A Full English Breakfast

villa4europe

1 hour ago, Risso said:

I love America and most of the people I’ve met there. It’s a wonderful country, and I’d have no problem living there at all. However there are two small [big] problems. No 1) Their cheese No 2) Their bacon. We’ll leave number one for now as it’s not really relevant to a thread about breakfast, but their bacon, oh my god, unremittingly shit, no matter where you go. I’ve been right off the beaten track in the States, and had some fantastic steak, craft beer, seafood, wine, fruit, vegetables etc etc, but I’ve never once had anything remotely passable in the bacon department. How can they consistently be so bad at it? You’d think that even one producer being good would see them dominate the market and make a gazillion quid, but no, it all looks it’s made of play-doh and tastes even worse than that.

It's not "our" bacon. It's the pig's! 😄 YOU can slaughter a British pig and use its pork belly, and you'll have "streaky bacon" in Birmingham, too. We actually do "have" a kind of bacon in America that's similar to British back cuts -- Canadian bacon, although English rashers are much tastier. Of course, our pigs are specially created in wholesome, down-home, American genetic laboratories, so maybe our bacon IS our bacon, and yours is yours.

TBH, I actually try to stick with this other concoction -- turkey bacon, which is also totally different from English turkey "rashers" -- to stave off the inevitable coronary in my future.    

1 hour ago, Seat68 said:

Perhaps they arent aware its bad, maybe they think its normal, like having no privacy at all in public toilets, they think its normal. I rarely if ever have bacon in the states, prefer sausage, which in my opinion they do quite well. Bacon though, they have to burn it to a crisp just to hide how bad it all is. no offence Merican Villans.

A few years ago, one of my son's friends stayed the night for a kids "sleepover" and that kid ate about 12 pieces of bacon for breakfast the next morning. Some Americans really love the stuff beyond reason or wisdom, and I just can't explain it. Some people do like it burned, but mostly not quite. It definitely does not belong on a FEB. It should not even be substituted. It would be better to have Canadian bacon if pushed. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Perhaps they arent aware its bad, maybe they think its normal, like having no privacy at all in public toilets, they think its normal. I rarely if ever have bacon in the states, prefer sausage, which in my opinion they do quite well. Bacon though, they have to burn it to a crisp just to hide how bad it all is. no offence Merican Villans.

they don't...the best you get is those chipolata things or a mcdonalds style patty. unless you've had drastically different experiences to me

on the subject of american bacon, the only way i make it tolerable in the states is to stick it between a couple of slices of bread to make a butty...and they look at me like i'm crazy for doing it. and don't get me started on their attempt at baked beans

but then this is a species that has waffles smothered in chocolate sauce for breakfast and chucks a load of sugar all over their eggy bread

as you can tell, breakfast is the meal i look forward to least across the pond

3 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

they don't...the best you get is those chipolata things or a mcdonalds style patty. unless you've had drastically different experiences to me

on the subject of american bacon, the only way i make it tolerable in the states is to stick it between a couple of slices of bread to make a butty...and they look at me like i'm crazy for doing it. and don't get me started on their attempt at baked beans

but then this is a species that has waffles smothered in chocolate sauce for breakfast and chucks a load of sugar all over their eggy bread

as you can tell, breakfast is the meal i look forward to least across the pond

Big fan of a sausage patty, but whenever I have eaten breakfast in the states I have "links" and they are always great.

Just now, Seat68 said:

Big fan of a sausage patty, but whenever I have eaten breakfast in the states I have "links" and they are always great.

clearly staying in much better hotels to me then!

though i do recall having a good sausage link at a diner in NY but i think it's closed now...evergreens or something

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tomav84 said:

My MIL is American and made waffles for my wife when she was younger. Consequently we have them several times a year as my wife makes them for our son and they do make a nice treat.

One of the local cafés also does a very nice French toast that goes great with a bit of bacon or some sausages.

32 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The Mrs added ‘cheesy’ hash browns to our FEB yesterday,

How we laughed taking her to A&E

I've thought about it on the basis that melted cheese is incredible but it just doesn't and won't ever work, over Xmas my wife was having bacon egg and cheese sandwiches which were OK but not better than without cheese

Cheese on toast with beans obviously, I've also done cheese on toast + bacon but with everything else thrown in it doesn't fit 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

I've thought about it on the basis that melted cheese is incredible but it just doesn't and won't ever work, over Xmas my wife was having bacon egg and cheese sandwiches which were OK but not better than without cheese

Cheese on toast with beans obviously, I've also done cheese on toast + bacon but with everything else thrown in it doesn't fit 

Cheese in toast with beans and a few grinds of chilli is heavenly 

• Like 2

Eggs getting a rough deal there as its split in to fried and scrambled

Its one of the 5 pillars of an English breakfast imo egg / bread (toast or fried) / sausage / bacon / beans, has to have all 5, additional items make it fuller but take one away and it's failed

To have fried egg at 65% and hash brown at 60% feels wrong

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Eggs getting a rough deal there as its split in to fried and scrambled

Its one of the 5 pillars of an English breakfast imo egg / bread (toast or fried) / sausage / bacon / beans, has to have all 5, additional items make it fuller but take one away and it's failed

To have fried egg at 65% and hash brown at 60% feels wrong

the lack of an egg, fried at best, scrambled as a request, is a deal breaker, as you quite rightly say its one of the five pillars, without it you arent delivering a FEB, you are delivering food on a plate.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Hash Browns have a more valid reason to be on a fry-up than beans imo. A decent egg yolk and half a tomato should be more than enough wet for the plate.

I’d personally sack off the tomato and have the beans. 

• Like 2

On 24/03/2023 at 17:00, Rds1983 said:

My MIL is American and made waffles for my wife when she was younger. Consequently we have them several times a year as my wife makes them for our son and they do make a nice treat.

One of the local cafés also does a very nice French toast that goes great with a bit of bacon or some sausages.

My missus is American. I regularly get waffles but there’s often also a side of grits. A substance I’d always wanted to try. It’s utterly revolting. Like eating dog vom. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, choffer said:

My missus is American. I regularly get waffles but there’s often also a side of grits. A substance I’d always wanted to try. It’s utterly revolting. Like eating dog vom. 

Poor cook must have caught the fits and threw them all away, so watch out for your corn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ml1dch said:

I'll let the hash browns slide  ,but remove the mushrooms , black pudding , tomato and beans and that's a perfect English breakfast  ..

Edited by tonyh29

2 hours ago, ml1dch said:

The 11% and 18% respectively who do not consider bacon and sausage the main ingredients on a FEB need to give their heads a wobble. 

Notice the cockneys have voted in the small print 

• Like 3

Â