January Transfer Window - 2023

messi11

Don't fancy any of those wingers for £30-60m and a huge salary. All good players, just don't think they're quite right for us at the moment. My favourite would be Chukwueze. Bit more explosive, bit less polished Bailey.

Nico Williams if we're going to Spain for a winger, but gawd knows what he'd cost.

We should immediately be working on Andreas Schjelderup and Roony Bardghji from the Scandinavian leagues. Before Brighton sign them and we then have to watch them move again for £60m.

18 minutes ago, Pissflaps said:

I personally don't think we will or should be signing anyone, we need to get the best out of what we have that has been underperforming first. 

Gun to head though I think the most glaring area for improvement is left wing, based on one game and how the approach to play may now be. 

Funny, I think Emery would have got alot out of El Ghazi you know....

we clearly need at least 2 players (in my opinion), regardless of what happens to the rest of our squad.

Granted we do need to offload a few players also.

tbf Young, Steer & Guilbert's contracts expire this summer.

Bednarek & Augustinsson will likely go back to their clubs.

Thats 5 down.

Traore, Davis, Nakamba, Ings & Wesley will only have 1 year left on their contract, maybe 1-4 of them can be offloaded for a reasonable fee (clearly we are stuck with Wesley).

thats 6-9 players out of the bloated squad.

Maybe we could also offload Hause also (2025 expiry), and make it a rounded 10 if we are lucky.....

Edited by MaVilla

1 hour ago, ozvillafan said:

Find it highly unlikely we'll sign Chukwuzeze after he rejected us for Chelsea

:trollface:

Nah, Chukwuzeze is the final stage evolution of Chuk.

(Pokémon joke, guilty, sorry)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, burchy said:

Gakpo has 9 goals and 12 assists in 13 league games for PSV, not sure on his market value though….40-50-60 mill? He’s not on mega money either as far as I tell. 

El Ghazi also smashing the goals in the Dutch league. Its difficult to judge. Plus I think Gakpo lacks the killer pace 

33 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Sarr makes sense imo. Obviously the club rate him highly as we've been interested for a few windows now. 

I like Sarr. Maybe we can attract even better talent tho

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, messi11 said:

El Ghazi also smashing the goals in the Dutch league. Its difficult to judge. Plus I think Gakpo lacks the killer pace 

To be fair to him he did alright here when he was played. I also thought Gakpo was pretty rapid as well, he’s certainly not slow in his vids

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

Sarr makes sense imo. Obviously the club rate him highly as we've been interested for a few windows now. 

4 shots off target in 1-0 loss to Coventry. Davis has 4 goals in near half the minutes at Watford

6 hours ago, VillaChris said:

DonyellMalen was massively hyped 18 months back in Dutch league. Don't think he's done much at Dortmund so they might loan him out with option to buy.

He has done nothing at Dortmund. Wouldnt get in our team

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, MaVilla said:

we clearly need at least 2 players (in my opinion), regardless of what happens to the rest of our squad.

Granted we do need to offload a few players also.

tbf Young, Steer & Guilbert's contracts expire this summer.

Bednarek & Augustinsson will likely go back to their clubs.

Thats 5 down.

Traore, Davis, Nakamba, Ings & Wesley will only have 1 year left on their contract, maybe 1-4 of them can be offloaded for a reasonable fee (clearly we are stuck with Wesley).

thats 6-9 players out of the bloated squad.

Maybe we could also offload Hause also (2025 expiry), and make it a rounded 10 if we are lucky.....

Troare and Ings could be epic for us though (is Troare still a Villa player?) 

Not sure about Sarr. Not sure he has the consistency.

I definitely agree that if we have a opening it's definitely for a winger. A speedy, right footer that can play both left and right.

Only other position I'd look at is right centre back. As for me Mings and Carlos (once he is fit) are good options for left centre back (Carlos prefers the left cb position) konsa for me is a midtable CB, Chambers is a good utility player for the defence. Bednarek is never going to be a permanent signing. If we can find a genuine top class right centre back, with leadership qualities, that would be ideal. Our defense would be rock solid then. 

Think Ollie will shine under Emery. I know certain Villa podcasters were saying he will struggle under Emery but that is BS. Ollie is just what Emery likes, hard working, intelligent, pacy, like to come inside from the left, stretches teams, and can hold it up a bit too. 

I don’t see much of a future for Ings though. Depending on if he likes Archer then in the summer Ings out and a replacement coming in. This will happen but the type of replacement will be Depending on if Archer has been able to gain the managers approval.

12 hours ago, Pinebro said:

Was meant as a tongue in cheek comment 😛 

I agree with you.

Thanks

sometimes Humour on the internet, is not so easy, to get across as face to face.....sorry, if I was prickly.

anyway, Back on topic

I don't think UE will be too quick to go out spending ,money, I think it will be more strategic.....and he is still keen to see, what improvements he can make, with the current squad.

I think NS and UE have huge respect for each other, and whilst NS will offer UE funds, I think UE will be sparing/ cautious with it.

I think a couple of quality additions, will be good, but I don't see wholesale changes.

However, I would like to see Pau Torres come in.

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Don't fancy any of those wingers for £30-60m and a huge salary. All good players, just don't think they're quite right for us at the moment. My favourite would be Chukwueze. Bit more explosive, bit less polished Bailey.

Nico Williams if we're going to Spain for a winger, but gawd knows what he'd cost.

We should immediately be working on Andreas Schjelderup and Roony Bardghji from the Scandinavian leagues. Before Brighton sign them and we then have to watch them move again for £60m.

Would be fantastic to have him at Villa. But at the same time I'd like him to stay at FCK to get as much senior football as possible.

I'm actually glad we have a little while until January. As we've seen with Bailey, it's difficult to evaluate potential under the new coaching regime. A few weeks ago we were saying that Bailey isn't good enough and we need an upgrade there. If he can play like he did against Man U with regularity perhaps not. I think after a few weeks of Unai's coaching we might find our priorities for January shift somewhat. 

FWIW if we are, going forward, looking at a 4-2-3-1 I do think we need another wide player who can get goals (although perhaps not at the expense of Bailey). If it turns out Watkins get's earmarked for an inside forward role, we will need another striker. 

I would have really liked De Ketelaere to boost our attacking options before he went to AC. 

Sarr is good and probably attainable in January.

That said, if we want to push for Europe next season I'd rather we keep our powder dry til the summer and get our real top targets in key positions.

I would think we'll be looking at a striker and a winger at a minimum and we need to aim high if we want to press on. It's got to be quality over quantity at this stage. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I'm actually glad we have a little while until January. As we've seen with Bailey, it's difficult to evaluate potential under the new coaching regime. A few weeks ago we were saying that Bailey isn't good enough and we need an upgrade there. If he can play like he did against Man U with regularity perhaps not. I think after a few weeks of Unai's coaching we might find our priorities for January shift somewhat. 

FWIW if we are, going forward, looking at a 4-2-3-1 I do think we need another wide player who can get goals (although perhaps not at the expense of Bailey). If it turns out Watkins get's earmarked for an inside forward role, we will need another striker. 

I would have really liked De Ketelaere to boost our attacking options before he went to AC. 

He's struggled to settle at Milan and has looked pretty average so far.

• Shocked 1