Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

19 minutes ago, useless said:

This thread has run it's course, he will be nowhere near to getting the sack, he's just been allowed to sign six players or whatever it is, we're probably in the process of signing more, or at least trying to, whether people like it or not, we've just paid Blackpool a seven figure sum for Critchley, a coach who hasn't even had much chance to work with the team yet, we've only lost one game, it's not like he's at the stage whereby if we lose another two he will suddenly be fired, it will take a longer run of bad form than that, and as dramatic as people like to be, we most probably won't be bad enough over the next six or so games for him to lose his job, we have enough winnable games for him to at least do enough, and I know will say something like we couldn't even beat Bournemouth, but football obviously doesn't work like that, in the same way if we had beat Man City on the first day it wouldn't mean we were suddenly going to win every game.

Also people saying it's not about one game, well before Bournemouth hardly anyone was talking about him getting the sack, now people talking as if it's on the verge happening, when it's not, it could happen if we go on a disatrous run over the next six or so games, but could say that about most managers.

He was given the benefit of the doubt by most who were on the fence, and most assumed after pre season and a few key signing we would kick on. Yes it was only one game, but it was hands down the worst performance I’ve seen yet under SG, nothing has changed, so people are quickly turning. Add to the fact the whole Mings thing, McGinn, Sanson SM posts, benching Buendia. He’s losing support fast, and losing the dressing room it seems.

Edited by duke313
  • Like 1

It doesn't really matter what people on here say or think, the club aren't going to sack him after one game, not even when taking last season's form into account, it's not even as if last season's form was that bad, only the top six, Leicester and Newcastle took more points than us since Gerrard came in last season. of course if we're as bad as we were against Bournemouth over the next five or six games then something might happen, but we can worry about that and the consequences if it does actually happen.

As it stands I doubt the club are even close to thinking about sacking him, we're just another team that's lost their first game of the season.

This thread will probably disappear of it's own accord, if we sign a new player and the reality sinks in that that wouldn't be happening if we were thinking of making a change, or if we beat Everton.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Villastine said:

Gerrard not on the verge of sacking so the thread is pointless. 

We don’t know that do we!  We haven’t spent a great deal in the summer, Gerrard hasn’t got the CM he has talked about for the last six weeks and our results in 2022 and especially towards the end of the season may have put doubts in the hierarchies minds.  Nothing was going to happen then but with the disaster of the weekend, maybe doubts in their minds and they are on a watching brief over the coming few games because it’s not just about the results, the play on the pitch looks lost and no cohesion.  

They are seeing the same as us and it’s not pretty.  I’m not saying he’s getting sacked this week but the coming games over the next short period, he maybe being reviewed a lot closer than you are thinking.  It also depends if there is a candidate out there they like that would come in to replace him.

Edited by nick76

1 minute ago, useless said:

It doesn't really matter what people on here say or think, the club aren't going to sack him after one game, not even when taking last season's form into account, it's not even as if last season's form was that bad, only the top six, Leicester and Newcastle took more points than us since Gerrard came in last season. of course if we're as bad as we were against Bournemouth over the next five or six games then something might happen, but we can worry about that and the consequences if it does actually happen.

As it stands I doubt the club are even close to thinking about sacking him, we're just another team that's lost their first game of the season.

This thread will probably disappear of it's own accord, if we sign a new player and the reality sinks in that that wouldn't be happening if we were thinking of making a change, or if we beat Everton.

No one is suggesting sacking him after one game. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Do you think it's worth persisting with him until the hypothetical point where his brand of football clicks? Again, what indications have you seen that this is even possible? This seems incredibly risky, especially considering we'll need to get rid of even more players to make this happen. We sacked Smith because we needed someone who could get more out of this group, not rip it up to implement some unproven style.

Also, I thought we were supposed to have a unified style of play independent of the manager? One where if you sacked a head coach and replaced him with another, they would be able to pick up right where the previous left off and hopefully improve. What I'm hearing is that this particular fellow is special though and needs his own special players for his special brand of football, and we need to uproot this structure for him despite having no indications that this could work. I didn't realize an SPL title win was so valuable to be honest.

I think it’s worth persisting. The only things the guy has failed at in his extremely decorated professional career have been winning the domestic league and winning with England. He’s been the definition of a model pro all his career with the hallmark being the grit and tenacity to deliver at the most important moments. You don’t lose that. 

Most of his previous managers have spoken extremely highly of him as a bloke as far as I’m aware and it’s just not logical to question his tactical ability considering what he has achieved in the game.

What he is though is extremely stubborn and he doesn’t suffer fools gladly which may explain some of the issues in the squad. However, Gerrard strikes me as an old school kind of pro. I’m sure whatever he has said to the media he has said umpteen times to the players in private.

As to one of the previous posts about good players being jettisoned …. I think if we’re all being unemotional and take a step back there are very few players that we have that were signed pre Gerrard that might be on the chopping block (Mings, Sanson, Traore etc) that would start regularly for any of the teams that are aspiring for top ten in the league. 

If we sacked him and appointed Pochettino I wouldn’t be bothered but that doesn’t feel particularly realistic.

Purslow’s already out on a limb here so I can’t see him sacking him unless things get really bad which means the only alternative is to back him very significantly to the end of this window in terms of both ins and outs. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, duke313 said:

No one is suggesting sacking him after one game. 

I agree, all we are saying is that the hierarchy will be concerned and he’s needs to turn it around quickly.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

He’s been the definition of a model pro all his career

He got arrested on a night out for lamping a DJ who wouldn't play his request. I mean, a model pro would not do that. In the same way Jack isn't a model pro for his off the pitch behaviour, I think the same applies here. Also the getting sent off after 30 seconds thing... 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, DakotaVilla said:

Most of his previous managers have spoken extremely highly of him as a bloke as far as I’m aware and it’s just not logical to question his tactical ability considering what he has achieved in the game.

One is as a player, the other is as a manager, it’s very very different

Just wanted to point that out.  Being good at something as a player is very different to doing it from a different angle as a manager as proven with so many elite players failing as managers.  There are many elite footballers that become great managers but just as many, probably more that fail, to show it is not an indicator of definite success.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I agree, all we are saying is that the hierarchy will be concerned and he’s needs to turn it around quickly.

There's pretty much always an abundance of concern here. The hierarchy are probably a little more icy than a lot of us itt.

Bournemouth was a classic banana skid. Lets take a couple of breaths and wait a few games before getting the pitchforks out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

One is as a player, the other is as a manager, it’s very very different

Just wanted to point that out.  Being good at something as a player is very different to doing it from a different angle as a manager as proven with so many elite players failing as managers.  There are many elite footballers that become great managers but just as many, probably more that fail, to show it is not an indicator of definite success.

That’s a very fair point but he has demonstrated managerial success at a lower level at rangers - no matter how much people try to denigrate that achievement. 

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

There's pretty much always an abundance of concern here. The hierarchy are probably a little more icy than a lot of us itt.

Bournemouth was a classic banana skid. Lets take a couple of breaths and wait a few games before getting the pitchforks out.

The result wasn’t the only issue, it’s also the performance, and his manner in the post match interview.

I don’t think this thread would exist if we had lost but played well.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, osmark86 said:

That works both ways though that they cut Gerrard quicker because they don’t have the emotional attachment as some of fans do.  If they believe it’s not working and have a better option, as business people, they will make that decision.  So to your point it works both ways.

Just now, duke313 said:

The result wasn’t the only issue, it’s also the performance, and his manner in the post match interview.

Yeah but it's just one game. I'm not too worried or fussed, we'll likely be fine.

If this continues over say 10 games, then yeah, probably need to axe the manager.

I think it's the combination of the bad loss, change of captaincy and the mistreatment of Mings (and maybe Traore/Guilbert/El Ghazi to a lesser extent) that has opened this thread. The loss/performance alone was bad but many probably would have gave him the benefit of the doubt to turn it around but the other things have got people on edge as these are the sorts of thing that can result in losing the dressing room and once that happened, its hard to come back from.

4 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

The pitchforks were out from many due to concerns on how we played last season and also preseason.  Now preseason I didn’t care too much about but seeing us have the same problems as last season in the opening game is a major concern. However we’ve seen other teams start very poorly and then eventually seem to click and get a bit of form. Arsenal being the perfect example from last season, they looked pretty shocking first 3 games.

It may just be Gerrard just isn’t a good enough manager and if that’s the case he’ll eventually lose his job.   We’re obliged to support him and the team in the meantime in my opinion.  Really need a positive atmosphere on Saturday. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I didn’t see anything wrong with it. He said it was on him.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

That works both ways though that they cut Gerrard quicker because they don’t have the emotional attachment as some of fans do.  If they believe it’s not working and have a better option, as business people, they will make that decision.  So to your point it works both ways.

Sure. And I don't believe there's a need for uprooting things right now even if we take emotions out of the cocktail. Ofc they'll make that decision if they have a better candidate lined up and we are not performing over time.

I just don't think they're dedicating a horde of resources into that right now.

4 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Yeah but it's just one game. I'm not too worried or fussed, we'll likely be fine.

If this continues over say 10 games, then yeah, probably need to axe the manager.

2 wins in the last 12 premier league games is not ‘fine’ in my opinion.

Nothing has changed on the pitch, and he has seemingly alienated several players while continually picking players who don’t play well.

He’s out of his depth, he might not be sacked after 1 game, but he will be sacked. 

3 minutes ago, osmark86 said:

Sure. And I don't believe there's a need for uprooting things right now even if we take emotions out of the cocktail. Ofc they'll make that decision if they have a better candidate lined up and we are not performing over time.

I just don't think they're dedicating a horde of resources into that right now.

Uprooting? Given the 2022 form all the way into the first game of this season, if they see that continue over the coming games, I think they’ll have no fear of uprooting because if it isn’t working they’ll make a change.  No point staying ‘rooted’ if it isn’t working.

They are top business men, I bet they are working in the background in case a change has to be made, it’s just good business preparation.  We also saw that previously with Gerrard coming in after Smith’s struggling in the second half of 20/21 season after a magnificent start to the season before that Christmas.  

The second half of the season we were poor and followed into the start of the 21/22 where he was cut after 11 games.  There is no way they moved for Gerrard only after Smith was sacked, that had been in the works for a reasonable period before that.  

There are some similarities here with Gerrard with a poor 2022 form, a start to 22/23 season, I bet if it continues, there will be work going on in the background to prepare for a change if needed.

It’s not as if it’s one bad game, it continuing the poor 2022 form and they will expect a change in performance this season and it didn’t start well.  It will all be down to how it continues but one thing is for sure, these owners don’t operate unprepared.

• Like 1