Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

I cant believe how many people are saying something along the lines of "give him more time" or "as least give him untill November". Every year many managers get sacked, ALMOST all of them were "given a bit of time to turn it around". Very few actually do turn it around, and almost none end up taking the club on to achieve great things. Usually, when a failing manager is replaced, by then the club is already in the bottom third or quarter of the table, in fact by Xmas, the fans of the bottom 5 clubs are nearly always screaming for a new manager. If thats where Villa are placed, how are we going to attract a top class manager if his first job is surviving relegation. The sensible thing is to make the job appealing, give a new manager enough time to achieve something this season, if SG had the ability to achieve something we would have seen some glimpse of it by now and we havn't.

• Like 4

41 minutes ago, Xela said:

If Graham Potter was called Gunter Potertz, he'd have had a bigger job by now. 

I like Graham Potter, but think this is complete rubbish. He did very well in Switzerland in a pretty low profile job, followed by a year at Swansea and a few years at Brighton being 'comfortable'. No foreign coach would be able to get a much better job based on that CV.

He needs to take a risk and leave Brighton to go to a level of club that would already hire him (us/Everton/Newcastle) and prove himself there before clubs higher up the league would take a chance.

Arteta, the foreign equivalent of Lampard with links to a high profile club, actually coached at the highest level before being given the chance.

I think I have more patience than a lot of fans, it took me longer than most to want Bruce out, though obviously the latter stages of his tenure was very poor and he did himself no favours by the end.

I wasn't convinced by Smith on his appointment (knew little about him) but I grew to really like him and he did a terrific job here - had his faults (doesn't everyone) but I was upset to see him sacked even though results weren't good enough.

I was happy with Gerrard's appointment, at the time I was pleased with either him or Graham Potter. I felt he really talks the talk and his winning mentality, I felt, is what the club really needed. I'd rate his time her so far about 5/10. Good signings, but odd team selections, and more negative performances than positive.

Do I think he should be sacked ? 

No, not yet, I think he should be given till January and re-assess then - but as I've said I'm more lenient than most.

The Bournemouth team selection, performance & result has really hit me and my confidence in SG, I really hope to see a different Villa against The Toffees. 

As for a potential new manager - Poch all day! I hope we're doing some things in the background in case it doesn't improve under SG. I personally think he's attainable! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Podster said:

You speak as though SG has just been appointed, we got 9 points out of the last 36. As for honor and integrity,  if Kolpp got the sack, or for any imaginable reason left the Pool, Stevie would be banging on the door shouting "gis a job", and, do you seriously think if he did get the offer to go to Liverpool he would say no thanks I have to do the honorable thing and stay as Villa.

No, I realise that. But it's less than a year and he's done ... OK. It's the first match of the season. I would grant that every consecutive loss at the beginning of the season counts for about three loses in the rest of the season. If he loses the next two or three, I'll probably feel differently. Opening season losses against low-rated clubs also feel completely bonkers-bad compared to losses mid-season after winning streaks, right? I think we have to account for that special emotional impact, too. It's Bournemouth, too. There's a whiff of insult here. It's natural that we feel mortified and want to point fingers, but it may have been a very useful and needed slap to attention to deal with weak spots and illusory ideas.

Wake-up call for the sea lion ...
giphy.gif 

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Podster said:

I cant believe how many people are saying something along the lines of "give him more time" or "as least give him untill November". Every year many managers get sacked, ALMOST all of them were "given a bit of time to turn it around". Very few actually do turn it around, and almost none end up taking the club on to achieve great things. Usually, when a failing manager is replaced, by then the club is already in the bottom third or quarter of the table, in fact by Xmas, the fans of the bottom 5 clubs are nearly always screaming for a new manager. If thats where Villa are placed, how are we going to attract a top class manager if his first job is surviving relegation. The sensible thing is to make the job appealing, give a new manager enough time to achieve something this season, if SG had the ability to achieve something we would have seen some glimpse of it by now and we havn't.

I don't think this is true. Just a few off the top of my head from the previous few seasons: Potter, Arteta, Moyes. I'm barely trying, so I imagine there will be more.

Then there's our own Dean Smith back in the promotion season. Plenty of people wanted him sacked as a 'failing manager'.

5 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I think I have more patience than a lot of fans, it took me longer than most to want Bruce out, though obviously the latter stages of his tenure was very poor and he did himself no favours by the end.

I wasn't convinced by Smith on his appointment (knew little about him) but I grew to really like him and he did a terrific job here - had his faults (doesn't everyone) but I was upset to see him sacked even though results weren't good enough.

I was happy with Gerrard's appointment, at the time I was pleased with either him or Graham Potter. I felt he really talks the talk and his winning mentality, I felt, is what the club really needed. I'd rate his time her so far about 5/10. Good signings, but odd team selections, and more negative performances than positive.

Do I think he should be sacked ? 

No, not yet, I think he should be given till January and re-assess then - but as I've said I'm more lenient than most.

The Bournemouth team selection, performance & result has really hit me and my confidence in SG, I really hope to see a different Villa against The Toffees. 

As for a potential new manager - Poch all day! I hope we're doing some things in the background in case it doesn't improve under SG. I personally think he's attainable! 

I can't understand how you can say that, you are contradicting your own reasoning, you give all the reasons why SG is useless, but then say "give him till January" We need to stop being soft, I have said this in a previous post "give a new manager enough time to achieve something this season, if SG had the ability to achieve something we would have seen some glimpse of it by now and we havn't." give him 5 games at best.

• "

10 minutes ago, Marka Ragnos said:

No, I realise that. But it's less than a year and he's done ... OK. It's the first match of the season. I would grant that every consecutive loss at the beginning of the season counts for about three loses in the rest of the season. If he loses the next two or three, I'll probably feel differently. Opening season losses against low-rated clubs also feel completely bonkers-bad compared to losses mid-season after winning streaks, right? I think we have to account for that special emotional impact, too. It's Bournemouth, too. There's a whiff of insult here. It's natural that we feel mortified and want to point fingers, but it may have been a very useful and needed slap to attention to deal with weak spots and illusory ideas.

Wake-up call for the sea lion ...
giphy.gif 

I didn't read your post as I got distracted by the gif.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

I didn't read your post as I got distracted by the gif.

I would have done the same. Besides, the gif tells the whole story of The Bournemouth Affair, as it is now known across the globe, in every last detail. If you analyse and chart the movements of the sea lion, you will see a moment-to-moment graphic of our midfield's efforts and the thinking behind them. And yes, while the penguin may step lively, he is on the way to being relegated this year.

Edited by Marka Ragnos
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Podster said:

I can't understand how you can say that, you are contradicting your own reasoning, you give all the reasons why SG is useless, but then say "give him till January" We need to stop being soft, I have said this in a previous post "give a new manager enough time to achieve something this season, if SG had the ability to achieve something we would have seen some glimpse of it by now and we havn't." give him 5 games at best.

• "

I know what you're saying. I think I am just more lenient in giving managers a bit more time than others. Not saying this is right though. I suppose I am just hoping that he will learn fast from his mistakes and turn things around. Starting with the Everton game. The players also need to take some responsibility too. 

• Like 1

I’d like Potter. Villa fan (I think) and he’s got every team he’s managed to play good football.

Then again, same could have been said of Smith and whilst he did a lot of great things here he never quite managed to get us playing well consistently.

Can't be bothered to go check me facts but is it not the case that SG's record last season, if repeated through the whole season had us top half of the table? Why then this season is anyone expecting to achieve a worse result than that after we've made some top signings? Is this not all really just a case of extreme impatience on the back of a disappointing first game?

12 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I’d like Potter. Villa fan (I think) and he’s got every team he’s managed to play good football.

Then again, same could have been said of Smith and whilst he did a lot of great things here he never quite managed to get us playing well consistently.

He have said in interviews that he was a Villa fan in his youth. Any new manager is a risk, but at least with a new manager we can start dreaming of some sort of success. Now it’s a given that we field a lot of players, that should have been on the bench, with a formation that we don’t have the right player for, with no plan on how to break down the opposition. At least we have Aston Villa Women to entertain us until November or whenever the people in charge see the light.

1 minute ago, Jareth said:

Can't be bothered to go check me facts but is it not the case that SG's record last season, if repeated through the whole season had us top half of the table? Why then this season is anyone expecting to achieve a worse result than that after we've made some top signings? Is this not all really just a case of extreme impatience on the back of a disappointing first game?

Because the form throughout 2022 has been poor, which continued day one this season.  We just look lost on the field.  We have some top players on paper but SG isn’t getting them looking like top players on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Some people here will tell you it’s relegation form, others will tell you it’s top of the table form.

The reality is this:

Smith got us 10 pts from 11 games. We finished on 45 points so 35 pts from remaining 27 games ~ 1.3 ppg. Extrapolate that out over a season and you get 49 points. For example, that gets you 11th last season. I won’t go into good start, recent form and so on. However, you are free to interpret that info as you wish. 

16 minutes ago, Jareth said:

It was good for first two months. We won 4 out of Gerrard's first 6 games.

All gone wrong since that break we've had after Everton away and then being 3-1 up v Leeds but not winning.

From that game we've won 5 in 17 so we'd certainly struggle to be top half if we had that ratio for start of this season as that would leave us on barely 20 points after nearly half a season.

2 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It was good for first two months. We won 4 out of Gerrard's first 6 games.

All gone wrong since that break we've had after Everton away and then being 3-1 up v Leeds but not winning.

From that game we've won 5 in 17 so we'd certainly struggle to be top half if we had that ratio for start of this season as that would leave us on barely 20 points after nearly half a season.

the honeymoon period which followed was coincided with the treatment of Targett and the signing of Coutinho when Buendia was hitting form