really. Lampard got the Chelsea job by default as they were in a transfer ban. 

If Graham Potter was called Gunter Potertz, he'd have had a bigger job by now. 

Yeah, I get where you are coming from, but they seem to keep bottling it when the do get the chance. 

Hodgson, Hughes, Moyes, etc. They seem to struggle with richer teams with bigger players.

I suppose it could be because few English managers go abroad to coach and gain experience? 

I think Potter is the same even though he's been around. Give him lots of money and some bigger egos or better players and he'll bottle it.