Next Aston Villa manager

messi11

New Manager Poll  

380 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your pick for new Villa boss?

As far as I can see,all he has done so far is play his favourite players ( irrespective of form ) split the dressing room and TALk a great game/tactic/explination etc etc.I dont actually see any of this on the field.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Pinebro said:

If you go by that logic Newcastle will finish 3rd. 

I don't good sir. It's what all the Brexiteers who insisted Gerrard was the man kept saying.

When the evidence staring us in the face was that we were awful.

• Like 1

For me it’s all this talk of a Steven Gerrard Aston Villa, he even talks it himself. Deano didn’t talk like that, for him it was all about performances, even repeated it in his Norwich presser (saw a clip whilst watching AJ’s interview). With good performances come wins. 

Gerrard talks the talk and I’ve been impressive with this side of things but it seems to be all about him and ‘his’ Aston Villa.

I also think we may act depending on what his successors suitors are, if Poch is available now but not in 3 weeks due to another offer it might force our hand a little in order to get in the best replacement. 

3 hours ago, dubbs said:

I think Arteta is slowly getting it right, they do look a good side this season tbf. Will take time but heading in the right direction. Hopefully SG works out similarly.

The difference between Arteta and Gerrard is, you could see what Arteta was trying to do, with Gerrard he is still trying to push a flawed system 

3 hours ago, useless said:

It doesn't really matter what people on here say or think, the club aren't going to sack him after one game, not even when taking last season's form into account, it's not even as if last season's form was that bad, only the top six, Leicester and Newcastle took more points than us since Gerrard came in last season. of course if we're as bad as we were against Bournemouth over the next five or six games then something might happen, but we can worry about that and the consequences if it does actually happen.

As it stands I doubt the club are even close to thinking about sacking him, we're just another team that's lost their first game of the season.

This thread will probably disappear of it's own accord, if we sign a new player and the reality sinks in that that wouldn't be happening if we were thinking of making a change, or if we beat Everton.

I think 0 points from 5 and this thread will be up to a significant number of pages 

• Like 1

I think that the most obvious replacement for Gerrard would be Kasper Hjulmand.

He probably will not be Denmark manager after the World Cup, and will be looking to take a job at a club instead. He has worked together with Lange for many years, and I think Lange respects him very much.

In my opinion (as a Dane) he has every attribute to become a top coach. He is modern leader who speaks incredibly well, and a person that everyone likes. Furthermore, he has shown himself to be tactically great, and getting very much out of the current Denmark squad. He is a man with very clear ideas of how he wants to play (something we are missing). However, he has also shown that he can change games though being very tactically flexible (changing from back 5 to back 4 and the other way around multiple times a game for example.)

However, it will also be Lange putting himself on the line, since if it does not work out he might be going with him.

That, at least, would be my pick.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

What makes you think Potter and Arteta couldn't make us great again, assuming they get continued backing of course?

I dont think they are bad managers, but a lot of questions were asked of Arteta even by his own fans, and it took him a long time to start to get it right, too long in my view given the recources he had, also he has very little depth of experiance. The difference between managing Brighton and Villa is massive.  I dont want to see Villa take another punt on who they pick and Potter has never never managed a club that carries the same preassure that the Villa job would have, again a good manager but un tested at a big club no depth of exreriance under that type of preassure. I also wonder if he could draw in big name players the same way Pooch could. I want our great club to do the sensible thing, take no chances, get a proven TOP mannager in, Pooch wont be available for long, and he certainly wont still be available after the world cup break.

6 hours ago, duke313 said:

Gerrard will be nowhere near the Liverpool job, they’ll have the pick of any elite manager in the world after Klopp leaves.

Yes, good point, I agree

Edited by Podster

57 minutes ago, Muriel said:

I think that the most obvious replacement for Gerrard would be Kasper Hjulmand.

Obvious? I’ve never heard of the guy. Not sure we’d be taking such a risk on an unknown after Gerrard 

Obvious may be a wrong word :) Likely is probably better - I really think there is something in the Hjulmand-Lange link though. He was linked when Gerrard got hired as well, but just came too soon for him before the world cup. Has way more experience as a coach compared to Gerrard for example.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Muriel said:

Obvious may be a wrong word :) Likely is probably better - I really think there is something in the Hjulmand-Lange link though. He was linked when Gerrard got hired as well, but just came too soon for him before the world cup. Has way more experience as a coach compared to Gerrard for example.

Maybe but is he really the manager to take Villa to the next level or a huge risk? Definitely leans to the latter.

Just read his profile, not exactly impressed.  Only coached outside of Scandinavia once where he was sacked quite quickly at Mainz. His winning % isn’t great either and now recently with Denmark it looks better in his 32 games but I don’t know who they are against.  His club record is average at best.  I don’t think he’s got a chance of the Villa job on paper.

2 hours ago, macandally said:

The difference between Arteta and Gerrard is, you could see what Arteta was trying to do, with Gerrard he is still trying to push a flawed system 

People were saying the same thing about Arteta 12 months ago.

• Like 1

Why do people keep questioning whether Purslow might sack Gerrard or not? He'll be lucky to keep his own job at this rate. If the owners want Gerrard out, after considering his pitiable stats, performances and the low team morale, that's exactly what will happen regardless.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Arteta has been mentored by Pep. Gerrard has recruited others who are supposedly carrying out the bulk of the training and tactics etc for him… really beginning to think he doesn’t quite know what he is doing, especially now that Beale has gone. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dubbs said:

Were they? I watched Arsenal a fair bit and you could always see what they were trying to achieve. Quick movement in and around the box, speed etc. 

We look completely directionless and have done for the longest time

• Like 2