January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

33 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Is Zaniolo a player we should be looking at? Looks like he’s got some decent attributes and a position we could use.

3 goals and 2 assists in his last 40 games and last I heard he was being linked with bournemouth for 30m. Then add in his injury record. Stay the **** away.

• Like 1

Interesting looking over the list of our signings when we first came back to PL 

What happened to the 12 Aston Villa players signed in £130m transfer spree - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

We did a lot better on those than I thought. 

I'd put in the no doubt "success" group due to the contributions they made or that we sold/can sell for a Profit on what we paid.

Mings, Konsa, Luiz, Targett, Hause (who only cost 3m). I'd also add Heaton who was a very good GK and his ACL injury shouldn't detracts from it being a good signing. 

The did "ok list" for me would be Anwar and Trez. They didn't cost a huge amount (about 8m each) and they contributed on the pitch in the first 2 seasons scoring some important goals. Both were sold for a few mil in the end. For me they served the club well enough. 

Didn't do well enough - I'd put Naka and Wesley - The former had the odd good game but not enough run of games like Anwar and Trez to have the impact they did. Also Wesley we'll never know what would have come for him without the horrific injury. I still feel he would have ended like a Trez though, sold for about half what we paid. 

Failures were Engles and Jota. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Interesting looking over the list of our signings when we first came back to PL 

What happened to the 12 Aston Villa players signed in £130m transfer spree - Birmingham Live (birminghammail.co.uk)

We did a lot better on those than I thought. 

I'd put in the no doubt "success" group due to the contributions they made or that we sold/can sell for a Profit on what we paid.

Mings, Konsa, Luiz, Targett, Hause (who only cost 3m). I'd also add Heaton who was a very good GK and his ACL injury shouldn't detracts from it being a good signing. 

The did "ok list" for me would be Anwar and Trez. They didn't cost a huge amount (about 8m each) and they contributed on the pitch in the first 2 seasons scoring some important goals. Both were sold for a few mil in the end. For me they served the club well enough. 

Didn't do well enough - I'd put Naka and Wesley - The former had the odd good game but not enough run of games like Anwar and Trez to have the impact they did. Also Wesley we'll never know what would have come for him without the horrific injury. I still feel he would have ended like a Trez though, sold for about half what we paid. 

Failures were Engles and Jota. 

Wesley would have been OK, not a world beater or headline getter, but solid. He was already better than Davis, was scoring goals and it appeared that at the time of his injury, it had ‘clicked’. Don’t forget he only just arrived arrived here - new country, new team, very young, and we were fighting for our lives, pretty poor really. He had a Brazil cap, he needed time and coaching, he was raw. 

Nakamba on paper is a failure but he has looked solid if limited. In a better set up he could prosper. Perversely, he looked best under Gerrard then was disappeared?

1 hour ago, Shaun Teales Moustache said:

Loved the JG days.  We were so close to being at the top of the pile for the next decade. What could have been with a bit more foresight.

13 minutes ago, Tubby said:

Loved the JG days.  We were so close to being at the top of the pile for the next decade. What could have been with a bit more foresight.

Or a good owner. Such an opportunity wasted. We could have been top 4. All those lost years. Shame.

2 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

So is this over 31st Jan at 11pm cos I'm bored now. If I see one more Birmingham Mail exclusive about sod all I'm gonna die

11pm on Tuesday January 31 (according to SKY Sports)

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

Or a good owner. Such an opportunity wasted. We could have been top 4. All those lost years. Shame.

Fully agree with this. Ellis’ approach to “running” AVFC held us back particularly in the early years of the Premier League. He was so risk averse we missed the opportunity to compete at the top. Remember, we came second in the first year of the Premier League - then slowly slid down to mediocrity and we all know what eventually happened. I could rant on but no point - we now have owners who seem to have a long term, strategic, approach to developing AVFC so let’s all be positive.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, PerryBarrPet said:

Fully agree with this. Ellis’ approach to “running” AVFC held us back particularly in the early years of the Premier League. He was so risk averse we missed the opportunity to compete at the top. Remember, we came second in the first year of the Premier League - then slowly slid down to mediocrity and we all know what eventually happened. I could rant on but no point - we now have owners who seem to have a long term, strategic, approach to developing AVFC so let’s all be positive.

In Ellis slight defence he could then point at Leeds, Newcastle and Chelsea before Abramovich of clubs that threw lots of money at it and were financially wrecked with little to show for it

3 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Still think we’ll see Guendouzi and another forward player come in. Maybe a winger as opposed to a striker.

I had a little flurry of optimism yesterday but I’ve gone back to thinking we’re probably done. I’m sort of ok with it if we’ve avoided overpaying for average players but then equally it would feel weird to start the second half of the season slightly weaker than the first.

1 hour ago, thunderball said:

Wesley would have been OK, not a world beater or headline getter, but solid. He was already better than Davis, was scoring goals and it appeared that at the time of his injury, it had ‘clicked’. Don’t forget he only just arrived arrived here - new country, new team, very young, and we were fighting for our lives, pretty poor really. He had a Brazil cap, he needed time and coaching, he was raw. 

Nakamba on paper is a failure but he has looked solid if limited. In a better set up he could prosper. Perversely, he looked best under Gerrard then was disappeared?

Yeah, Transfermarkt upgraded him to 30m from 20m in Dec 2019 so people must've thought he was getting the hang of it. He had 0.3 G+A per 90 in a struggling team and had 0.25G per 90 all from play. People forget how many of our squad struggled. Luiz in particular did during the first half of season and he turned out good in the end. 

• Like 1