Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

I was all for trying to get  Kephrem Thuram from Nice to help support the Kamara/Luiz double pivot option but would be happy saving the cash and have Dendonker here whilst Tim gets up to speed

• Like 2

I didn't really understand the criticism he was getting when Gerrard was manager, he's never going to make an impact if you bring him on in games when we're losing as he's not that type of player, not someone you'd bring on to change a game.

He's kind of like the player that Jedinak became in his later years, albeit Dendoncker is more comfortable in possession and a better passer in general play, which he had to be in that Wolves team that did well a couple of seasons back, they were a counter-attacking team, but also all their players knew how to look after the ball as well.

He's a good player albeit one I didn't understand why we signed at the time, especially as Luiz stayed, and we also have Kamara, and at the time Iroegbunam coming through as a DM... 'and at the time Iroegbunam coming through as a DM' 🧐... but he looks to be developing into a very good box-to-box midfielder at the moment, and maybe that will be his long term position.

Also Gerrard was playing one sitting midfielder and two eights, if Emery is more liable to play with un doble pivote then having him, Luiz, and Kamara as three options makes more sense.

When we signed him we all felt it was an underwhelming capture. But I alway saw thought it was a smart signing. The size and aggression he brings are something we have lacked for a long time. He isn't a match winner, he isn't nice to watch, just effective at protecting his back four, really gets stuck in.

Re the other comments recently.

He's not flash, he's not jazzy, but he's a big, powerful, tall bloke who knows how to get stuck in when needed, and although he won't do the Hollywood passes he is perfectly competent at recycling the ball safely and competently.

a good player at the base of the team to allow the more creative players to do their thing.

I really like him, he does a job and does it well imo.

It's all about balance, and for me he does offer balance to our team.

On 08/11/2022 at 08:57, Philosopher said:

When we signed him we all felt it was an underwhelming capture. But I alway saw thought it was a smart signing. The size and aggression he brings are something we have lacked for a long time. He isn't a match winner, he isn't nice to watch, just effective at protecting his back four, really gets stuck in.

Apart from when he played against us for Wolves ☹️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

He reminds me of Jedinak a little, but much more on the ball quality…. But not flashy as others have said 

He's more mobile than Jedinak. Not sure about more quality on the ball. Wolves fan moaned non-stop about his poor passing. But then he was alongside Moutinho and Neves.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

He's more mobile than Jedinak. Not sure about more quality on the ball. Wolves fan moaned non-stop about his poor passing. But then he was alongside Moutinho and Neves.

Yeah, I agree more mobile than Jedi… but similar in some ways

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Is dendonker a starter for belgium anyone know or just a squad filler?*

46 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

I wouldn't think so.

Belgium have very strong midfielders.

i think he's more of a squad player, below are all of Belgium's games for 2022 (highest is most recent fixture).

Netherlands - Nations League - not in match squad

Wales - Nations League - unused sub

Poland - Nations League - started at right centre back (of a 3)

Wales - Nations League - started at right centre back (of a 3)

Poland - Nations League - started at right centre back (of a 3)

Holland - Nations League - unused sub

Burkina Faso - Friendly - came of as sub.

Ireland - Friendly - started at Midfield Centre (of a 2).

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

However funny this is on face value (as we all hated Gerrard), i really hope it isnt true, to have a head scout overseeing a transfer that the manager isnt even aware of until they turn up for their medical, sounds like some back alley league 2 levels of club incompetency.

As with everything Preece related, i imagine there might be a kernel of truth in the story somewhere, but i find it hard to believe this is true as stated.

can you imagine our chief scout having a player turn up for a medical and Emery isnt even aware we were in for them?, yikes, amateur stuff.

the only excuse for this happening (imo), is the board etc knew they were going to sack Gerrard, and we were making transfers with a view to knowing he wasnt going to be there long??

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

However funny this is on face value (as we all hated Gerrard), i really hope it isnt true, to have a head scout overseeing a transfer that the manager isnt even aware of until they turn up for their medical, sounds like some back alley league 2 levels of club incompetency.

As with everything Preece related, i imagine there might be a kernel of truth in the story somewhere, but i find it hard to believe this is true as stated.

can you imagine our chief scout having a player turn up for a medical and Emery isnt even aware we were in for them?, yikes, amateur stuff.

the only excuse for this happening (imo), is the board etc knew they were going to sack Gerrard, and we were making transfers with a view to knowing he wasnt going to be there long??

Possibly or maybe Gerrard had asked for a midfielder before deadline day and none of the first choice targets were available so we had to go ahed and sign Dendoncker and Gerrard knew little about because he was to busy posting videos of himself on Instagram? Or maybe Preece is talking through his backside ..

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Possibly or maybe Gerrard had asked for a midfielder before deadline day and none of the first choice targets were available so we had to go ahed and sign Dendoncker and Gerrard knew little about because he was to busy posting videos of himself on Instagram? Or maybe Preece is talking through his backside ..

ye possibly!

either way, Dendoncker looks a decent signings, and we got rid of slippy....so all's well that ends well ;)

• Like 2

Gerrard really had bizarre blindspot with our midfield options. After the Arsenal game he was half expecting Luiz to go to Arsenal so we'd really have been light in that area if that had happened if he wasn't getting anyone else in.

With Kamara injury then happening a few weeks later I have no idea what we'd have done in that area bar of course McGinn playing every single minute.

Probably would've just been Nakamba-McGinn-Ramsey (with Sanson still struggling to even get on the bench). Very bleak and will hopefully feel a very long time ago when we sign another top CM in one of next two transfer windows.

Edited by VillaChris

Â