Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Explain what, why Pochettino would be an amazing signing? Because he's an exceptional manager, simple as that.

His career win percentages vary, thats not an opinion, its fact....sure they have got better as he has presided over better players.....that is a crucial part of a managers success, getting the right players.

You may ignore, dismiss, or simply don't value win percentages.....thats fine, because it is only a thumb rule guide......but a wide range of sources produce them, so I guess, they don't think they are wasting their time.....in fact, clubs have been known to hire managers on the basis......There are more sophisticated formula's produced, to satisfy the data fetishes......I am not one, so simple guides will do me.

Poch, could be good for us....but nothing is certain and my point is, he has had times where it hasn't been that great, and that could be us.....as hypothetical as it is.

Graham Potter is similar...albeit now out of the equation.

On 15/09/2022 at 14:02, IrishVilla10 said:

If you want to go the win percentage route, which is pointless if you’re not going to consider the circumstances then I can give you a very good example of why it’s not black and white. Eddie Howes win % at Bournemouth in the premier league was 29%, not great but there’s obvious reasons why. His current win percentage with Newcastle is just over 40%. 

Yeah....and this season he has won 1 in 6, the same as SG, but the 4 draws, make it more credible and the better defensive stats, more believable.

Last season, he hadn't won a game, until he bought players in Jan, and they was pragmatic signings that made a difference.

We bought players that made us worse in terms of garnered points.

I have never, suggested it is black and white.....but sometimes we all comment, without huge sophisticated reference, time dictating....you might like to factor that in.

16 hours ago, Sulberto21 said:

Pochettino left a legacy at Southampton - their current playing style is similar to what he instilled albeit hassenhuttel plays with a different formation. 

A few Rangers supporters I know are telling me their football has improved under Van-Bronckhurst . The only legacy Gerrard will leave here is a turgid one. 

Give us the good news already Pochettino you know you want to. 

Koeman and Puel seemed to reign over their best period (2013-2017) since 2017-18  they have languished in the lower section of the league.

Poch was there 18mths played 60 won 23 drawn 18 lost 19......

1 hour ago, TRO said:

His career win percentages vary, thats not an opinion, its fact....sure they have got better as he has presided over better players.....that is a crucial part of a managers success, getting the right players.

You may ignore, dismiss, or simply don't value win percentages.....thats fine, because it is only a thumb rule guide......but a wide range of sources produce them, so I guess, they don't think they are wasting their time.....in fact, clubs have been known to hire managers on the basis......There are more sophisticated formula's produced, to satisfy the data fetishes......I am not one, so simple guides will do me.

Poch, could be good for us....but nothing is certain and my point is, he has had times where it hasn't been that great, and that could be us.....as hypothetical as it is.

Graham Potter is similar...albeit now out of the equation.

It's easy to look at numbers without considering context. Without context, those numbers are meaningless. As a relevant example, Steven Gerrard had a 64% win ratio at Rangers. Without any context, that looks amazing.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

It's easy to look at numbers without considering context. Without context, those numbers are meaningless. As a relevant example, Steven Gerrard had a 64% win ratio at Rangers. Without any context, that looks amazing.

Not great when Alex McLeish had 66 percent 😛

59 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

That's where context comes in. Rangers weren't the force they were in the early 2000's. Win percentages on their own are completely meaningless.

While that could be argued, Celtic still had a superior team

They had Henrik Larsson who was a cheat code

For the next manager i would hope we throw him out the interview if he presents his philosophy and  Plan A style of playing with no real depth to plan b plan c and plan d.  Unless you are at the very top it needs to be different every week . Liverpool play the same week in and week out and even they are starting to get found out , especially if Thiago isnt playing. 

35 minutes ago, Zatman said:

While that could be argued, Celtic still had a superior team

They had Henrik Larsson who was a cheat code

Celtic is only 2 games a year, not going to affect win percentage too much. That's when you look into trophies won etc, there's a huge picture that encompasses way more than 1 silly stat.

43 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

No more apprentices!!

We're not a f**** youth training scheme opportunity for upcoming managers to learn on the job!

That’s exactly what Carragher seems to think we are. More concerning is that SG is now talking as if he’s turned the team around and rescued us from the mess we were in. Conveniently forgetting it was  his mess and we struggled to win a home game against a very poor Southampton. 

I thought the remit is always constant progression. I don’t think it counts if you lower the starting point yourself. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

who is looking at it without context?....thats your assumption.

Win percentages are facts.....some of the context you allude to could be opinions.

I don't think so many sources would produce them, if they were not of reasonable credibility.....of course other criteria has to be factored in and Scotland is a 2 horse race......I haven't mentioned his record in scotland for that reason.

but that could be said, about our top 6.......their win percentages are good, mainly due to having the better quality players.....but you still have to WIN the games, no matter who you are, and what league you are in.