Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

OLE Gunnar allegedly linked with Brighton job.

Should we swoop in before we lose out on yet another gem?

That's one appointment you can absolutely guarantee won't be happening.

Brighton aren't thick.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, thabucks said:

Bayern, Inter and Juve could easily be looking for new managers conceivably before / during the World Cup… It feels like it’s now or never for Pochettino… 

I'm going to go with never... 

Maybe he does rock up at say Leicester or West Ham and we can have a genuine cause for a moan but like you say if he ends up at another top table team he's hardly one that got away 

Knutsen on the other hand could be 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Yes.

Do a better job - yes

Do the job we all want him do - nope 

Not for me, he will make us better but we won't be a top half European challenging team under Rodgers, he'll just get us soundly to the mid table bare minimum position that Gerrard is struggling with (hence better) 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Do a better job - yes

Do the job we all want him do - nope 

Not for me, he will make us better but we won't be a top half European challenging team under Rodgers, he'll just get us soundly to the mid table bare minimum position that Gerrard is struggling with (hence better) 

Maybe not this burned out Rodgers, but I think our squad is about on par with the one that he got to within 1 game of securing top 4 (twice!), an FA Cup and a European semifinal. They were in a worse spot than us when he joined us. But I agree, we shouldn't fall into the trap of "better than Gerrard" because that's a very wide spectrum.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, mrbluesky said:

Brighton have appointed former Sassuolo and Shaktar Donetsk manager Roberto de Zerbi. Know nothing of him but seems like quite an interesting and exciting appointment. Why do I feel like that's the kind of appointment we wouldn't make?

Because our leadership fears interesting and exciting?

18 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

Because our leadership fears interesting and exciting?

No mainly because our leadership is not on a suicide mission. Get a grip folks, if we'd appointed this guy last year we'd have gone into meltdown on here.....

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, mrbluesky said:

Brighton have appointed former Sassuolo and Shaktar Donetsk manager Roberto de Zerbi. Know nothing of him but seems like quite an interesting and exciting appointment. Why do I feel like that's the kind of appointment we wouldn't make?

Because he’s a bloody foreigner?

1 hour ago, mrbluesky said:

Sounds risky as hell to me. I think they will struggle.

Edit: Sounds like he did a excellent job at Sassulo and Shakter though to be fair. 

Also reckon Purslow may prefer English or England based managers for whatever reasons. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

With the stick Gerrard gets for moderate success in a two horse race, some moderate success in a single season in Ukraine is hardly inspiring. He took Sassoulo from 11th to 8th in two seasons, I don't think we've missed out.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sounds risky as hell to me. I think they will struggle.

Edit: Sounds like he did a excellent job at Sassulo and Shakter though to be fair. 

Also reckon Purslow may prefer English or England based managers for whatever reasons. 

He did have a very rough spell at Palermo, too.

16 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

With the stick Gerrard gets for moderate success in a two horse race, some moderate success in a single season in Ukraine is hardly inspiring. He took Sassoulo from 11th to 8th in two seasons, I don't think we've missed out.

Yeah, I do agree with the OP that's he's interesting and exciting, and we're not going to risk it, but in this case, I don't think I'd want us to risk it either. I would love to see us risk going all out to recruit Poch, but I don't believe that would happen in a million years.  

2 hours ago, mrbluesky said:

Surely that is what Gerrard was? Hasn't turned out too well, that one.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mrbluesky said:

I would put this appointment on par with us appointing Gerrard to be honest. It was an interesting appointment at the time. Just way too much of a gamble for our club. I think Brighton can afford to take that gamble. Their manager left against their will, they didn't sack him to move onto bigger and better things. Their expectations are also understandably lower.

• Like 2