Pre match

Demitri_C

I’m always interested in these sort of situations when you have a temporary guy in charge and wonder what is the mindset when you know that you’ve only got the gig for potentially 1/2 games. 

Does you go with what failed the former manager? If so there’s no really upside for you. If you lose it’s because the team were crap (hence the sacking) I you win the players are just trying to impress the new guy. 

Or instead do you think sod it, I’m putting a completely different stamp on it?

Just for argument’s sake, if tomorrow he played a different system, let’s say 4-2-3-1 and starts Guilbert, Sanson, Acher etc, and then goes on to win the game, people might start think ‘actually this bloke knows his sh#t. 

I just find it interesting, it’s almost a no lose situation. 

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

so is there to be no press conference? if only to go over squad fitness and whatnot?

I think it was said that the pre Fulham conference would cover both games. Then yesterday Danks did a little interview on Villa Tv where he looked really tired and red eyed and like a man who’d seen all his mates sacked and was holding on to his own job by the skin of his teeth.

53 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

We could win this game and still average below a point per game.

This is how badly Gerrard has left us.

Let's not forget the players in all that too. They need to remember the status of the club they represent. At least tomorrow they won't have a manager to hide behind.

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

When did we last actually beat Brentford? 1 point from the games last season and of course infamously we couldn't beat them at any point in the championship.

I presume we have to go back to early 70s when we went down to third division.

February 4th, 1953 in a 4th round replay of the FA Cup

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Villa87 said:

I’d go:

Emi

Cash Chambers Mings Young

Dendonker

Luiz Sanson

Buendia Ings Coutinho 

Put Archer instead of Ings and I think the crowd would get behind that when announced at 1.58pm.

It would at least show we're attempting to try something different and actually starting players who really should've played much more this season considering what the first choices are producing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, av1 said:

I’m always interested in these sort of situations when you have a temporary guy in charge and wonder what is the mindset when you know that you’ve only got the gig for potentially 1/2 games. 

Does you go with what failed the former manager? If so there’s no really upside for you. If you lose it’s because the team were crap (hence the sacking) I you win the players are just trying to impress the new guy. 

Or instead do you think sod it, I’m putting a completely different stamp on it?

Just for argument’s sake, if tomorrow he played a different system, let’s say 4-2-3-1 and starts Guilbert, Sanson, Acher etc, and then goes on to win the game, people might start think ‘actually this bloke knows his sh#t. 

I just find it interesting, it’s almost a no lose situation. 

If it was me in charge I would go all out attack and try and score some goals. The players might actually enjoy themselves and play well. I’d would doing anything but follow the Stevie G way. 

2 hours ago, May-Z said:

Could be quite a good way to reintroduce players into the said again. 

If Sanson and Guilbert make the bench, for example, it means they could be back onside very quickly. Even moreso if they get a bit of time in the game. 

I'd be tempted to make sure it happened, especially with Sanson. We've got to be able to use our assets instead of them rotting away.

I think that Lange should insist that all of the club’s players are brought back into the fold - the bombsquad is Gerrard’s doing. These players are assets of the club so they should be maximising their value.

• Like 4

Very interesting in what Michael Beale had to say about SG' departure. Seemed to be having a dig at the recruitment process, and he may well have a valid point. 

In terms of playing personnel, we really do look out of shape, hence the lack of cohesion on the pitch. 

• Like 1

According to a Telegraph article (link posted in the McGinn thread), both JJ and McGinn are being dropped tomorrow.

So...4-2-3-1 with Doug and Donck? 4-3-3 with Doug, Donck, and Sanson? I can't wait to find out.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow more than I've looked forward to any match since August.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, TomC said:

According to a Telegraph article (link posted in the McGinn thread), both JJ and McGinn are being dropped tomorrow.

So...4-2-3-1 with Doug and Donck? 4-3-3 with Doug, Donck, and Sanson? I can't wait to find out.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow more than I've looked forward to any match since August.

this is the first time i've looked forward to a game all season.

danks, you're alright in my book...so far anyway!