Pre match

Demitri_C

Will be interesting to see how much Danks deviates from the norm.

If he immediately switches formation and brings in somebody from the cold it will be quite telling as to what Gerrard was pushing onto his staff.

I can't see us sticking with what's gone before...so I predict a change to 4231 but with personel largely the same.

Martinez

Cash Konsa Mings Young

Luiz McGinn

Bailey Buendia(or Coutinho) Watkins

Ings

Not exactly what I'd do, but it's what I think we'll see.

(Maybe Ramsey wide left with Watkins up top instead of Ings.)

Has a 0-0 feel to me.

When did we last actually beat Brentford? 1 point from the games last season and of course infamously we couldn't beat them at any point in the championship.

I presume we have to go back to early 70s when we went down to third division.

They're a decent team but not like their away form is amazing, drew 0-0 at Bournemouth and lost 5-1 at Newcastle in their recent outings. Also lost at Fulham although less ingloriously than we did.

That said they'll be fancying their chances with us in a state of flux.

17 hours ago, tomav84 said:

anyone else feeling just a teeny bit optimistic about this game now? just a little...not getting too carried away

Im thinking 1-1,but if we score first it will give the players such a lift that we could win 3-0

Super interesting to see how and who we play. Great time to bring in some players out of the cold but perhaps too big of a change for an interim.

4-2-3-1 seems a no brainer though. Pick 2 from Luiz, Dendoncker, Nakamba, Sanson for midfield. The tough call is can you drop McGinn as the interim since he is captain. He just doesn’t really fit in that formation as he would need to play forward and I don’t think he is better then the players we have available. I wouldn’t really want a 2 of Luiz and McGinn.

one thing that is nice...i never would want villa to lose. ever. BUT, there were moments this season, for example the equaliser against forest, where there was a tiny piece of disappointment that gerrard stays in a job a wee while longer.

tomorrow is the first game since bournemouth where there's no gerrard sub plot, and can just enjoy the game, wanting villa to win 100%. rather than there being like 95% wanting a win & 5% not minding if we lose

• Like 2

4-2-3-1

-----------------------------Martinez-------------------------------

Cash-----------Konsa-------------Mings------------Young

----------------Dendoncker---------Luiz-----------------------

Buendia-----------------McGinn------------------Coutinho

------------------------------Watkins--------------------------------

Maybe Ramsey for McGinn or Bailey in for Buendia depending on whether we want pace.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

4-2-3-1

-----------------------------Martinez-------------------------------

Cash-----------Konsa-------------Mings------------Young

----------------Dendoncker---------Luiz-----------------------

Buendia-----------------McGinn------------------Coutinho

------------------------------Watkins--------------------------------

Maybe Ramsey for McGinn or Bailey in for Buendia depending on whether we want pace.

I'd go Buendia right, Coutinho 10, Ramsey wide left.

1 minute ago, Tomaszk said:

I'd go Buendia right, Coutinho 10, Ramsey wide left.

I don't think Ramsey is natural in a wider role - I think he has to be playing at the ten - part of our problem is that we've got loads of players who are natural in the same position and then massive gaps where we've hardly got anyone.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think Ramsey is natural in a wider role - I think he has to be playing at the ten - part of our problem is that we've got loads of players who are natural in the same position and then massive gaps where we've hardly got anyone.

Agreed he isn't natural out there, I think he gets lost in games in general sometimes. He'll learn.

Very simple directions for the lad...Go and stand on that wing and when you get the ball, I want us 40 yards further forwards before you pass it off. 

Could be quite a good way to reintroduce players into the said again. 

If Sanson and Guilbert make the bench, for example, it means they could be back onside very quickly. Even moreso if they get a bit of time in the game. 

I'd be tempted to make sure it happened, especially with Sanson. We've got to be able to use our assets instead of them rotting away.

3 minutes ago, May-Z said:

If Sanson and Guilbert make the bench, for example, it means they could be back onside very quickly. Even moreso if they get a bit of time in the game. 

I'd be tempted to make sure it happened, especially with Sanson. We've got to be able to use our assets instead of them rotting away.

Sanson has been on the bench most games.

If Danks names the Luiz - Ramsey - McGinn midfield at 1pm I'd relieve him of his duties before kick off ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

21 minutes ago, May-Z said:

I don't think Guilbert was given a place in the squad.