January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Despite fearing being called a bed wetter I do think it's a shame that Emery specified that he wanted a winger, as well as a midfielder if Sanson and Nakamba left and it doesn't look like that'll occur, which in the process leaves us short on numbers/quality with around half of the season left to play.

If they couldn't get the targets in then that's just how the cookie crumbles though. Would be interesting to see if there were any loan deals going just to plug the gap until the summer.

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I remember being sat on the train home when we signed Borja Baston. A depressing day made even more depressing.

I remember when we signed Super Bosco Balaban.....such excitement..then total doom

Can't say I'm still overly thrilled with not getting another striker in, but assuming we can get Bertie fit again, then at least we have some forward cover, and a crazy dervish of unpredictability to come off the bench. 

I think in a sea of Gerrard mismanagement loaning him out was amongst the more baffling decisions at the time, as he could still have done a job for us creatively. I just hope he's the same player he was before the Turkish delight and knee injuries. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Expecting big things in the summer now then, the market has gone mad this month

I think, If this window has told me anything......it's don't expect, big things.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Indigo said:

Despite fearing being called a bed wetter I do think it's a shame that Emery specified that he wanted a winger, as well as a midfielder if Sanson and Nakamba left and it doesn't look like that'll occur, which in the process leaves us short on numbers/quality with around half of the season left to play.

If they couldn't get the targets in then that's just how the cookie crumbles though. Would be interesting to see if there were any loan deals going just to plug the gap until the summer.

Agreed 

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think, If this window has told me anything......it's don't expect, big things.

You can rationalise it though. Brighton just turned down 70 million for a midfielder who hasn’t even played 30 league games for them. The price of Gordon. If we are looking at quality upgrades it’s not going to be cheap and even less so in January 

So keeping the warchest for the summer - makes sense. I’m sure all are disappointed but I’m pleased we appear to have moved on from signing someone for the sake of it. 

We don’t need a back up to to Ollie we need to replace him so he becomes the back up option … not easy to do in January and post WC.

Edited by thabucks

5 minutes ago, Indigo said:

I get this to some degree but if we couldn’t get the top targets in now why not go for the squad options, such as the Moleiro’s, the Otario’s of this world. I would have liked us to try for, Kokcu at Feyenoord?

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think if this window has told me anything, its that the transfer window can get in the bin as a concept. So sick of it. Emery's done the right thing here and the club is being slated because loads of fans are trying to keep up with the Joneses and spending money for the sake of it.