Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

16 hours ago, Keyblade said:

It's easy to look at numbers without considering context. Without context, those numbers are meaningless. As a relevant example, Steven Gerrard had a 64% win ratio at Rangers. Without any context, that looks amazing.

I think management without measurement is woolly.

What we need is a manager that can adapt on the fly.

Identify issues we have on the pitch and shuffle things about in an effort to sort it.

I don't demand it must always work, but I do demand that he always tries. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

We are far from well run at the moment

Yes and no. Some parts are very well managed, our financial status for example. Some others are not, manager appointments seems to be a bit of a weak area. 😅

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

We are very well run too. Brighton are simply flavour of the month.

Hmm I disagree. Brighton will be well run for a long time and will continue to progress on an upward trajectory.

Hopefully same for Villa.

• Like 1

Allegri position isn’t looking too comfortable and  that’s the worry by delaying the sad inevitability of sticking with Gerrard - Poch and others won’t wait around and next few weeks could be pivotal for NSWE ownership and our short term future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

We are very well run too. Brighton are simply flavour of the month.

Where Brighton did very well was getting Paul Barber, a very smart guy and previously a very good Premier League CEO, to go there in the Championship and build over time. They got lucky because he wanted a move back from MLS, but it’s been long-term growth over many years, not flavour of the month. Now of course we also appointed a former PL CEO in the Championship - let’s hope long-term it also works out really well. I am very disappointed with a few things in the last year but overall I agree with you we have been well run since the new ownership came in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Gerrard would suit the Brighton job, although I am being nice.

I know Poch may not be destined to come here, but if he goes somewhere else and we still have this incumbent in charge I'm gonna be so pissed!!!!!

This is the trouble because everyone assumes if we miss out on Poch to keep Gerrard it is a missed opportunity. But it’s very likely Poch has not interest in coming here. We will never know if that is the case or not. 

Edited by villaglint

20 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

Where Brighton did very well was getting Paul Barber, a very smart guy and previously a very good Premier League CEO, to go there in the Championship and build over time. They got lucky because he wanted a move back from MLS, but it’s been long-term growth over many years, not flavour of the month. Now of course we also appointed a former PL CEO in the Championship - let’s hope long-term it also works out really well. I am very disappointed with a few things in the last year but overall I agree with you we have been well run since the new ownership came in.

I appreciate the measured reply - I think my flavour comment is more aimed at how people unfairly compare Gerrard and Potter's time at the club. I like Brighton, and like Brentford, their recruitment models are something I've always wanted us to incorporate. I just think if Rory Wilson was from Argentina our recruitment would get more props. And I hope we can learn from the likes of Brighton that when Gerrard is gone we can still have the structures we have in place and not just jettison short term financial stuff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Gerrard would suit the Brighton job, although I am being nice.

I know Poch may not be destined to come here, but if he goes somewhere else and we still have this incumbent in charge I'm gonna be so pissed!!!!!

Seen nothing to suggest Gerrard gets a tune out of a team like Brighton, he needs money spent in every position. He would take them down 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Massive investment in the stadium, community, youth players. The board are incredibly serious about moving forward.

I think they're very serious about running us as a successful business. Hopefully that'll mean a successful football club on the pitch as well, but at the moment we are handicapping ourselves in that area with an under qualified manager. 

45 minutes ago, picicata said:

I think they're very serious about running us as a successful business. Hopefully that'll mean a successful football club on the pitch as well, but at the moment we are handicapping ourselves in that area with an under qualified manager. 

I think NSWE are getting most things right to make us a successful football business. Investment in infrastructure at BMH, investment in youth and plans to increase the capacity of VP with a big waiting list for season tickets. The problem is the product at the moment isn’t good enough.

This is not a business that is judged on the P&L account, important though that may be. A club of our stature will always be judged by our ability to be competitive at the sharp in both the PL and the cups. It’s not a business where we can decide to make more of a cheaper product to make our money. The quality of the product is always paramount.  We’re competing against Mercedes, BMW, Jag, Land Rover but we’re knocking out Skodas. The head of design needs to be replaced or the CEO will be under huge pressure from the board if the design doesn’t quickly improve one way or the other.