Leander Dendoncker

HalfTimePost

4 hours ago, MaVilla said:

you know what, if we are going to play the midfield holding two under Emery, for the first time....in basically ever, i can happily say i think the midfield two is one of our strongest positions now.

i cant believe im saying that lol.

with kamara, Luiz & Dendoncker, then one of Sanson or Timmy, or someone else as the 4th option, i honestly think basically most other areas of the pitch need upgrading before our central midfield now.

madness.....its been a running joke with Villa that our central midfield was a big problem, so nice to have three quality players for the holding midfield 2, rather than the old hat of wedging Ramsey & McGinn etc in to a midfield 3 and it being a mess week after week.

the 442 hybrid/4231 suits our players so much better, and we finally have 2-3 quality central midfielders.

I agree.

The puzzling question for me is.....why did it take so long to address, under successive managers?

3 hours ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

He's a good player, versatile and calm on the ball.

A tough match for Belgium as I thought Canada deserved something but they never got much against Dendoncker.

match saving tackle at the end.

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Remember when Gerrard bought him and then proceeded to leave him on the bench every game while still persisting with McGinn, and then only bringing on Dendoncker when we were trailing games in the 80th minute?

I heard today, that SG didn't sign him.....The chief scout did.

now whether thats true or not, I don't know.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

We've moved away from Managers making all the signings since NSWE took over. Dean Smith said as much that he had a wishlist he would put forward but that was it

• Like 3

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Yes . I think in the middle of a Birmingham Live online q & a , they dropped that one and said that Gerrard didnt even know until he was in the door having his medical.  I thought it was a typical BL bullshit comment but seems it was true . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Mantis said:

Remember when Gerrard bought him and then proceeded to leave him on the bench every game while still persisting with McGinn, and then only bringing on Dendoncker when we were trailing games in the 80th minute?

Genius at work.

Guy's a bigger fraud than Clinton Baptiste.

Edited by Tom13

12 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

We've needed a solid DM for years. I think he'll turn out to be a really decent bit of business for us. 

to be honest i wasnt 100% sure about the signing initially.

However, the more i see him, and the more i see what he's all about, i think it was a brilliant signing.

the guy isnt flashy, cant/doesnt do Hollywood passes, but he is a great DM who offers physicality, power, height etc, and tbh he is really good at the simple recycling of the ball, basic but successful passes etc, exactly what we need.

i think his only real obvious weakness is speed/agility, but tbh, if he is just sitting in that DM position and shielding the back 4, if his positional play is decent it isnt a huge issue, but yeah, it is a weakness for sure.

Overall though, really great signing.

42 minutes ago, The Other Mat said:

We've needed a solid DM for years. I think he'll turn out to be a really decent bit of business for us. 

Couldn't believe Wolves let him go let alone didn't play him much

Edited by Kiwivillan

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Couldn't believe Wolves let him go let alone didn't play him much

to be fair, until Emery came here we didnt play him much either......apart from in the last 10 mins of the odd game when chasing a game....weirdly.

Gerrard, yikes.

2 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s a good squad player and a bargain at 13m. I think the negative reactions when we signed him were more around the resentment of Gerrard than anything else. 

I think you are right. That and the wolves fans apparently being desperate for us to take him. However from our side it was defo more about who we were bringing in when we clearly had other areas which needed to be improved upon. Or at least what we thought we needed to improve upon, until Emery came in and showed how a proper coach can work with a squad of players… 

I like Leander. You don’t get to play for Belgium by being rubbish. He also kept Faes out the team who has been excellent for Leicester and is a natural CB. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tayls said:

I think you are right. That and the wolves fans apparently being desperate for us to take him. However from our side it was defo more about who we were bringing in when we clearly had other areas which needed to be improved upon. Or at least what we thought we needed to improve upon, until Emery came in and showed how a proper coach can work with a squad of players… 

I like Leander. You don’t get to play for Belgium by being rubbish. He also kept Faes out the team who has been excellent for Leicester and is a natural CB. 

Faes should be playing to be fair as should many younger Belgium players and it should have cost them yesterday. But that’s one for the World Cup thread.  Dendonker deserves his place though. 

• Like 1

Â